Stoner rock

Soilwork

Anyone else hear dig the genre.. if so i can give you a few youtube links/band names..etc pm we can have a chat.. not sure what the rules are on linking to youtube band pages and all that shit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I do love me some stoner/psych rock.. Lately I've been listening to stoned meadow of doom's channel on youtube, great music/bands that I've wouldn't found otherwise..

Yep he would be one of my recomended channels. Dope right?

Sent from my SM-G900I using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I don't know what stoner rock you guys are talking about but I just wanted to let you know that you absolutely can post music videos here. In the row of icons, the second one from the right is the icon to use if you want to post a video.

Yes, i don't know what Stoner rock is. I've been in a rock band before and would like to know this genre. A music video will be great for a sample of songs.

Here's what Wikipedia says the definition of stoner rock is:

Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a heavily distorted, groove laden bass-heavy sound, melodic vocals, and "retro" production. The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss and Sleep.

I don't know if this one fits under "Stoner Rock" but I love listening to it when I'm high:

[video=youtube_share;ygdVEIrVnIk]
[/video]

Here's what Wikipedia says the definition of stoner rock is:
The genre emerged during the early 1990s

This definition made me chuckle — of course most music genre definitions do. I guess I'm just old, but stoner rock to me is Jimi, Cream, Deep Purple, early Genesis etc etc. That's what I listened to when I first got stoned. Now, I am a new (as in just released) music junkie. My playlist changes weekly.

Those you tube compilations are amazing there are heaps of them. Have a look at Pink Floyd's live at Pompeii. Its old school stoner rock which is where i cut my teeth on this genre. I'm addicted to this one at the moment. Makes me want to go out and buy a bass guitar and learn how to play it. [video=youtube;mPDTTetkIJQ]
[/video]

I thing the term stoner rock is really too generic. I mean I love me some Tool, especially when I'm stoned, but I wouldn't call them stoner rock. But to go along with the definition of 90's stoner rock, you have to include Ween: YouTube

Also Ween sideproject Moistboyz is fun: YouTube

Yo yo of peace dude! As you can tell by my username I'm a ween fan but you really got my attention when you said Moistboyz! I wouldn't consider either sooner Rock but at the same time I would not say your classification was wrong. It's just great to see someone else on here or anywhere into both of those bands!

Rock on!

:theband:

Bananas and Blow Bananas and Blow Bananas and Blow! What about Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age, Clutch, Them Crooked Vultures & Jack White to name a few. Corrosion of Conformity goes way back with Masters of Reality. Kyuss was just after those guys. Wolfmother, I don't know if anyone remembers that, that was cool! The Melvins are sick. So is The Sword. My favorites are not really stoner rock but close sometimes; Mastodon! I never realized how many Stoner Rock bands I liked until it was brought up.

Absolutely love stoner rock...it is such a broad term but the stoner bands of today will cite so many different influences it's no wonder it's such a varied genre. My band (I say band it's just me!) Take influence from all sorts from classic rock to 60s pop, horror films...any thing that just makes you feel warm and fuzzy haha.

Back
Top Bottom