Failed test

Rell01

I want to know if anyone else has had any experiences like this. I took a urine test for work after not smoking for 3 weeks and I also took a detox drink and tested myself 4 times, 2 times before the test and 2 times immediately after. All tests were negative, they were the dip tests from a head shop. So a few days after I took the test I received a call from the lab saying they showed positive for THC. They did a carboxy-thc gc/ms confirmation with a cutoff of 15ng/ml and mine was at 33ng/ml, but the initial cutoff at the lab was 50ng/ml. So my question is if my confirmation test was 33 and the initial cutoff was 50 why did they have to do a confirmation, shouldn't I have passed the initial cutoff and a confirmation test was not needed? I hope this makes sense and hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I feel I'm getting screwed over.

If you pop a positive on the strip test they automatically send it off for GC/MS confirmation to find out exactly what the substance was and at what levels.
A 15ng cutoff level is pretty low. I would read up on the companies official policy for testing and what cutoff levels are to be used for determination of a positive hit. If there own regs say the 50ng cutoff limit is whats to be used then if they fire you you have legal recourse. Depending on which state you live in you can have the Dept of Labor and Industries file the lawsuit for you.

I had the choice to either resign or enter a substance abuse program. I'm just not understanding how if their initial cutoff is 50ng/ml and my piss was obviously below that. The GC/MS test seems unnecessary.

They would not be able to tell what levels of thc you had in your urine from a strip test, only that it cam up positive and then its sent off for GC/MS testing to determine levels and exactly what the substance is.
If the levels were at 33ng they shouldn't be firing you if thats what their policy manual says about a 50ng cutoff level.
It could just be company policy that every sample gets tested with GC/MS. Thats why subbing with synthetic is a better way to go to be sure of [passing.

The cut off level is 50 ng and if your one ng above they send it for confirmation and run it through the GC/MS and the the cut off level for that is 15 ng. If you test positive by law they have to spin it down to find out just how much you have in your system. Now if you come in at 49 ng per mL they by law they have to stop and call it a negative.

Yeah I'm not sure why they did the GC/MS test. According to the lab they only tested one of the two viles and I don't get how it was above 50 on the immunassy but 33 on the more accurate GC/MS test. As far as I know the GC/MS wasn't request by my office. The lab did a five panel and the only GC/MS test was done for THC and not the other drugs.

The GC/MS test is done to find other THC metabolites than the strip tests look for. The EMIT(strip tests) look for just one thc metabolite,THC-COOH. The GC/MS is able to test for precise levels of thc where the strip tests just test down to the 50ng cutoff level.
But still your GC/MS test said the levels were below the 50ng cutoff levels. Thats why its important to find out what they have for levels in the operation manuals to see if they violated their own rules. If they did you have a lawsuit.

A little updated with my issue. I was put on work probation for 12 months with a document that was signed by HR, Office Manger and myself from July 14, 2015 to July 14, 2016 and in that 12 months I was to have 6 random tests. I had to have 5 sessions with a substance abuse counselor which after the first session she basically said that we were both wasting our time and she didn't think any more sessions were needed and she told that to the people running the probation shit, but they insisted all 5 get done. We had 4 more bs sessions over the phone to complete the 5. So I stopped blazing for a while and took my first two tests for the probation and 1 that was needed for a project and all the test are good because I'm clean. After a while I decided that I was going to blaze up again and use synthetic for my tests. I do 3 more randoms bring the total to 5 with my additional for the project. Last test was in April and I was waiting for my last test to be scheduled in June or July right before the 12 month period was over and no test was scheduled. At the beginning of August I ask my HR for my probation release paperwork and she says no you have one more test and I told her the probation period was clearly defined by the probation contract that was signed and we go back and forth and she puts the blame on everyone, but her for why my last test wasn't scheduled within the period and is full of BS excuses and basically says that if I want to get off the work probation I have to take the last test or else I'd be in violation, so a month and a half after the probation end date she schedules the test for Aug 29 which is tomorrow. I'm 99% sure what she is doing is not legal, but I don't want to run the risk of losing my job, so I'm going to take it tomorrow using synthetic like I've been using. I'm in the process of looking for a new job and the whole reason is this BS. My bosses are pissed at the unfairness of this as am I, but little does everyone know is that they are going to lose their only senior guy to another company because of this mess which will keep me at home with no travel and then I can begin my grow business in Denver.

Well how did it go?

I ended up taking the lat test around Aug 24 just because I didn't have a job lined up yet. Passed the test using synthetic. I found a new job that will pay me the same and keep me at home with no travel which I start on the 24th. I got the job offer letter the other day and accepted. They didn't require a pre employment drug screen either and on the offer letter it just states that I have to pass a physical. Nothing in the offer letter states that I have to take a piss test.

Back
Top Bottom