Problem if I'm getting hair-tested for pre-employment?

JLG480

Just recently got my urine test results and it was too diluted(but negative) for the conclusion to be valid so recently I received a call from my employers saying that they'll have to make me retake the drug test through my hair follicle next week on Thursday, Dec. 8th. I'm freaking out right now because I've had one very light hit of weed about a month ago(On Nov. 6th) and between 3-4 casual/light hits a little over 3 months ago(on a Labor Day weekend on September) and I've been told by many people that a hair test can detect up to 90 days or possibly over a year depending if they decided to get a sample from my body hair instead of my head hair.

A few questions;

What state are you in? What type of job? In any case, sounds like your usage/exposure has been minimal and you may not test positive. I think you can relax a little.

PM me the details, perhaps can help.

A few questions;

What state are you in? What type of job? In any case, sounds like your usage/exposure has been minimal and you may not test positive. I think you can relax a little.

PM me the details, perhaps can help.

I live in Mesa, AZ. I'm drug-testing for a communications assistant job position for a company in Scottsdale, AZ(it's like a call center job, minus putting up with angry customers).

Well, it sounds like your exposure was minimal. While the tests that use hair will cover a much longer time span than urine test (weeks or months v days) the chance that you will come up positive is slim given your light use. All drug testing systems that I have worked with ( as an HR professional) will use a MRO / medical review officer ( usually an MD ) to review any positive results. This generally is for possible false positives and the use of legitimately prescribed medications or foods that could affect the test result. You would be asked for the prescription record.

AZ is a medical marijuana state. If your test does come up positive, try telling the MRO that you had some limited exposure in the past due to second hand smoke in a household where medical marijuana was used legally and your test result was from incidental exposure in that household.

It may or may not work, but it is a plausible legal explanation that they may accept. Remember, even in states where medical use is legal, it is not ok to be impaired buy substances while at work and they can legally deny employment or terminate employees who test positive.

If you have the time and money, a legal opinion may provide additional guidance, start with the states NORMAL office or the bar association for recommendations. The worst that can happen, is that you will not be hired. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom