New job - May require CDL & random testing - Anyone with experience on randoms?

Dodowannabe

First off, this is a long post.. Sorry, I am just really stressing and nervous.

Okay so I have been working a dead end job for way too long now. I applied for a job, a public sector job for a municipal department. My job does NOT require me to have a CDL, however, they are already encouraging me to get it (havn't even started yet..) and according to the employee handbook, all CDL employees are subject to random drug testing.

First off, the position they offered me specifically does not require a CDL, they asked if I had a CDL during the interview and like an idiot I said that I do not, but wouldn't be against getting one in the future..

HR has emailed me asking me to go get a CDL med evaluation, I responded with saying that I did not have my CDL and was told it wasn't a requirement. HR responded yes it is not a requirement, however the director (the person who interviewed me) said I was possibly interested in obtaining one and they thought this was a good opportunity for me to broaden my skills and earn more over time opportunity..

I didn't know how to respond.. So I wrote at this time id rather not obtain it if it is not a requirement, but would possibly be interested in getting one if a position opened for me that required it..

HR responded with okay thats not a problem, thank you.

But i can't help but feel like red flags have been raised - And if they ask about it, I plan on telling them I have a slight anxiety problem which Id like to eventually overcome, but right now I just do not feel comfortable driving big trucks.

However, if they are wanting me to get a CDL although not required before I have even started working there yet, I can only imagine that is something they might pressure on me later.. and this is a career type job.

My issue is, I am a very heavy smoker. I have switched from flowers to concentrates about 3 - 4 months ago, and my tolerance has only gotten higher since. I roughly dab about .5g of concentrate, daily. I have already taken a pre-employment drug test, which I subbed with quick fix 6.1.

I am just not sure how the randoms work, if I am ever subject to them. They still send you out to a lab like labcorp, or quest correct? I was sent there for my pre-employment.

**Rant - US laws are so ridiculous.. I know too many people who felt forced to stop smoking because of work, only to fall down the path of alcoholism. When will a new test be invented where they can test if you are currently under the influence or not?! I never plan on going to work stoned, but what I want to do on my own personal time should be up to me..

re: New job - May require CDL & random testing - Anyone with experience on randoms?

just to add to this,

My job requires testing by US DOT guideline. my pre-employment test came back positive. (I had no warning about it) now I am in a Return to Duty program and I was never on duty to begin with. This requires 6 Random tests within a 12 month period. Random testing only gives you about a 2-3 hour notice if lucky. and supervised if under suspicion from inconlusive diluted or proven subbed tests

that's the most I know from reading the DOT approved return to duty program with random tests. I have stopped smoking and consuming and yes started drinking lol.

I do wish the could test a little more fairly for MJ use. I know people who drive for a living and do coke and when test time comes they usually have it out their system cuz they did it over a week ago.

re: New job - May require CDL & random testing - Anyone with experience on randoms?

Jeez.. I knew that after you pee dirty (or even diluted, or they catch you with synthetic..) they make you do jump through hoops. My only hope is that I do not have to get my CDL.. Although my friends older brother has been a trucker for like at least 7 - 8yrs now, still smokes like a chimney. Always is prepared though, he has told me sometimes at weigh stations on the highway they test you right there on the spot!

To be safe, I ordered 4 quick fixes. I guess my plan is to carry on one me at all times until I can figure out what this job really entails. My worry is, I am such a heavy smoker it will take a longgg time before I am peeing clean.

And yea, the god damn laws... The problem really lies with marijuana being a sch 1 drug, which needs to be changed asap. I know a ton of union guys who drink heavy, blow lines on Friday and are peeing clean come Monday. But that lifestyle isn't for me.. I really do not enjoy alcohol whatsoever. Lol can you believe I heard that as a CDL driver, you are allowed to be on a prescription opiate upto 20mg? And those DOT drug tests do not test for benzo's.. Id be terrified of someone behind the wheel of a big rig loaded up on xanax.

Back
Top Bottom