Lighting and glass

alantesla33

Does anyone know how much or what spectrums of light you lose when the light has to go through glass. Say and air cooled hood.

Well if your hood has glass to form vacuum as in an air cooled hood. You will lose some of your light as it has to pass through that before reaching your flowers. Does anyone know what you lose from this.

I know it's very very minuscule but I figured someone out there knows not to mention the additional glass heats up and holds it needing even more circulation and you can only move air so fast to cool it

Well if your hood has glass to form vacuum as in an air cooled hood. You will lose some of your light as it has to pass through that before reaching your flowers. Does anyone know what you lose from this.
I'm not sure but I'm sure if we did some digging we would be able to find out. I wonder if LED lights would be the same? I imagine it is but now I'm also intrigued

I feel like you wouldn't lose much because led is so direct and concentrated you lose less far less.
I don't have glass around my bulbs.

You can measure the difference in light levels before and after the glass is removed with a light meter.

For my 330 watt draw power LED, there's 7.5% more light with the glass removed or +25 watts more light that wasn't being converted to heat. I had two of them running, so an extra 50 watts of light for nothing seemed a worthwhile decision to make.

On the safety side, I don't mist or do any spraying under lights.

I can't remember exactly when I was looking this up a while back, but I want to say its around 10-15% light loss with the glass.

You can measure the difference in light levels before and after the glass is removed with a light meter.

For my 330 watt draw power LED, there's 7.5% more light with the glass removed or +25 watts more light that wasn't being converted to heat. I had two of them running, so an extra 50 watts of light for nothing seemed a worthwhile decision to make.

On the safety side, I don't mist or do any spraying under lights.
I hope not lol. But I think I would like to try it without the glass. May increase yield some. But like you I would have to be careful.

Back
Top Bottom