Web Server Maintenance: Site Down For RAM Upgrade

Founder
We'll be taking one of our servers offline shortly, to double the RAM. We are hoping this resolves any performance issues, since expanding our archive search. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your patience, understanding and support, we are truly grateful. :Namaste:

During the upgrade yesterday, we discovered one of the RAM modules was DOA, so we are waiting for the replacement and will move forward again in the coming week. We apologize for any performance issues until this gets resolved. :thanks:

The new RAM has arrived, been tested and about to be installed in the web server.

Please excuse any downtime, should only be for about 15 minutes or so. :thanks:

RAM upgrade complete, the site seems to be loading much faster now. :thumb:

Ya know... I might disagree. I've seen some really slow page loads. So slow that I did a touch of digging and see no issues with ping times... ~60ms.... so I assume it's not an issue with getting to 420Mag... something inside.
For example, every time I peek at the 'likes' page, it seems to take about 3 or 4 times the normal load time.
Completely anecdotal evidence based upon my experience with the site.... but something I noticed that seems to correspond with this upgrade.

Checking into it, thank you. Might have to do with the expansion of the search function we expanded from 100,000 results to a million, forcing us to double the RAM. It is in fact the culprit, we'll reduce the settings and reassess. :thanks:

I just bumped around a bit this morning. I was perceiving some other slow pages.... the unread threads page was slowish the other day, but seems to have improved after you spoke of the memory change. I was, in fact, noticing only the like page as the really slow page and perhaps pointing to that one too hard, but the squeaky wheel gets all the attention naturally. Previously, I had not noticed the SSL error.... probably the cause all along and nothing memory related.
Browser reports "Connection Partially encrypted" indicating the existence of some non-ssl content on a page.

Sorry to be vague and unhelpful with the details and whatnot... I was not trying for any sort of formal evaluation or testing... just noticing some slow pages and one extra-slow page, so wanted to mention it.

The site seems to be loading much quicker for me now. Before, it was quite laggy. Ok now though :)

Tead, can you please provide a screenshot of this error for our developers to research the issue?

Where specifically are you seeing this message and how are you accessing the message? :thanks:

Just ran into the SSL issue on the profile page.....
@Tead

Browser reports "Connection Partially encrypted" indicating the existence of some non-ssl content on a page.

Tead, can you please provide a screenshot of this error for our developers to research the issue?

Where specifically are you seeing this message and how are you accessing the message? :thanks:

Firefox browser.... ssl warning in url bar. It doesn't tell me the exact content.

TeadProfile1.jpg

TeadProfile2.jpg

TeadProfile3.jpg
I don't see any obvious indicator of the offending content... sorry. No indication of a broken image or link.
Hmmmm..... wonder what the source looks like.... did a very quick peek... no easy answers appeared to my eye.
Those 2 pages are still loading very slow.

Tried to upload and post the source code I'm seeing on this end... perhaps you can locate the offending link. I uploaded the file but dunno how to post a link to it here.

Man that SSL has been a nightmare for over a year. We first went SSL site wide, then realized it was blocking a large percentage of members with old computers. So we developed a way to allow older computers, but force SSL on devices that utilized it. Then Google said we have to be 100% SSL for full compliance, so we went back to forcing everyone to SSL. Maybe there is some leftover code from the dual SSL that our programmer left behind. We'll see when he checks in on Monday. Thanks for your help brother.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Man that SSL has been a nightmare for over a year. We first went SSL site wide, then realized it was blocking a large percentage of members with old computers. So we developed a way to allow older computers, but force SSL on devices that utilized it. Then Google said we have to be 100% SSL for full compliance, so we went back to forcing everyone to SSL. Maybe there is some leftover code from the dual SSL that our programmer left behind. We'll see when he checks in on Monday. Thanks for your help brother.

Yes... I've witnessed the SSL dance over the years and was happy when the site finally settled into SSL mode. And then we could have the discussion about if there's actually any point to it in today's age of crunching numbers with large amounts of iron, silicon....
Oh... and anytime.... happy I could point to an issue some.

Is this still a work in progress on the Ram upgrade possible problems?

I have tried twice to upload photos today and the page takes an average of 30 seconds to completely load, when I choose my photos it will show them uploading on that first page with the upload status bar on each photo. Once that status bar completes on all of them, they just disappear. They are not in the queue either.

For the past couple of hours it is taking a very long time to load any page I try, and sometimes it goes almost a full minute before loading completely. I have tried to close the site and start over, but get the same slow loading of pages.

I am using Google Chrome, all other websites are working fine and loading as expected. :)

:thanks:

Edit: I was finally able to fully upload the photos to gallery. The process took a very long time, probably close to 3 minutes total to get 4 photos through the whole process. :)

Back
Top Bottom