Opinions please

Philsthetent

Debating with my pal , he thinks bigger is better , and by bigger he MEANS bigger , I think a few smaller plants would be better and faster ... here's a glimpse of his idea of bigger -
420-magazine-mobile1435460156.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1069671172.jpg

I was like WOW they look gargantuan ....

Debating with my pal , he thinks bigger is better , and by bigger he MEANS bigger , I think a few smaller plants would be better and faster ... here's a glimpse of his idea of bigger -
420-magazine-mobile1435460156.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1069671172.jpg

I was like WOW they look gargantuan ....

Looks almost like they are outside .

Space being equal both SCROG and SOG can yield very similar results. The one you like best will produce the best for you.

/Obi

Well so far , my buddy has said he's going with more and smaller plants .... his ladies be willin out

A matter of taste I guess. I much prefer bigger plants- way simpler to manage one plant than lots of plants. My first few grows had about 40 in flowering and I've declined in numbers ever since. On the other hand, big plants indoors pretty much need to be topped and trained, while small plants are also fun and you can grow them completely untrained in their natural glory.

Depending on the strain and growing conditions, one plant should be capable of filling a personal-sized grow. That assumes a vegetative growing period of adequate length. This means there is only one plant to feed / water / care for. I guess it also means that if you let one plant die, the grow is dead (but I would consider this to be a rare occurrence). Obviously, you're also only dealing with one strain, so having multiple plants which have different flowering characteristics - rate of stretch, length (days) of stretch, total flowering period length - is not a consideration.

Single-plant grows tend to work well when the scrog style of training is utilized. They also work well in a DWC hydroponic setup; the grower should remember that he/she is shooting for a large plant, so a reservoir that is significantly larger than the oft-used five-gallon bucket is reasonable. I used to do eight-square feet per plant (I felt like any larger would become unwieldy) using 23- to 25-gallon totes - with lots and LOTS of aeration to keep the DO (dissolved oxygen) levels as high as possible. Given the temperatures that cannabis likes when it is receiving the most light that it can process, desired humidity levels, and healthy air movement, a large cannabis plant in flower can easily transpire several gallons of water per day. That large cannabis plant will also have a large root system, and its expected volume must be deducted from the volume of the reservoir when imagining how much space for liquid the grower wishes to have available. The grower might attempt to fill an even larger screen if the plant is to remain stationary for the entire grow and the grower feels confident that he/she will be able to access (reach) every point under the screen, even when it becomes mostly full, for the purpose of moving growing tips from the holes they are in to other holes when those tips have grown upwards more than... well, pretty much any time that they've become just long enough to reach a different hole, lol. Anyone that has done it before will be familiar with the... madness ;) .

If done correctly, the end result is a growing tip for each and every hole - that becomes a nice bud by harvest time - and every one of them are of comparable height so that the canopy is evenly lit. No undergrowth is allowed to remain, because there will not be enough usable light getting through the screen/canopy to be useful. On harvest day, saw through the main trunk, unhook the screen from the grow room walls, and carry it in to the dining room table, lol (best done with four hands).

This style of growing prohibits the perpetual harvest, where the grower harvests a few smaller plants each week. This could be an advantage, disadvantage, or "just a thing," depending on the grower. It does mean that harvest time will be a lot of work in one day instead of a little work on each week's harvest day. Many growers prefer to harvest and dry all at once so that the entire harvest may be curing, safely and securely stored.

Back
Top Bottom