The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

Tony Urban

Welcome to the 420 Fotographer Collective where we bring together the best growtographers for a fun and interactive discussion on gear, techniques, how-to sessions, or just to share a nice picture.

Here you will find biographies of real 420 members, what gear they use, what they grow, and some tips and tricks to help you take better photos.

This is very important. Having a good camera, gear, and post production software mean nothing. Incredible art can be captured with any camera. Do not get fooled. Todays smart phones and point and shoot cameras kick some serious butt. If you want to know about using a DSLR technique with a point and shoot. Ask away. Someone will help you.

Everyone is welcome here, as is standard at 420 Magazine, and you are encouraged to ask questions or show off something you find helpful. Now, this is not your beginners thread, as there are a few camera basics and photography terms you should be familiar with before diving into the advanced stuff. Now that said, you can jump right in, because we will show you and you are just that smart. Pick and choose what works for you.

:thumb:

Understanding the owners manual of your camera is important. Here are a few other links to help you get started:

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

To get us started we will require some experts. An expert is anyone with an advanced understanding of something compared to the average general public. So in that frame of reference I am going to call upon some folks to share their love of cannabis and photography with us. In reality we will all improve together.

If you have been tagged in this, or feel you should have been, please quote the following post and fill out the questions to the best of your comfort.

Cheers,

UrbanAchiever

@MagicJim @imtoasted @kelticBlue @SwAggNiFiCeNt @dr.h00k @bobrown14 @Amadeus Forzin @Pennywise @rooster @DobeWan @Sphnx @TheMadDabber @Agemon @Cola Monster @Nicholas Flamel

I know I will have missed a few photographer type folks, admins, others due to the sheer size of this site. If this resonates with you please join the conversation.

The 420 Fotographer Collective - Member Bio

Username:

Grow method and strains:

Camera, Lenses and Gear:

Experience level and photography background:

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various)

Favourite lens or type of shot:

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers:

Other introductory options:

Please share 1 of you favourite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to.

Choose a few of your favourite photos and share them.

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can’t live without.

Share the link to other photography related content you have created.

Welcome!

Username:
UrbanAchiever lol. Named after a fictional group in the movie The Big Lebowski

Grow method and strains:
I personally grow in living organic soil for now. Its my first grow. Currently have some HSO Green Crack and Blue Dream, and an Amnesia OG, flowering up. Should be done in the next few weeks. Got a few jordan of the island genetics up next.

Camera, Lenses and Gear:
I currently have a Canon D80 with a T1i as a backup. My current lineup of lenses is the 18-55mm kit lens, a 100mm F2.8 Macro, 70-200mm F4L, and a Sigma 10-22mm F3.5. The 70-200mm is in the shop getting the internal gears fixed after two too many drops.

I am sporting a small manfrotto tripod that is pretty sweet. I have a bunch of things I don't really use much. I have an external flash and gary fong light diffuser kit that I might try tonight. Found a grey card that I thought I lost...new one is already on the way...and a few filters not in use.

My best item is a reflector that I purchased for $15. Best value of any equipment I own, hands down.

3C0659F2-1523-4DE8-A91C-D1AA6CCADC1C.jpeg

I am just some dude. I have very little artistic talent. I messed around with point and shoots for a while. Liked taking pictures of plants. Eventually got a decent camera, Canon 500D or t1i, and started absorbing stuff off the web. Eventually I signed up for an online photography course. I didn't finish it lol.

I also take photographs of other faster moving stuff so my gear has a mix to reflect that.

I am a bit of a hybrid. I like the outdoor scenes, with some action stuff, and a ton of macro plant stuff. I like things that let me stare at them. I look for patterns, textures, variations in light. I like groups of 3. I like fine detail. Movement. Sometimes I get lucky.

I love the macro shots with my 100mm macro. Its creamy goodness. I also miss my 70-200 as it does the same thing but a bit wider angle. Gonna be sweet if it shows up the next few days. I haven't snapped one photo with it yet this grow.

Read your manual and understand the concepts it lays out. It goes a long way.

Please share 1 of you favourite photos and explain why it works so well for you. What equipment did you use?

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can't live without.

Welcome!

Thank you!

I am going to have to talk about a critical piece of equipment. A light reflector. It cost me about $15. It has a reversible jacket, with a gold reflective side, a silver reflective side, a white side, a black side, and the interior is a circular light diffuser. It really helps manipulate light. I highly recommend one.

Here is a set up of a photo I took a while back. I will pick a photo I think was used in this example with the reflector working its magic. Supplementing light on the underside.

0CAB87ED-92B4-4F6E-977F-B60C4DAC290F.jpeg

A99B5232-0160-479A-B886-86396C60B7F5.jpeg

Welcome to the 420 Collective!

Grow method and strains: I grow year round on the coast of Maine in an active solar heated greenhouse I built. I prefer using soil using worm castings from my worm farm and I usually mix it 50/50 with Pro-mix. I use 3/7/20/25 gallon fabric pots. I grow White Widow, CB Dream, Northern Lights (NL) , NL & Big Bud Auto, Low Ryder Auto, CB Dutch Treat. We make most of our crop into soaps, salves, oils, and give the rest away to friends.

Camera, Lenses and Gear: Canon 20D. 24-105mmL lens.

Experience level and photography background: Shooting for 10+ years for personal.

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various) Mostly shooting the beautiful things surrounding me...

Favourite lens or type of shot: never took a bad shot of my kids...

If you could give 2 tips for new photographers: Nothing beats sunlight. Invest in a simple mono/tripod.

IMG_89767.jpg
IMG_90203.jpg

I'll pull a chair up In here. Not one for bios or cameras for that matter. All my photos come from a Sony xperia X mobile phone, the only camera I own. I'll share some pics in here from time to time, only the pretty ones tho :passitleft:

Well we will have to consider that your bio lol.

Thats incredible. Some pretty sweet photos taken with a camera phone. I love it. People need to see that they don’t need a fancy camera to take sweet photos. Care to share a few that you have taken on the Sony that you said to yourself, wow?

Here to learn from the mags best ����

I’m just a noob when it comes to cameras, I have a nice digital camera but I need to learn how to use it. Most of my pics are with an iPad 4.

Ready...

Canon 20D that I have abused for years. Shot from this year...
IMG_89767.jpg
IMG_90203.jpg

I'll pull a chair up In here. Not one for bios or cameras for that matter. All my photos come from a Sony xperia X mobile phone, the only camera I own. I'll share some pics in here from time to time, only the pretty ones tho :passitleft:

Here to learn brother!!! Teach me Master Yoda!! I am but a middle aged padawa!

Well we will have to consider that your bio lol.

Well individually we have some good strengths. But together, like all the great 420 threads, we can drop all these strengths into a thread for others to feed off of. I am certainly no expert. I have a contribution to make to the greater good. That is what this thread is about. Everyone has something to deposit. I just wanted to start the ball rolling. It was inevitable this thread would be started.

Really it was needed

Here for the lessons J:bongrip:

lol come on guys, go back to the second post and quote it, fill out at least a partial bio. Everyone I tagged or sent an invite to should be filling one out. After all, you folks have all the contest wins, and titles! Make this a true group effort.

I invited folks with nice photos, folks who do great instructional photos, others who have fantastic journal pictures showing off the entire process, folks with old cameras, cell phones, fancy new dslr’s, folks that take macro shots, folks with different light conditions, and from different backgrounds. I did this because I believe each of you is expressing talent and art that should be shared with others. The sum of the parts will be greater than the individual.

Everyone has some tips or tricks. Things to make their photo pop. Backgrounds. Settings. Angles. Consider this a take a penny, leave a penny, for cannabis photography.

Ready...

Canon 20D that I have abused for years. Shot from this year...
IMG_89767.jpg
IMG_90203.jpg

Great stuff! Wow a 20D is old school but still a great camera. Welcome aboard! Feel free to share tips, tricks, or gear that you have that you would recommend to folks.

Great looking plant too! Love it

Username: Pennywise

Grow method and strains: Coco and RDWC, currently have Malawi, Stardawg and Purple Envy going in the big tent. Cheese #1 and Crown Royale in the small tent.

Camera, Lenses and Gear: IPad 4 and IPhone 7

Experience level and photography background: Minimal

What is your style? (portrait, journal, macro, outdoor, instructional, various) Mainly Grow Journals

Favourite lens or type of shot: N/A

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers: Don't take blurple photos

Please share 1 technique you use in a step by step how-to. Not sure

d241db09ec61e7f8a181369fa0cfacd6.jpg
ce9f6d890e816761d5af03714df56d25.jpg
b9201cd1455ed8c2f9e1dd256f5662e7.jpg
72189e427df0b70e030d42720855ac4b.jpg

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can't live without. Tripod

Username: Pennywise

Camera, Lenses and Gear: IPad 4 and IPhone 7

If you could give 1 tip for new photographers: Don’t take blurple photos

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can’t live without. Tripod.

Oh man, tripod is so important to me, I am old and shaky lol. For those of you with point and shoot you can get small tripods that screw into the bottom of your camera for $5 or $10. Game changer.

Thanks PW!

Username:

SweetSue

Grow method and strains:

I grow hempy with perlite and soil using Doc Bud's High Brix Blend kit. As to the chemovars I grow, you'll always find CBD Critical Cure from Barney's Farm, Carnival by Ministry of Carnival, Candy Cane from Crop King Seeds (mine may be another photo instead of the auto it was advertised to be), and the Jamaican bag seed I brought back from my visit last year.

You'll also see Dark Devil Auto, Blue Dream, and Thin Mint GSC in regular rotation, as well as the amazing Devil's Carnival. I have four flowering spaces and a closet for autos. It's an eclectic garden and I have more seeds than I'll ever be able to grow.

Camera, Lenses and Gear:

I'm a point-and-shoot wrangler of an iPhone 6. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm an artist my nature and training and a photographer by necessity. This is a visual neighborhood. I hope to show the garden and any process I'm demonstrating in interesting, visually appealing ways. You deserve my best. :battingeyelashes:

I'd say casual. I want you to feel like you were standing right there with me.

A crisp,unusual angle that catches the eye with a splash of color added somewhere for a little zip.

Take lots and lots of pictures and crop. Best advice my daughter ever gave me (she's a natural behind the camera) was that almost every picture can be improved with cropping.

I'm an artist drawn to the beauty of the line, which makes cannabis particularly delightful to photograph. I'm also fond of too many of my photos to pick a favorite, but this one does it for me on many levels.

* It's an odd angle, which is visually interesting enough to draw up you in.
* The photo illustrates both lighting sources used for this plant.
* The line is stunning.
* Color splash from the glass beads pulls the eye into the picture.
* I like the depth, from in your face to the sky beyond the window.
* The colors work for me. I think this is a visually stimulating photo, and that's my primary goal with every shot.

IMG_79547.JPG

The only technique I use is cropping.

A few picked up randomly skimming the gallery.

IMG_762910.JPG

IMG_70835.JPG

image4271.jpeg

IMG_55039.JPG

Talk about a piece of your equipment you can't live without.

My iphone. :laughtwo:

My Spot thread tends to be heavy in photography. The link is in my signature. :battingeyelashes:

Thank you for the welcome. :hug:

:ciao:

A quick hello.

Here is a couple of 420mag links with Foto Capture info that I could find in my subscriptions. I will look closer later.

Some marco info for those up-close trichs shots.........

>>>>>>Growers' Macro Photography - Tools & References<<<<<

Some white balance info for the blurple lights and general more natural light looking pictures. Kriaze started this one if I recall, he is a wonderful photographer.

>>>>>So you got your LED lights? Now time to show off those buds!<<<<<<<

I have to gather my thoughts before I fill in the info above
Great day all

Back
Top Bottom