New anti-pot organization, headed by a member of the Kennedy clan

SweetJane

I am so sick of these hypocrites with their lies and misinformation. >:(

(CNN) -- Last week, I joined the board of a new organization to oppose marijuana legalization: Smart Approaches to Marijuana. The group is headed by former U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy and includes Kevin Sabet, a veteran of the Office of National Drug Control Policy under President Obama.

The new group rejects the "war on drugs" model. It agrees that we don't want to lock people up for casual marijuana use -- or even stigmatize them with an arrest record. But what we do want to do is send a clear message: Marijuana use is a bad choice.

There are many excellent reasons to avoid marijuana. Marijuana use damages brain development in young people. Heavy users become socially isolated and perform worse in school and at work. Marijuana smoke harms the lungs. A growing body of evidence suggests that marijuana can trigger psychotic symptoms that otherwise would have remained latent.

It's possible to imagine a marijuana rule that tries to respond precisely to such risk factors as happen to be known by the current state of science. Such a rule might say: "You shouldn't use marijuana until you are over 25, or after your brain has ceased to develop, whichever comes first. You shouldn't use marijuana if you are predisposed to certain mental illnesses (most of which we can't yet diagnose in advance). Be aware that about one-sixth of users will become chronically dependent on marijuana, and as a result will suffer a serious degradation of life outcomes. As yet, we have no sure idea at what dosage marijuana will impair your ability to drive safely, or how long the impairment will last. Be as careful as you can, within the limits of our present knowledge!"

Yet as a parent of three, two exiting adolescence and one entering, I've found that the argument that makes the biggest impression is: "Marijuana is illegal. Stay away." I think many other parents have found the same thing.

When we write social rules, we always need to consider: Who are we writing rules for? Some people can cope with complexity. Others need clarity. Some people will snap back from an early mistake. Others will never recover.

"Just say no" is an easy rule to follow. "It depends on individual risk factors, many of them unknowable in advance" -- that rule is not so easy.

More drivel at

Marijuana use is too risky a choice - CNN.com

Hmm it seems like almost every instance of the word marijuana could be replaced with alcohol.

Yes of course it damages brain development in young people, that's why it needs to be regulated. Like alcohol. I don't think the GOP's recent foray into legalization was intended for 12 year olds' sake

SMH

The old boot legging Kennedy clan :laughtwo: Much like alcohol, if used moderately, it can be a safe and enjoyable experience. Unlike alcohol used without moderation, cannabis doesn't cause kidney disease, liver disease, hypoglycemia, nervous disorders,or gout arthritis. Lots of people in jail and prison can tell you they were drunk when fighting or committing a crime. Any police officer will tell you their domestic disturbances almost always involve alcohol, yet the cannabis plant's "dangers" are parroted time and time again by the media. Most of society is a product of watching CNN, MSNBC, Fox and a host of other mind control outlets. To me, that is unhealthy.

I wouldn't be so biased as to say cannabis can't be harmful. Anyone with a brain should know that inhaling smoke regularly isn't good for your lungs (not that everyone smokes it, but most do), and that a young developing mind may be affected by using cannabis habitually. Evidence suggests problem solving skills and emotional confusion can result from habitual use in adolescents. It is really quite simple to me. Many substances have their benefits and dangers depending on amounts ingested. The events of prohibition didn't reduce the collective desire to obtain alcohol, and it won't work with cannabis either. Governments either want complete control for what is called "legalization" only if they can profit, distribute cannabis, or have complete control by keeping it a Schedule 1 substance to fill the prisons with more of what they regard as livestock. I believe NORML has it all wrong. They think kissing the ass of elected officials with statistics will somehow benefit me. It won't. Decriminalizing the cultivation and use of cannabis with few sensible regulations to prevent DUI, and underage use would be acceptable.

SMH…….. why world, why must you been so dam corrupt and illogical!!?!?!?!?!?

Bad choice? well maybe in some eyes, but it is still a human right to make your own choices.

News flash: Politicians are only motivated by money and don't care about what's best for the country.

Normal people don't give a shit about who smokes pot. Anyone who thinks it's their duty to stop people from using cannabis.. they are just doing their jobs... which shouldn't even exist.

Back
Top Bottom