Do you find it shocking that clergy love cannabis?

cubnamy1995

I have gotten a lot of questions on this topic from friends lately. I am a Christian minster who blazes daily. I'd like to think I'm unique, because how many pastors do you know who listen to KMK? Anyway, when I tell people I enjoy cannabis, you would think I crapped in their Kool-Aid. Truth is, whether you realize it or not, lots, if not most pastor smoke the herb. I have a special study group at my church, and all of us burn, people in the congregation included. Bible study isn't so boring when your blazed. Keep in mind this is a main street denomination known nationwide as a pretty straight-laced group. Appearances can be deceiving.

Our job requires us to carry the burdens of others who are hurting, and it can get overwhelming at times. When you see so much pain and suffering daily, you need something to help you remove yourself from the responsibility, if only for a short time. You deal with the drama in the lives of a hundred people, and sometimes it is just too much to bear. Weed helps give us perspective, re-center, and be better able to love in the way people need. Let's face it, cannabis is a loving drug! I feel I do better work for my flock this way than if I was on prozac. Chances are, you know someone in the clergy who burns in secret. Most are concerned their reputation will be destroyed. I simply don't care. I'm proud to be a stoner, and will be until I die. Then I will be smoking the dankest stuff ever, provided by the man who could turn water to wine.

Cannabis was used extensively throughout biblical times and was a key component of anointing oil. Jesus was called the Christ (the anointed one). Listen to Jesus' sermon on the mouth, and it becomes clear only a stoner could proclaim such things.

Don't discount the church, even if you are a stoner. More of us would understand than you might know.

What i find shocking is how silent the clergy generally is , and always has been, as a group when it comes to fighting for legalization.

Any bible thumper that comes to my door is first asked what they think of jesus and moses being dark skinned pot heads with dreadlocks...Then I recite matthew 6:5-6, and ask them to quietly return to their closet, without any further spectacle.

Too bad you are in the south I'd like to go to your church. I wish I had someone to talk things out with here (I'm in Alaska). I recently had to start toking again when my pain got too bad for me to handle anymore. I had been clean for over 25 years and I was ok with it; my wife is conflicted some but since 1 oz. is legal in your home she isn't so worried. She has seen my writhing and screaming in sheer agony and suffering while I was taking the oxy that the docs keep trying push on me even though I tell them it doesn't work plus, the side effects are horrible!
__ __________________________________________ ____ :allgood:

Too bad you are in the south I'd like to go to your church. I wish I had someone to talk things out with here (I'm in Alaska). I recently had to start toking again when my pain got too bad for me to handle anymore. I had been clean for over 25 years and I was ok with it; my wife is conflicted some but since 1 oz. is legal in your home she isn't so worried. She has seen my writhing and screaming in sheer agony and suffering while I was taking the oxy that the docs keep trying push on me even though I tell them it doesn't work plus, the side effects are horrible!
__ __________________________________________ ____ :allgood:

My younger brother's life was destroyed by addiction to oxy's, so I can completely understand your fear. The only reason to fear is Caesar, not God. I have another discussion on here where I discuss some of the religious and political implications of historical MJ use. you can find it here:

Kaneh Bosm: Cannabis in the Old Testament

You can PM me any time, and I'll share what I know, limited as it may be. I just can no longer stand for the prejudices that drive prohibition when so many of my flock could benefit from its use. I love them so much that I want relief for them. I have one parishoner who has gone through several bouts of chemotherapy for breast cancer, and I feel like the most loving thing I did for her was to sneak her a few joints in the hospital. She was released to go home two days later. If I could, I would grow it just to give to those suffering from such debilitating pain. That would be a true healing ministry in my opinion.

What i find shocking is how silent the clergy generally is , and always has been, as a group when it comes to fighting for legalization.

Any bible thumper that comes to my door is first asked what they think of jesus and moses being dark skinned pot heads with dreadlocks...Then I recite matthew 6:5-6, and ask them to quietly return to their closet, without any further spectacle.

Haha. Well if I came to your door and you told me that, I'd say "sure! hey, you feel up to passing one around and talking religion?

For sure, there are many clergy who are simply closed-minded conservative bible thumpers who take the bible literally, oppress women and minorities, and are more interested in keeping the authority of white men inherent in our culture. But they will die soon, and those of us who are younger clergy look at the world much more differently. It is prevalent in the entire gamut of Christian faith, but the attitude you describes seems more common with the group that rhymes with "craptist." I don't mean to offend, but this is simply what I've observed as a pastor myself.

Raised Catholic .But never thought about church God and Bud in the same sense
before.mmmmmmmmmmmmm????

Maybe pray for weed ??? Have to wait until i get home :rollit: and think about
it.But i am down to smoking roaches.:peace:

I guess God put it here for all mankind to enjoy.:thanks:

I'm not ordained, but I am a certified Methodist Lay Speaker and a pot head too! Of course I keep it a secret.

From one Methodist to another, you just about have to smoke here. I know a LOT of pothead Methodists. Methodists generally don't want to hear about your personal business, which is why I love 'em. Makes church dinners better too!

What book, chapter, and verse do you claim says cannabis was used in anointment oil?
You calling Jesus a "stoner" is very offensive and such claims would be seen as blasphemy. Are you sure you are not taking the things God has told us way out of context?

I myself am a smoker/Marijuana advocate, but you referring to the person that my religion is almost solely based off of as a stoner, only ruffles my sheets.

His claims were certainly not of a stoner, and i am not saying He condemned marijuana which in fact He did not, but there is no evidence to say He ingested/smoked marijuana himself.

And I can almost say with confidence He never smoked it, becuase He himself told us that our body is a temple of the Lord's and we shall not defile it or cause it harm. It is not rightfully ours. (which is also leading to the thought of suicide as a sin)

However, like any man, I could be wrong on that, as there is no evidence saying he did or did not.

I am very weary of anyone preaching the gospel, as you cannot be sure these days with so many false teachers out there and people publicly sinning (not going to say the name but we all know what religion--and I do not believe of them as "in Christ" becuase a person who is leading a flock would not defile innocent, young men)

The New Testament declares these types of men as "unfit" to lead a congregation.

What book, chapter, and verse do you claim says cannabis was used in anointment oil?
You calling Jesus a "stoner" is very offensive and such claims would be seen as blasphemy. Are you sure you are not taking the things God has told us way out of context?

I myself am a smoker/Marijuana advocate, but you referring to the person that my religion is almost solely based off of as a stoner, only ruffles my sheets.

His claims were certainly not of a stoner, and i am not saying He condemned marijuana which in fact He did not, but there is no evidence to say He ingested/smoked marijuana himself.

And I can almost say with confidence He never smoked it, becuase He himself told us that our body is a temple of the Lord's and we shall not defile it or cause it harm. It is not rightfully ours. (which is also leading to the thought of suicide as a sin)

However, like any man, I could be wrong on that, as there is no evidence saying he did or did not.

I am very weary of anyone preaching the gospel, as you cannot be sure these days with so many false teachers out there and people publicly sinning (not going to say the name but we all know what religion--and I do not believe of them as "in Christ" becuase a person who is leading a flock would not defile innocent, young men)

The New Testament declares these types of men as "unfit" to lead a congregation.

I posted a link with all the information you requested above. BTW, nobody smoked it back then like we do. It was in the anointing oil. Enjoy your opinion.

Exodus 30:23 in many different versions...
New International Version (©1984)
"Take the following fine spices: 500 shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much (that is, 250 shekels) of fragrant cinnamon, 250 shekels of fragrant cane,New Living Translation (©2007)
"Collect choice spices--12-1/2 pounds of pure myrrh, 6-1/4 pounds of fragrant cinnamon, 6-1/4 pounds of fragrant calamus,
English Standard Version (©2001)
“Take the finest spices: of liquid myrrh 500 shekels, and of sweet-smelling cinnamon half as much, that is, 250, and 250 of aromatic cane,
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"Take also for yourself the finest of spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, two hundred and fifty, and of fragrant cane two hundred and fifty,
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
"Take the finest spices: 121/2 pounds of powdered myrrh; half as much, that is, 61/4 pounds of fragrant cinnamon; 61/4 pounds of fragrant cane;
King James Bible
Take thou also unto thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
American King James Version
Take you also to you principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
American Standard Version
Take thou also unto thee the chief spices: of flowing myrrh five hundred'shekels , and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty,
Bible in Basic English
Take the best spices, five hundred shekels' weight of liquid myrrh, and of sweet cinnamon half as much, that is, two hundred and fifty shekels, and two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet calamus,
Douay-Rheims Bible
Saying: Take spices, of principal and chosen myrrh five hundred sicles, and of cinnamon half so much, that is, two hundred and fifty sicles, of calamus in like manner two hundred and fifty.
Darby Bible Translation
And thou, take best spices of liquid myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon the half two hundred and fifty, and of sweet myrtle two hundred and fifty,
English Revised Version
Take thou also unto thee the chief spices, of flowing myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half so much, even two hundred and fifty, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty,
Webster's Bible Translation
Take thou also to thee principal spices, of pure myrrh five hundred shekels, and of sweet cinnamon half as much, even two hundred and fifty shekels, and of sweet calamus two hundred and fifty shekels,
World English Bible
"Also take fine spices: of liquid myrrh, five hundred shekels; and of fragrant cinnamon half as much, even two hundred and fifty; and of fragrant cane, two hundred and fifty;
Young's Literal Translation
And thou, take to thyself principal spices, wild honey five hundred shekels; and spice-cinnamon, the half of that, two hundred and fifty; and spice-cane two hundred and fifty;
Depending on what version you read, it is either cane (cane sugar) or calamus (a sweet plant linked below)
The ingredient cannabis (or in this case "[SIZE=-1] KANNABOSM" as conveniently placed in Chris Bennett's own version of the bible) [/SIZE]is not mentioned...yet again we find man altering God's Holy word and twisting it to try and meet whatever idea he has come up with next. We are warned of these kind of people in the New Testament, and they are referred to as false teachers. Your argument that cannabis was used in anointment oil seems to me to be VERY invalid.

This does not look like cannabis to me, maybe I have bad eyes? Acorus calamus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sugarcane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I cannot read Hebrew, so unless everyone who has translated the bible before me is wrong, (in which case I would give up on trying to follow the bible) I stand uncorrected.

People, do some research before you believe everything you read... do you really go around believing such moves like Paranormal Activity are true as well?

Lastly, I try to refrain from keeping an opinion towards religion, as there are only truths and things not true. I wish to know those truths!! (It is a human characteristic that gives us all opinions, correct or incorrect.)

like the bible?

Yes. Research it, and tell me that a man named Jesus did not exist and was not executed by the Jews. Also, if Jesus was a liar, then why would he and his followers be willing to die for a lie they had simply "imagined" up?

The Bible is actually one of the worlds oldest historically correct accounts of our ancient past.

The amount of non-religious historical evidence for the existence of jesus and his disciples is pitiful at best. There is far more historical evidence for the existence of cannabis than jesus!

No one is doubting that cannabis exists...

Lighter,
I do read Hebrew my friend. I don't draw my conclusion from modern translations, I went right to the source. How much study and education have you spent researching this subject? I ask because my exegetical expertise comes from years of study, etymology, post-graduate work in the field of Christian theology and consultation with ancient botanists, and some of the country's leading biblical experts and theologians under whom I've studied. But of course, you know better than I do.

I commend your dedication to your faith, but your observations take nothing into account for the various mistranslations between languages that has taken place throughout the history of hand-copying the bible by Benedictine monks in the middle ages. Having a deep and committed faith does not make one a biblical expert.

Now I'm sure you'll come up with some snappy comeback arguing your position, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, regardless of how misinformed it may be. I offer what I do as a message of liberation for those who have real concerns about how the use of the plant affects their spiritual lives. I make no judgments about you, your faith, or your beliefs, as I do not know you and I respect your opinion. But I share what I do with the weight of research and biblical scholarship on my side. You certainly are not required to believe me or my argument, because you don't know me. But go ask a Rabbi. You'll hear from them what I and others like me have said.

At the end of the day, we all believe what we believe. That's what makes the world go round. But while your are entitled to your own opinions, you are not entitled to your own facts.

Your own admission that the bible is an accurate historical record of ancient events reveals your bias. It is difficult talking sense to anyone who holds a view of biblical inerrancy. You speak with great passion, but to make such a statement admits your own lack of biblical knowledge. As for your claims that we are "false teachers", this is a typical defensive reaction to anyone who may disagree with you. Just because it feels right emotionally don't make it so.

Again, not trying to judge you or your position, but I will not stand for the accusation of being a false teacher when you know nothing of my life, faith, ministry, and understanding. If we cannot carry on a civil conversation without the name-calling, then I have no interest in discussing the issue further with you. Flame all you want. I'll simply ignore it.

ps. Sugar cane was not introduced to the middle east until the Arabs introduced it in the 8th century A.D. What you are reading is a mistranslation.

I am an active Christian. I'm not a vocal one though. I really do believe. I try to live as I should and let that be my witness. I have no problems reconciling cannabis use with my faith, even when using for recreational purposes.

When referring to alcohol, the exhortation seems to be against drunkenness, and not against imbibing altogether. That and Jesus' first miracle seem very telling to me. I only make a fair extrapolation from there. Intoxication is not inherently sinful. I'm not a theologian, but that's good enough for me.

Don't get me started on the medical perspective. I'm a med user who would otherwise be on daily oxys myself. It is such a wonderful medicine. I thank my Father in heaven for cannabis, just as I do everything else. It is a wonder that he loves us enough to give us this plant.

But I must admit I'm not one to talk too much about my religion unless asked to, and until now I had never heard anyone state such a similar perspective. Thanks.

:peace:

I will give you that I need to do more research on this, and so I shall. We must remember that, we worship the same Lord, and that we called to be united in Christ. These trivial "arguments" of such small things as compared to the BIG picture should be less significant than they are, and we should be brought together disregarding such.

I will try and find more info on this subject, I guess I could ask a Rabbi -- but I am not Jewish, so I will ask my Jewish friend to see what he knows on the topic.

I do not disagree that "false teachers" may be used as a "defensive shield", as you say, but we both know that they do exist, and being cautious about what you let enter your mind is not a new concept to Christianity...after all, we dont go around taking our kids to R rated movies so they can see sexual immorality, adultery etc...and still call ourselves Christians. (Yet some do, I am aware, and they must speak for themselves when the time comes.)

Like I stated before, I only wish to know the truth, not lies.

If one holds no view of biblical inerrancy, it would be very hard to do what must be done to enter the Kingdom of God. I would think any Christian must accept biblical inerrancy because it is one of the vital building blocks for a strong faith.

Now, biblical inerrancy, to me, refers to the bible being correct in all aspects of its original form (in this case language). Now, mistranslations do occur, as I have been exposed to them since my upbringing as a small child.

I will give you that it "could have been" marijuana, but like many, many things of the bible, we will not know 100% until we ask the author himself. This reason is one of many why I do not accept your claim as true...yet. But if my research tells me otherwise, which it may I do not know, I will gladly change my position on the subject and be an advocate for it...giving all resources that changed my stance so as to not lead my brother astray.

I understand we are butting heads becuase of, although united under Christ, very, very different views on how to go about doing so. If you argue that my bias prevents me from seeing with a clear head, then I could argue the same that you being Mormon, and using a supplement? to the bible (the Mormon Bible...which I used to have a copy of by the way) keeps you from seeing the bible as what its original intentions were to serve. This would, in turn, reveal your strong bias as well.

Back
Top Bottom