rasta-humanism?

GigaGrew

hi there, im stuggling to define my own spirituality and was hoping for some input from rastafari practicioners.

the problem i face is that im an agnostic humanist. yet i adore the principles of the religion.

i believe in the message even if i dont believe in the author.

i was just wondering if there already exsists this sort of sub culture and if it has a name?

to me its no different from believing in all the good works that the christian church is suppose to do, even tho i will never set foot in one of their churches.

i just think that man is the bringer of his own doom and through weed and education and a little more 'pay it forward' we are also its salvation.

greetings
I joined a Jamaican Rasta church when I was 20. I am now 58. Rastas believe marijuana is the biblical tree of life for the healing of the nations.

I can't speak from a truly informed position about Rasta, since I do not know a great deal about their church, its denominations, and / or any other associated cultural movements. Where do they hang out online? Are they on reddit? One wonders.

However, since I studied comparative religion in college, perhaps I can shed some light on the general idea.

There is a movement amongst agnostic (even atheist) people who are socially considered to be from Christian cultural groups who identify as Christian atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Historically speaking, the older a sect, the more diverse is denominations tend to be, which means the greater the potential for moderation and or variance.

I guess my point is: if there aren't Rasta-humanists yet, there almost certainly will be some day (provided the Rastafari movement evolves like other major world religions have, and there is no reason that I can think of that it would not), and you, perhaps, are the first. But I doubt it. One wonders if Snoop Lion would be considered a Rasta-humanist.

Of course, from what I have been taught by Rastas, even this labeling might be considered by them to be unhelpful. I do know that they eschew "isms" which they see to be a tenant of Babylonian culture. This is why, out of respect, we should never refer to their religion as "Rastafarianism," it's rude.

Also, if you have not seen it, check out the Strain Hunters Trinidad & St. Vincent Expedition, in which they visit Bobo Shanti Rastafari:

I strongly also recommend the recent documentary Marley (2012) - IMDb, in which Bob speaks of his relationship to his religion.

:Namaste: :peace:

thanks =)
haha unless snoop has changed his life as well as his name, I doubt he would qualify on the humanist aspect :rofl:

It can be quite difficult when specifically dealing with rasta when it comes to ism and ist e.t.c but generally for the rest of us that spend time soul searching, its precisely those 'labels' that we seek, to see if we can identify with existing groups. to myself, occasional ignorance aside, its purely about grammer and structure. its very hard to avoid terms that a lot of us rely on when we don't truly understand why its offensive. its a bit like going into a culture where a handshake is considered impolite, it can confuse a hand shaker =)

Back
Top Bottom