Hippie Trail and My Summer In Israel circa 1970's

keifman

Honestly don't remember much :) but it was 1972. I do remember flying into Amsterdam, hanging out for a month smoking endless hash and then buying a VW Beetle for $250 and heading out with some people driving to Spain and then a ferry to Morocco. More endless hash, memory sort of fogged and then back to Amsterdam and then taking the Magic Bus through Istanbul, Kabul .. oh man the hash was good in Afghanistan and ending up in Goa.

More fogged memories and then good times on the beach at Goa, lots of nice girls from all over the world :) and then after a few weeks I knew that if I didn't leave soon, I'd never leave.

We headed out, a bunch of Dutch and Germans and me to Israel. They said we could volunteer on these places called a kibbutz. A communal village, work the fields, free food and board and awesome Lebanese hash and lots of good people to hang out with and travel with.

Those were the best three months of my life. Days off and heading to the beach, oh man, the warm almost oily water of the Mediterranean ... no wars at that time and I'd buy a 'sole' of Red or Blond Lebanese, it was $40 USD for about 220 grams .It was shaped like the sole of a shoe, wrapped in white cotton cloth with different stamps on them. An eagle on a thunderbolt with Arabic letters, a tree - a cedar of Lebanon. Best medicine I ever had in my life. We'd light a bonfire on the beach and smoke until we drifted off to sleep with the sound of the waves. One can not buy hash like that today unless you go there .. and good luck coming back alive. You can get some Lebanese in Amsterdam but it's not the same quality they keep back in Lebanon.

After that a group of us headed to the Sinai desert, little villages on the beach in what is now Egypt on the Red Sea. A desert by the sea with palm trees and the bedouin would ride by on their camels and sell us hash and come at night and we'd sit by the beach, endless hash, a bunch of us from all over the world and the Bedouin .... and across the Red Sea we could see the mountains of Saudi Arabia.

We were all a little naive, it seemed like paradise and I felt like I was Ali Baba, a caliph with my harem of endless women and even more endless primo hashish. I actually remember all of this well.

I miss those times, young, carefree, we called each other 'freaks' and it was a compliment and the 'chicks' were amazing too .... best hash ever, relaxed, no paranoia, no hassles, everything at the pace of a camel walking slowly through the sands .... something from another place and another time. My friends, those days are gone never to return for any of us ... don't misunderstand me, I love my life, but there was no technology, smart phones, internet ... no one knew who you were or where you were. The hash was smooth and brought peace of mind, no jitters,no paranoia ... just perfectly balanced with the best ratios of THC and CBD.

I am happy that sanity is slowly taking over in this country and congratulations to Colorado and Washington and hopefully many more to come!

A salute to the seventies and those days of awe! I still have friends from then I visit in Holland.

A fascinating journey that has remained with you forever...I too was a 'hippie' back in the 70's. Great story that I enjoyed reading that also took me back to those days you explained so well Brother ! What a FIELD trip :high-five:

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the story, it was such an amazing time and we were privileged to live through it.

I wonder how many of my kids generation :peace: realize that a lot of people from Ben and Jerry to Steve Jobs were hippies.

"I lived with them on Montague street
In a basement down the stairs
There was music in the cafes at night
And revolution in the air"
Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue

Privileged is 'spot on'...I don't think our kids generation realized those things, they be trip'n on their own :idea:

Some GREAT minds ... just out of curiosity you ever trip on L ? :wood:

Back
Top Bottom