Sublime in the Hood

TheOldGuy

First of all, as many of you know, I am a big Sublime fan. I love almost all of their music, and have almost all their CDs. unfortunately, the radio only plays 3 of their songs. They play What I Got, Santeria, and Wrong Way.

Second, as some of you know, I grew up in a shitty-ass ghetto gang-infested neighborhood in deep east San Antonio. My family moved away from their when I was 12 and I haven't been back since.

Well, that is I hadn't been back until last night. Last night, I took a drive. I took the highway towards downtown, and swapped onto another highway (I-35) heading north towards austin/dallas. Along the way, I came across my old side of town. Stoned as hell, I decided to take a trip to my old house. Everything was exactly how I remembered it from over 7 years ago. I made my way past the mall, past my sisters' high school, past my old supermarket, and then into the real deal: My old neighborhood. If any of you ever want to see this place, come on down to San Antonio. I'll take you there. You'll gain appreciation for just how scary it is. The houses are densely packed. The streets are dark and narrow. Stray dogs wander the streets all night. Many of the houses have fences for protection. Anyway, trust me: It's scary as shit. So i made my way into my old neighborhood called The Glen. I still know the place like the back of my hand, so I went towards my street.

Just a few minutes past midnight, as I turned the steering wheel o my truck to turn onto the street, a song came on the radio...

"Early in the morning....
... Rise up to the street..."

You know the rest.

The weirdest part to me is the fact that it was "early in the morning", and i was turning "to the street". Man I love Sublime. I was soooo high last night.

The whole point of the trip was to prep myself psychologically for college. Let me tell you guys something: It worked.

moments like that are strange in their own way.

i remember sitting by this enormous lake, which reminded me of miss. state last year where my buddies and i would go to smoke. i was sitting there, smoking a j, with my car radio playing 105.9 classic rock.

for the first time in ages, the pink floyd's "wish you were here" came on the radio... and i could not help but lay back in the grass, look at the sky, and think about my friends...

There is this one song of their's that is fuckin awsome and I just can't remember the name of it. If I could, I'd download it and load a bowl. I think it is one of their hits or something, it is definately popular. Sublime is way chill, but you have to be in the right mood. At least I do. I'm a moody bastard.

what are some lyrics? I know just about all of them :) lol

the girl i've loved since 3rd grade attempted suicide last december, and went into a coma, and eventually died from it... and when i found out, i was at my friend that i hadn't seen in 9 years' house... and he was in my class then too... but anyways... he tells me... and i forgot which song came on, cuz frankly, pretty much every song will remind you of someone if you think about them enough... but it fit perfectly... perfect timing and everything... i broke down for about a half hour after that... but then i hit the bong... and that's the end of my stupid, but true story... and i hope it never happens to anyone else...

Sublime is my favorite band to. The best cd i feel is a tie between bradley nowell and friends and 40 oz to freedom. although i love them all the same

Back
Top Bottom