Another Essay

Yokogake

You guys seemed to like my last one, so here is another
got me an A- btw

Is the government allowed to lie? According to the General Accounting Office (the investigative branch of Congress) the White House is allowed to lie to the public about drugs. "Marijuana is linked to violence" and "no credible research suggests" ("White House") that marijuana has medical uses are two examples of misleading phrases that will be used. These statements are not backed by facts, but only by those who believe that the "end justifies the means." What kind of logic goes into a decision like this? If drugs were truly dangerous then why would the government need to lie about them in order to make a point?
The United States' war on drugs is a systematic campaign to eradicate the use and sale of certain drugs that the government has designated as illegal. The major types of drugs that the war on drugs tries to eliminate are Schedule I drugs. A Schedule I drug has a high potential for abuse, lacks accepted medical application, and is unsafe for use under medical supervision.
Approximately 39.2 percent of Americans 12 and over admit to trying marijuana. Of this, nine percent admit to have used in the past year and five percent admit use in the past month. A significant minority of this country has used marijuana at some time. If all 39.2 percent of these people who committed this crime were prosecuted that would mean over 113 million people would have to go through the court system (also have up to one year in jail and/or $1000 fine). Most people know someone who has been affected by the war on drugs due to the fact that over 14.5 million (5%) of Americans have used marijuana in the past month. The war on drugs is a larger problem than people typically realize.
Comparative studies have been done in the Netherlands and found interesting results. The percentage of the population that has tried marijuana was only 15.6 percent. Of this, only 4.5 percent used marijuana in the last year and only 2.5 percent used marijuana in the last month. The American results were over twice the percentage of the Netherlands, so why the difference? Both the United States and the Netherlands have modern western societies, similar governments and prosperous economic growth. The only major difference between the two societies is that marijuana is legal for use in certain areas in the Netherlands. The major legal consequences in the United States have a negative bearing on actual use of marijuana.
Marijuana is not a dangerous drug. The lethal overdose for THC, the active drug in marijuana, is the blood ratio of 40,000 parts of THC to one part blood. Alcohol, as a comparison, has a ratio of 4 to 10 parts to one part blood. In addition, no known overdose of THC in a person who has smoked or ingested marijuana has ever been reported. The DEA funded an experiment involving so-called lethal doses of THC and found higher rates of rat death then other experiments. However, this commonly referred to experiment had a fatal flaw; the rats were not dying from the THC poisoning, but from their stomachs bursting from being fed too much THC laced corn syrup.
In a 1990 survey, 44% of oncologists (doctors who treat people with cancer) suggested that patients smoke marijuana for relief from symptoms associated
with chemotherapy. Would doctors suggest use of a dangerous drug? In 1988 the Drug Enforcement Agency's own administrative law judge (Francis L. Young) declared after public hearings that marijuana in its natural form met the legal requirement for accepted medical use (Schedule II drug). However, in 1992 the DEA overruled the judge and stopped the public hearings.
The hypocrisy of the current war on drugs and drug laws is very apparent. Marijuana can be used to treat illnesses in which other medications have failed. The DEA wishes to cover up this evidence with blatant deceptions and smear campaigns. This "reefer madness" type thinking is based on false scientific evidence and preconceived notions with no regard for the actual evidence. As the government works feverishly making laws preventing marijuana research, the DEA states that marijuana evidence is not sufficient to make significant conclusions. This deliberate act can only hold back the truth for so long, eventually the truth will be known.

Its got a few mistakes but this is how i turned it in.... enjoy

I would have added something about the absolutly REDICULUS statement that marijuana causes violence...

But very nice...

Your Professor knows by now that you are a major pothead lol

That's a short essay man. Damn I'm working on an 8 page research paper right now. Easy shit though.

Dank420 said:
That's a short essay man. Damn I'm working on an 8 page research paper right now. Easy shit though.
yeah, we are suposed to keep it short, get to the point type thing....

Yokogake said:
yeah, we are suposed to keep it short, get to the point type thing....
Coo, I just put it in a word processor and realized it was like 2.5 pages double spaced. From the way it looked on these forums, I thought it would be like one page. Good essay though.

Back
Top Bottom