Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Runderalis
How Many Plants? 2
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? 4 Weeks and 1 sprout
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Black Gold Natural Organic 0.05, 0.0, 0.0
If Soil... What Size Pot? 2.5 qt
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? (2) 40w 2650 lumen cfls .
Is it Air Cooled? Yes
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 70-75
PH of Medium or Reservoir? NA
Any Pests? None
How Often are you Watering? Watering when pot gets light.
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? 1/4 strength FFBB so far

Current setup is a converted B&D cabinet. I didn't want to throw up the full sized tent to run a round of Auto Lowryders, so I did some shopping and came up with this. Dimensions are 14x25x31 internal space and walls covered in 2mil mylar. Using my original 4" venting being drawn by a small floor fan. Being my 2nd grow, after losing a few too many beans due to not being prepared. This is my first go round with an Auto so it's trial and error for me.

Plant 1 Veg 4wks

2853.jpg

New Sprout

11250.jpg

Just wondering what might be the best method to collect pollen and is there a way to tell when the pollen sack is about to pop? First plant is a male and is putting on several sacks, but that's a good thing. I wish I would have collected from my previous grow but I definitely wanted some from this auto strain.

Time for a quick update. Lights are running 18/6 at this point and I'm not dosing the male with anything other than FFBB at minor levels. Don't plan on doing anything else except getting pollen from him so I can keep this strain going and not have to worry about buying any more beans. Also am thinking about using the pollen from this strain to cross with another strain or two. I don't have any experience breeding so I'm not sure if crossing a male auto with a female regular will generate another auto cross or not. Any insight there would be helpful.

Here is the male at 36 days:

11253.jpg

13152.jpg

And the seedling at 5 days:

14135.jpg

Planning on potting the seeding in the next couple of days.

Next quick update:

The male is starting to drop pollen now. I cut off a couple of stems with pollen sacks that looked like they are ready to pop and have them in a ziplock for now. Now that I have a little pollen I am chopping him in the next day or two to devote all of the light space to the seedling. Currently:

Day 50:

19103.jpg

22127.jpg

Seedling Day 9:

21137.jpg

Welcome aboard j4s2u0 and thanks for the compliments. Yeah, that's my intention. Try and not spend $ if I don't have to. These looked sweet from the time I saw them so I jumped on the autoflower train. I know the yield and potency is not as good as regs, but this will make for some quick subs. You'll have to let me know how those green-o-atics are. Have them 18/6. Seems ok so far. Good luck on your up and coming ladies :rollit:

Another quick update. Due to some browser issues, some of the posts in journals have disappeared, including this one, so I look like I'm talking to myself or imaginary friends lol.

So here's where we are so far. I have collected some pollen from the male and have it stored in a freezer bag as air tight as I can get it. The plan was to chop the male but he's still lingering while I take care of a few more things. While contemplating the possibility of the seedling being a male, I decided to germ a Dinafem Powerkush freebie. This will guarantee some meds in a short period of time, due to the fast flowering period.
Details:

Sex : Feminized
Type :
Flowering : Photoperiod
Genetics : Afghani x Skunk #1
Flowering Time : Medium
Outdoor Harvest : 45-55 Days
Height : Medium
THC Level : 12% - 16%
Characteristics : sweet, orange tinted colas with high resin content

Dinafem Seeds Power Kush is a powerful blend of Afghani x Skunk #1. It is a fast bloomer that produces a harvest of sweet, orange tinted colas with high resin content. Mental and physical effects are quite notable and the taste divine. They grow well, the leaves are big, wide and long, so the plant can make the most of the light. The Dinafem Seeds Power Kush flowers quickly, producing a harvest of buds covered in white and orange hairs. The power is surprising until one considers the genetics, then you realize it is not by chance but design. Power Kush is the variety that Dinafem Seeds have developed through more inbreeding. A single original plant cultivated over many years, the Power Kush has given life to an offspring that is in all cases the granddaughter of that.
Power Kush grows well, the leaves are large, peciolos very long, with the advantage that the light at the maximum. The leaves of Power Kush are quick to bloom, and her cannabis seeds produce a crop of buds full of white hair and much like oranges in Amsterdam and, of course, plenty of resin and a skunk smell sweet with a gentle touch of orange and strawberry. The effect is mixed physical and mental.

Germinated seed with taproot:

P1000024.JPG

I have dropped the seed in soil and watered it in. Should sprout in the next day or so.

The seedling at day 11:

P1000026.JPG

The seedling is still only getting 1/4 strength FFBB and is doing well. She's a little droopy because she needed some water and I fed her just before the picture. More to come soon.

You could have moved your male over to a room with a little bit of light. They don't need much attention. Window sill would have done the trick too. I have 2 males right now that I'm collecting pollen from and they are just getting a few hours of light a day and doing fine. I only water them with straight water (not pH'd and no nutes).

From what I understand male pollen and male pollen sacks can be harvested but the pollen does not stay "active" for very long. Usually only 4 to 5 months before the pollen becomes sterile. What you can do is invest in a one of those vacume sealers and suck the oxygen out of the bag with your male pollen in it. This is what most breeders who try to save good male pollen do to preserve it but still it doesn't last forever. I have begun rasing males in a spare greenhouse and harvesting the pollen because I do not use that area to grow females and their is no chance of the pollen reaching my indoor females so a small breeding hobby was almost meant to be I suppose. Also, with the price of bud dropping you would be surprised the prices people will pay for male OG X Chem 4 male pollen ;-). The pollen you harvest can be painted onto individual buds with a small paint or cosmetics brush. You could even paint different buds on one plant and get seeds from 2 or more males on 1 female plant. This is handy if you are limited to plant numbers like here in Oregon.

Welcome and thanks for the info HempRocket and Growing247.

I don't really have a space for the male right now. Trying to keep my space to a minimum for right now until I can get the room set back up. I just wanted to get enough pollen to pollinate a bud or two for now, basically to get my feet wet with breeding. I am getting ambitious with cross breeding in the future. Also wanted to test my DIY veg room. I like it so far.

That's good info on the pollen. It answers some of my questions. I was concerned about losing it and not being able to experiment. It's just good to know it will last a little bit for me. I want to keep this strain and experiment with it. I put the pollen in a freezer bag with as much air expelled as possible in the freezer for now. Will that be ok or should I store it another way?

I think a plastic bag should be just fine or a glass jar or a medicine bottle. Probably not a good idea to expose it to a lot of heat and light either.

Hey KK,

Lost your post to my grow journal. But I think you suggested to LST the new cola's. I did it yesterday and am glad I did! When you get a chance check it out. Anyway, was it you that asked about molasses? If so I use 5 ml per gl in my foilar spray and tea. Hope this helps and will keep watching your grow 4 sure.

:goodjob:

Hey KK,

Lost your post to my grow journal. But I think you suggested to LST the new cola's. I did it yesterday and am glad I did! When you get a chance check it out. Anyway, was it you that asked about molasses? If so I use 5 ml per gl in my foilar spray and tea. Hope this helps and will keep watching your grow 4 sure.

:goodjob:

Glad you dropped by. I lost some posts here as well. Glad I could offer you the info. I'll have to drop by and check it out. As for molasses, that wasn't me, but no worries bro.

Thanks MadMardo.

Here is the current status. We just got back from vacation and I was wondering how they were going to look, but I was fairly surprised being the lack of attention.

Here is the Purple Jems at Day 22. Seems to be doing ok, but a little leaf curl I noticed. Not too concerned about it right now, now that I'm back I can care for them regularly again.

6591.jpg

6601.jpg

6618.jpg

Ok. So now we have the problem child. The PK. She is at Day 10 I believe. I noticed this spot on her leaf and was inspecting the damage. It looks to me like pest damage, but I see only a single gnat flying around. I was thinking of dousing with a natural pesticide but I would like any other input before I take that route. Well here she is:

6621.jpg

6641.jpg

The bigger plant looks pretty healthy,and still looks short and squat:)
Iv been waiting on my purple jems for 2 weeks and just found out that the reason the tracking hasent been working is because the package is lost or customs got it...
Either way sucks,I just hope there is somthing they can do about it...
Dont need to give away 75 bucks!

The bigger plant looks pretty healthy,and still looks short and squat:)
Iv been waiting on my purple jems for 2 weeks and just found out that the reason the tracking hasent been working is because the package is lost or customs got it...
Either way sucks,I just hope there is somthing they can do about it...
Dont need to give away 75 bucks!

Thanks bro. Hopefully it's a girl.
I know the feeling on the waiting. My order is in limbo as well. The last time I had a hold up, it went through customs and told me that's where it was. This time, there is no info and the beans I ordered were limited edition, so I hope I get them because they have no more.

so you started with 2 lowryders? one was a male, I dont see anything about the second lowryder... was it a girl? or did I miss a post about it? Anyways sounds interesting this project, have fun and good luck

Welcome Chronic Don and thanks. Yes I started with 2 Lowryder Purple Jems. The 1st was a male and the 2nd is the larger plant currently. I will have the Purple jems going until I can successfully get a female, pollinate and harvest her. At that point I will assess the quality of the smoke and go from there to see if I want to keep the strain going long term or stop and work with something else.

Back
Top Bottom