High Brix Method: Organic Super Soil

onegramperwat

First and foremost this is in no way my idea. I wouldn't even know what High Brix was if not for our own Doc Bud. His willingness to teach is why im going this direction. This method isnt well known but the rewards could be off the charts. Imagine increasing the nutrition density in an already organic tomato by two. That is one healthy tomato. Now increase the nutrition density of our medicine by two. That's a good time.

Ill get more into the specifics of the method in future posts. Right after Doc teaches me!! :)

Heres the list of stuff!
Medium:
Vermicrop soil first time user
Worm Castings
Humisoil
Alfalfa Meal
Azomoite
Perlite

Calcium mix:
Rock Phosphate
Gypsuim
Lime

Compost tea:
humisoil
EWC
molasiss
Azomite

Bio Bud by General Organics (maybe)

Containers:
5 gallon Smart Pots
8 in total

Water is from tap. Let sit in an aeriated bucket for 24 hours. Chlorine is gone

Strain is called IDK12(I Dont Know 12) The guy who gave it to me gave me 3 different names. All I know is its a really sticky hybrid leaning toward a sativa.
The mother was taken from the flowering room and revegged. The strain was that good.

Set up:

5x5 tent with 1200 watts. Im only gonig to use 3x5 of the space. So thats 80W/sq/ft.

I have a 454 cfm fan that cools the lights.

I run a microbe tea with molasiss. Brewing microbes for 36 hours creates massive reproduction.This the basics for organic growing. AKA natures method.

Let me tell you folks about my experience with the ganja growing. I been doing it for over 2 years now. Both my wife and myself are patients. I only grow for us. Ive done many methods. Mostly with synthetic nutes. My last grow was an organic grow that just taste better. Organics are more healthy, I just dont want to skimp on my heath. The words nutrient density led me to High Brix.

Right on bro!

Please let me also add that really high brix plants are also pest, mold, fungus and frost resistant and that produce from such plants never rots.....it slowly dehydrates and can keep for months.

Will this double potency? Probably not. But the taste will be incredible and the medicinal value will absolutely be improved. High Brix plants have reached their genetic potential.

Right on bro!

Please let me also add that really high brix plants are also pest, mold, fungus and frost resistant and that produce from such plants never rots.....it slowly dehydrates and can keep for months.

Will this double potency? Probably not. But the taste will be incredible and the medicinal value will absolutely be improved. High Brix plants have reached their genetic potential.

Thanks for stopping by Doc!

Reaching their genetic potential is goal. A plant that isnt genetically modified but acts like it. As Doc said a plant that bugs and mold hate.

Its not about NPK, Its about the Ca and P atoms coming together to form a molecule that microbes love to eat. This is High Brix, in a nut shell. The plant creates carbs which it exudes out of the roots feeding micro as well.

The soil has been mixed and will sit 30 days to cook. Also added about 5 gallons of compost tea teeming with microbes. The tea is made with humisoil and EWC. I let sit for about 36 hours in a sock. The sock is suspended above an air stone in a 5 gallon bucket filled with water.

recipe:
3 cuft of vermicrop soil. first time user. Appears to be top notch.
5 pounds of EWC (earth worm castings)
5 pouns of Humisoil. Adds humic acids and microbes.
4 cups of alfalfa meal
2 cups of lime
1.5 cups of rock phosphate
1 cup of gypsum
4 cups of azomite
perlite

For now im going to study up on the High Brix Method. Maybe start cloning the IDK12 mom.

Took cuts today! 8 IDK were taken. Im trying the heat mat in rockwool method. I didnt get the thermostat (34.95 ooch) but have the dome. I cut at angle, shaved, split bottom in two and dipped in clonex. The solution is water and rapid start from GH. First time doing it this way, hopefully i get 8 out of 8. Going to get some pics in here soon.

Im in bro! Im very interested in organics and now brix! :peace:

Im in bro! Im very interested in organics and now brix! :peace:

Let's just get a few terms squared away:

1.)organics means using organic matter, animal and plant to feed microbes in the soil, which in turn feed the plant

2.)Brix is a measure of sugar and mineral content in plant tissue fluid. (like grape juice, carrot juice, or leaf juice.) Brix is measured using a refractometer.

3.)The higher the brix the more taste and flavor, the greater the nutrient density, longer shelf life, resistance to pests and disease, etc. In short, the higher the brix, the closer the plant comes to its genetic potential.

So "brix" isn't a type of growing, like hydro, or "organic." You can try to achieve high brix in a variety of ways.

However, the highest brix is to be found with mineralized soil, teeming with microbes and the right balance of organic matter, minerals, air, and water.

We cannabis growers are late to the party. Grape growers have been testing brix for a long, long time. It's time we started taking quality as seriously as wine makers.

Thanks for making it clear Doc.

thanks for stoppin by gittergreen!

Yes the goal is obtain plants with a high level of brix in the flowers. Getting the right ratios of minerals and active microbes will get the highest level of brix in flowers. The plant will feed the micros via exuded carbs through the roots. These carbs will help balance the soil by telling the micro what is needed to make it function at highest levels. Goal of all plants is to reproduce, the further the plant can stick out those white hairs the better chance it will be pollinated. Nice big fat juicy tastin buds.

hope ya don't mind that i jump in. i've been doing some research on brix levels. wish i could afford the brix meter. looks like a nice toy. here's an interesting article:Impact on agriculture.

The great thing that Brix measuring is doing is changing the way producers grow their plants. Previously there has been no quick and simple way to instantly measure a plants quality, so there was no way to monitor how soil and fertilizer amendments were affecting the quality and taste of the foods. Through experimentation, growers have found that increased phosphate and calcium levels are of the upmost importance for increasing Brix levels. So too is changing the types of fertilizers being applied throughout the growing season.

Also, because sugars and other nutrients are converted in the “photosynthesis factory”, or the leaf, it is no surprise that growers have found that the practice of foliar feeding to dramatically increase the Brix levels in plants that follow a regular foliar fertilizer regiment. This is why I started my own liquid fertilizer company, because of the Brix increases found using quality foliar sprays.

Foliar fertilizing is the art of spraying the leaves of plants so that the plant nutrients are absorbed directly into the leaves of the plant. The mineral ions from the foliar fertilizer penetrate the leaves through the stomata and cuticles to reach the interior of the leaves. The nutrients then become available for absorption by the Mesophyll cells and utilized by the plant as food.

The Refractometer also is a great way of telling if a foliar fertilizer has been affective. Simply squeeze the juice from the leaf of a crop before spraying and then test the Brix level. Then after spraying the leaves, wait a 2-3 hours and then do another Brix test. A change indicates the foliar application has been successful. If the Brix does not change then you know that adjustments need to be made. Maybe spray a finer mist, spray later in the day when it is cooler and the stomata is open or use an adjuvant to help the mixture stick to and absorb into the leaves. There are quite a few changes that can be made.

Another impact it is having is by changing the Organics movement which shares the same beliefs in agricultures sustainability and foods quality as a Brix grower. Of course Organics has been a tremendous movement because it has a guaranteed a premium paid to growers who have avoided cheap and detrimental agriculture practices. However, just because something is organic, does not guarantee a high Brix quality product. In fact dumping huge amounts of organic materials can be detrimental to crops Brix levels as it can destroy the ratios of crop nutrients needed to make high Brix. There has to be proper nutrient management to obtain high Brix and it is organic growers that are embracing the Brix movement

Another impact it is having is by changing the Organics movement which shares the same beliefs in agricultures sustainability and foods quality as a Brix grower. Of course Organics has been a tremendous movement because it has a guaranteed a premium paid to growers who have avoided cheap and detrimental agriculture practices. However, just because something is organic, does not guarantee a high Brix quality product. In fact dumping huge amounts of organic materials can be detrimental to crops Brix levels as it can destroy the ratios of crop nutrients needed to make high Brix. There has to be proper nutrient management to obtain high Brix and it is organic growers that are embracing the Brix movement

Yep. I've been organic for a while now. But I wasn't aware of the Ca/phos ratio among other things. I'm really looking forward to the results!

I'm in for this one also

hope ya don't mind that i jump in. i've been doing some research on brix levels. wish i could afford the brix meter. looks like a nice toy. here's an interesting article:Impact on agriculture.

The great thing that Brix measuring is doing is changing the way producers grow their plants. Previously there has been no quick and simple way to instantly measure a plants quality, so there was no way to monitor how soil and fertilizer amendments were affecting the quality and taste of the foods. Through experimentation, growers have found that increased phosphate and calcium levels are of the upmost importance for increasing Brix levels. So too is changing the types of fertilizers being applied throughout the growing season.

Also, because sugars and other nutrients are converted in the "photosynthesis factory", or the leaf, it is no surprise that growers have found that the practice of foliar feeding to dramatically increase the Brix levels in plants that follow a regular foliar fertilizer regiment. This is why I started my own liquid fertilizer company, because of the Brix increases found using quality foliar sprays.

Foliar fertilizing is the art of spraying the leaves of plants so that the plant nutrients are absorbed directly into the leaves of the plant. The mineral ions from the foliar fertilizer penetrate the leaves through the stomata and cuticles to reach the interior of the leaves. The nutrients then become available for absorption by the Mesophyll cells and utilized by the plant as food.

The Refractometer also is a great way of telling if a foliar fertilizer has been affective. Simply squeeze the juice from the leaf of a crop before spraying and then test the Brix level. Then after spraying the leaves, wait a 2-3 hours and then do another Brix test. A change indicates the foliar application has been successful. If the Brix does not change then you know that adjustments need to be made. Maybe spray a finer mist, spray later in the day when it is cooler and the stomata is open or use an adjuvant to help the mixture stick to and absorb into the leaves. There are quite a few changes that can be made.

Wow thanks for the great information.

Im still looking for the best foliar. Non of the shops in town carry the recommedations by Doc. May be forced to order online.

High Brix Student

Let's just get a few terms squared away:

1.)organics means using organic matter, animal and plant to feed microbes in the soil, which in turn feed the plant

2.)Brix is a measure of sugar and mineral content in plant tissue fluid. (like grape juice, carrot juice, or leaf juice.) Brix is measured using a refractometer.

3.)The higher the brix the more taste and flavor, the greater the nutrient density, longer shelf life, resistance to pests and disease, etc. In short, the higher the brix, the closer the plant comes to its genetic potential.

So "brix" isn't a type of growing, like hydro, or "organic." You can try to achieve high brix in a variety of
However, the highest brix is to be found with mineralized soil, teeming with microbes and the right balance of organic matter, minerals, air, and water.

We cannabis growers are late to the party. Grape growers have been testing brix for a long, long time. It's time we started taking quality as seriously as wine makers.

yep, I love reading your journal Doc more than I like looking at your awsome photos and I do understand its not a method of growing and just a measurement of sugars and minerals. I was just going along with the title here in this journal. (high brix method: organic super soil) I guess in simple stoner growers terms like myself it can be a method of creating an environment for your microbes to thrive in. Anyways I think it sounds like a great way to grow some bad@$$ cannabis!:thanks:

I do have a question, you're growing in 5 gal pots, and it seems like the majority of your feed will come from the EWC as most of the other ingredients are minerals. Do you think this soil mix will get them through to the end? I know you plan on using teas but I'm just curious if you think it will be enough to get them through to the end.

Also curious about the humisoil, I can't seem to find it at my usual places, what all does it contain?

Question? Ive never foliar sprayed before. Should it be done at night?

i like to do it when the lights are out, less chance of burning them with the light magnification. I'm not sure of the science behind it, but I find the best results spraying a few hours before the lights come on

I'm a big fan of organics, so this naturally intrigues me. I'm strapped in for this one. It's time for me to research this "High Brix" some more.

Back
Top Bottom