First Closet Grow With CFLs - Many Pictures

BuzzIightyear

Hello 420Magazine !

I started a new thread because the old one wasn't following the guidelines.

This is my first time growing, i'm glad i can finally start growing and I'm trying to do things right !
I've decided to start a grow journal to get some tips and to keep track of the progress.
I've read a lot before starting, but it's still very new to me.
My goal isn't to grow the best weed ever, but to have some fun and enjoy the process !

I wanted to go with a CFL grow first my first time. Here is my setup :

b0e10cbe_l1.jpeg

I have a grow tent with about 3' x 1.5' of space.

I get about 20 000 lumens from 12 23w 6000k CFLS, so about 4450 lumens per sq/ft.

I am growing (all bag seeds)

6 Acapulco Gold
6 Ice Cream
3 AKA47

I wanted to try growing it organic only.
I started with peat pellets to germinate them.
I left only 3 bulbs on 12 turned on during this period, and left the dome cover on to keep humidity.
They germinated in about 3 days ! Then it gets exciting !

Day 1- 3 = Full time light
Day 4,5,6 = 20/4
Day 7 = 18/6

WEEK 1

Some were actually growing upside down, but I've successfully managed to flip them over. Maybe next time i'll try to germinate them in water first.

All the pictures show the progress of the first 7 days.

5f2aef24_l1.jpeg

6ca900a8_l1.jpeg

e6c8d839_l1.jpeg

6e92a712_l1.jpeg

eae2eea1_l1.jpeg

f9ac264d_l1.jpeg

2ca00f64_l1.jpeg

Honestly, Acapulco seeds made some way healthier plants, not sure why.
I had 3 peat pellets that didn't grew anything, so I went ahead, removed
the three seeds and planted 3 AKA47 seeds i had !

To me, about 4 of the plants look very healthy !
Though, what do you guys think about the other ones ?
One even seemed to grow 3 leafs on it's first set.

fa95e599_l1.jpeg

This one also has some weird colors. White and dark green. Do you have any ideas of what this is supposed to mean? I've just watered the plants, I'll see what it does. Still no nutes to this point, only organic.

4cf5da5c_l1.jpeg

I'll get a fan this week, it's probably gonna help them a bit with the heat ! Then turn on the 6 other lights. Then plants slowed down a bit towards the end of the week, hope this helps !

WEEK 2

These pictures were taken at the end of the second week

IMG_93002.JPG

IMG_92721.JPG

IMG_92352.JPG

My plants are burning ! What's the problem ?
Seems like they got too hot, but i had another problem.
I used clear plastic cups and it seems that it can cause problems when light hits the roots.
I simply covered the cups with duct tape for now, but I will be transplanting soon.
I haven't started to give them nutes yet, but maybe the soil i used was too rich too.

The temperatures are now between 75-80F with the fan and AC.

Here are the pictures of the burns and curled down leafs

IMG_92973.JPG

IMG_92993.JPG

Any opinions/help is welcomed ;)

:Namaste:

Hey ;)
I like a bit of CFL :thumb:
What soil did u use? Is it heavy pre fertilized?
They look healthy,apart that little burn,but wouldn't bother about it too much...
Are you gonna use CFL for flowering them?

Have a good one:thumb:

I bought an organic mix from a local seller :/ it was mixed by them and i beleive it contains worm cast, dead leafs and branches..

Though, today i'll translant them in 50% soil and 50% perlite, give them a good water and let them without any sort of nutes for a few days so they stop burning ;)

It stresses me out a bit but i'll see how it turns out!

I will use CFL for flowering too, but more in the 2300k spectrum :) It is very hot here and even with a proper ventilation / AC system, it's hard to keep the temps low. Growing with a hps in a closey woulf probably not be so good for them temperatures :/

Just remember More Light = Bigger Buds/Yields good looking set-up - you will find yourself adding to it after each grow. To figure lumens needws is L xW= ? then ?x2,00 (example : 4 by 4=16 then 16 x2,000 =32,000 lumens needed for that space) oor you could figure 40 watts per square ft Example 4by4 = 16 then 16 x 40 = 620 watts needed) Happy cultivation !! Good looking project. Look into black/white poly - can be used like you are using other material' any way - it's all good - PeaCE ( THE POLY WILL REALLY HELP IN YOUR LIGHT CONTROL, ECT BETTER REFLECTION AND LIGHT BLACK-OUT - the stuff's about $12.00

Just remember More Light = Bigger Buds/Yields good looking set-up - you will find yourself adding to it after each grow. To figure lumens needws is L xW= ? then ?x2,00 (example : 4 by 4=16 then 16 x2,000 =32,000 lumens needed for that space) oor you could figure 40 watts per square ft Example 4by4 = 16 then 16 x 40 = 620 watts needed) Happy cultivation !! Good looking project. Look into black/white poly - can be used like you are using other material' any way - it's all good - PeaCE ( THE POLY WILL REALLY HELP IN YOUR LIGHT CONTROL, ECT BETTER REFLECTION AND LIGHT BLACK-OUT - the stuff's about $12.00

Thanks man :) I just transplanted the plants, I'll see how the look tomorrow morning. I'm a little scared but lets hop for the best ;)

I love pictures, subbed in. Just out of curiousity as i dont use dirt I thought if you got good soil you dont even have to add nutes?

Don't worry things will turn out OK - everybody goes thru some sort of worries about their grows. Happy cultivation - Keep us posted !! Thanks for post

Hey guys ;) Thanks for posting !

So as I said, I transplanted the plants yesterday in bigger cups. I am a little bit worried
I used a mix of 50/50 perlite and black dirt for my soil.

Don't forget that i probably add some temperture problems since it was at about 90 for 3-4 days in a row.. N

So right now

- Absolutly 0 nutes.
- PH is neutral
- Watered with bottled water (not from the sink because it's not so good here)
- About 6500 lumens per square feet at the moment.
- Temperatures are at 70f with lights off and 75f lights on

About 15 hours after the transplant this is how they look like. All the leafs are pointing/curling down. It has been about 5 days like this. Some leafs are turning a little bit yellow. Any ideas of what it could be? I've searched a lot but I can't identify clearly the problem.. I'm sure some of you can help with these pictures :Namaste:

Symptoms :

- Leafs curling down
- Leafs were burning a few days ago but not it seems more stabilized
- Leafs turning yellow from the bottom

IMG_93512.JPG
IMG_93502.JPG
IMG_93482.JPG
FullSizeRender_23.jpg

PLEASE GET BETTER, LITTLE PLANTS :adore:

Well if I read your post correct you have gone 5 days without nutes and you are wondering why the plant is reacting?

imo buzz id wrap your cups in a dark material. i did a bunch of seeds in plastic cups on my deck railing n it killed them around week 3... :( roots are kinda sensitive to light. the upper new growth looks pok. try to avoid getting any water on the leaves with the lights on. even more so if its mixed with nutes. could possible be a lil over watering issue or maybe they gettin a lil hungry.. hope ya can get em goin full noise again bud. :)

thats' nutrient splash - if it was nutrient issues it would effect all the leaves not 3 out of 15 - So not to worry ! great looking babies

Update, start of week 3!

Today I gave the plants a good water with some nutrients.
I watered them until they would start dripping from the bottom.
I don't know what to think of my soil.
To my eyes, it looks like it could drain a little faster.
Though, I'll look back in two days to see if it dried a lot or not.
It's mixed with 50% Perlite so it should drain very good.

The leafs were still pointing down this morning.
They don't burn anymore but they started yellowing yesterday.

So far, my hypothesis would be:

• Clear cups let some light on the plants and they didn't like it = Burn of the leafs
  • Temperatures were too high (90 during a few days) so it probably cause some heat stress
  • The plants have all the nutrients they need for two weeks in there two first pre-leafs. I didn't feed them anything but fertilizer after the second week and they started to go "bad" at this moment. I suspect the curling/yellowing of the bottoms leafs was caused by not enough nutrients and maybe even under-watering.

Just for the record, I made a list of the mistakes I'm sure I did so far.
This way I'll remember what not to do on my next batch ;)

1. Plant more seeds (I calculated that i should germinate 2.66 * the number of wanted females. I don't have access to feminized seeds in Mexico..)
  2. Get the lights a big further from the seedlings and don't use too many globes at first (At first they were really close)
  3. Keep the temperatures in the 75-80F (I let it go up to 90-91F)
  4. Prepare better ventilation
  5. Germinate the seeds in water (I simply planted the seeds in soil and some were growing upside down)
  6. Start feeding after second week
  7. Do not use clear cups because it lets the light hit the roots
  8. Water a bit more (until the bottom starts dripping a bit)

For now, the plants are still alive and I really hope they will get better.
Though, it is my first time growing and I'll learn from my mistakes.
I did a lot of reading before,but experience overcomes anything !

If I watered them with nutrients and they were really hungry, Hpw long should they take to absorb what they need and get better ?

Have a nice day :)

You can get feminized seeds in Mexico. Get a female and read about how to make your own feminized seeds with one mother. I wrote it down about a year ago instructions a great grower I've know half my life told/showed me. It has to do with using a 9v battery to run electricity through distilled water and using the male pollen sacks. If your really interested and cant find any info online I'll look through my notebook. Also seed banks use a lot of pay methods, from bit coin to mailing reputable seed banks cash to just using your credit card after calling your bank to allow internation use. I won't use the name but check out Dutch seed banks and any with land race strains in Amsterdam

Back
Top Bottom