First Grow - First Attempt

FatBagz

Tent Jardin DS120
Strain: 2x Heavyweight Fruit Punch 2x Heavyweight Strawberry Cake, Mostly Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 24hrs paper towel germ method
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil (Plagron Lightmix & Batmix)
If soil... What size pot? Party cups & 5L pots
Size of light? 600w dual spectrum
Is it aircooled? No
Temp of Room/cab? 26c
RH of Room/cab? 34%
How often are you watering? N/A
Type and strength of ferts used? FoxFarms: Tiger Bloom, Grow Big, Big Bloom!
Other Info Rhino 6" fan & L1 filter, Ecotechnics Speed Fan Controller, Dimable Ballast.

Hi Guys, well here I am. This will be my first grow ever and my first journal. I am hoping you experienced folk can help me along the way.

I've already started the germination process. It will have been nearly 24 hours since I planted the seeds into the moist paper towel.

As soon as the seeds have cracked open and I have them in the party cups I will take my first pictures, I am very excited :)

What do you guys think of my choice of nutes,soil,seeds and overall build? I would love to hear off some of you.

FBz

Hi FatBagz.

As we haven't intereacted previously, let me start by welcoming you to the 420 Magazine community of members.

I'm not familiar with your strains exactly but am of the mind that taking the first steps to get started growing are positive no matter what. Overall I think you've made solid choices!

In time, you may or may not make different choices re: strain, lighting, etc.. but your off and running and that is the hardest part for most folks - Overcoming inertia.

Congratulations for taking the first steps of what I hope will become a life long hobby with very positive benefits! :goodjob: :bravo: :welldone:

Thanks guys. I have 3 out of the 4 seeds popped so I've stuck them in the tent, turned down my ballast to 250w and gave them a little water. I have the light hanging roughly a foot above the party cups, does this sound right?

My temps are not a problem and is sitting comfortably at 22c. My only concern at the moment is my RH is reading 43%. I have a big bucket with tea towel hanging out of it. How can I add another 15/20% humidity into my room?

FBz

Hi FatBagz!!

I'm just starting here too, this is a great place to grow.

I've read here that humidity in seedling stage should be at least 80%. A good choice is put your babies under a dome under the lights, opening it few times in a day, depending the size of domes, cause they need air to live.
Pics makes a huge difference. Show how you are doing and will be easier to say your options!

:420:
:welcome:
:hug:

Buy a humidifier and pref some type of controller to turn it on and off.
The dome i use as well but I don't open multiple times daily. Doing so resets the Hummidy. I do it once a day or every other day. I use rapid rooter and a seedling heater.

Also if your dimming your ballast your altering the light spectrum on your bulbs.

Thanks for the info guys. I've actually turned the ballast back up to 600w but moved the light further away. Temps are still OK, RH still on the low side. I've ordered a humidifier from Argos today so I will collect that later. I've finally managed to upload some pics of my setup. Apologies for taking the photos on their side.

I am also going to buy a propagator from ebay for future seedlings. I think for now I will carry on with them inside the tent, hopefully the humidifier I purchase later will sort my humidity issues.

IMG_45626.JPG

Fan pulling air directly outside, ducting length approx 1m no bends

IMG_45637.JPG

Fan speed controller, ballast & light timer, nailed to side of the shed for convenience

IMG_45733.JPG

Lights off picture

IMG_45748.JPG

Lights on picture through open port

Hi guys,

So it's been 3 days since I planted the seeds and i have 3 sprouted so happy days. I had a problem germinating the fourth she doesn't want to play game just yet. As this is my first go I've decided to pop the slow one away for another time, I'm not giving up on her just yet haha.

I've already made my first silly mistake and that was labelling the damn seeds before I forgot.... Which I did, doh! So I have 3 sprouts which are either 1x fruit punch 2x strawberry cake or vice versa. You live and learn hey?

The purchase of a humidifier was the greatest thing ever as the RH is now much more easily regulated, so thanks for the heads up. The humidifier has a blue light that lights up the water, will this confuse my plants during lights off? It isn't mega bright but does give off a glow.

I've been misting/watering as soon as the top of the soil drys which seems to be once or twice a day. The soil is never saturated, just misted till damp.

Lights on temps are nicely controlled as the fan kicks in when the room hits 28.2c but when the lights go out this can drop to anywhere between 15c and 17c, will this cause major harm to my babies?

It's currently lights off time, I will post pics of the girls in a few hours when they're back on.

FBz

Hey FatBagz

That blue light could be an issue when you switch to 12/12. I would cover it up somehow if you can :)

My rooms have always reached about 15c - 17c most nights and I have never had any noticeable issues, if anything it might slow down growth slightly and you might get more purpling later in flower.

GreenFingers

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom