Lilsnow's - White Widow - First 600W HPS Cabinet Grow

lilsnow

Hello Everyone,

First timer here, recently purchased a 600w hps dwc cabinet.
IMG_026055.JPG

Purchased 10 feminized seeds online (just in case I make some mistakes lol)
IMG_026350.JPG

Germinated 2 seeds using the paper towel method, placed under a cfl bulb for heat, seemed to work fine. I plan on getting one of those dome things for clones and seeds in the future.
IMG_026656.JPG
IMG_027450.JPG

Transferred popped seeds into rockwool dipped into purified water with a few drops of root 66 ph'ed to 5.7.
IMG_028547.JPG
IMG_028649.JPG

Placed rockwool into net cups with rocks in it so I wont have to worry about transferring again and can drop straight into the dwc system.
IMG_028749.JPG

Placed in bags and put under CFL for tonight and will put in window tomorrow morning.
IMG_029047.JPG

Open to any critiques and suggestions, as stated this is my first time. I've been wanting to do this for years and finally can, I'm really excited and hope to soak up as much knowledge as I can.

Here is a picture of the suggested nutrients schedule, so these are the type of nutes I have. From reading I can tell don't do as much as listed.
IMG_026154.JPG

:Namaste:
lilsnow

Good luck man!!
My first tip would be this...the tap root needs to be touching the rockwool on all sides if possible. I don't usually use the pre-drilled hole in the rockwool cause its too big. I'll use a toothpick or something and make a new smaller hole that fits the seedling a little more snug.
This will hold the seedling in place much more firmly and set itself to anchor into the rockwool cube.

As far as nutrients. I usually use 1/2 strength all the time. I never use full strength nutrients.
For veg growth you want to aim for around 200-500 PPM ( starting at 200 and slowly working up to around 500 by the time your ready to flip to flower)

For Flower growth I usually try to aim for between 500-900 PPM ( Again starting flower around 500 and slowly increasing PPM each week till your around 800-900 nearing the end of flower)
Cheers & good luck;)

Thanks for the tips! Yea the only reason I made the holes bigger is I didn't want to damage the root (it got pretty big). I scooped out some rockwool and then put it back over the seed. Do you think it will be okay?

Didnt post this pic yesterday but this is before I put it into the plastic bag
image11326.jpeg

:welcome: From your pictures, it appeared that one of those seeds had already popped leaves...I wouldnt cover those. Of course Im new at this as well. :D

I agree with Mouser.
If there are leaves already out of the seed pod (it looked like it was) make sure the green leaves are out of the rockwool but the white tap root is in the rockwool. Once you set the seedling into the medium the seed will take. It's not to late yet.

How's it going lilsnow?
I forgot to mention....Don't use the top feed in the closets!!!! You just want to keep the rockwool moist so the roots don't dry out, but not soaking wet. Just the splashing water from the air stone bubbles should be more than enough to keep it moist. The wet clay stones will wick the moisture into the rockwool. I find that too much water really stunts them when they are small.

Hi Stealth,

Thanks for checking in. I didn't even realize I should have put them in the cabinet yet! So that sent me into overdrive and I cleaned the cabinet with water mixed with a little hydrogen peroxide, ran the same sort of solution through the dwc system just to give it a clean from the prior user (running the top feeds). Once that was done emptied all the water out and dried. Filled the system with tap water just below the net cups and ph'ed to 5.8, I bought an RO filter but I havent set it up yet (was going to do tonight lol). Placed the plants, set the timer(16/8) and smoked a long deserving bowl. The top feeders are not on, seems like the only time they will be plugged in is when I drain the unit, I already am thinking of switching the big container out for 2 5 gallon buckets. I didnt add any nutrients since I was using tap water just ph down. PPM 320. Photos below.

From window
01a91077a4ba37447825731f565133470bb8eba931.jpg

DWC system water level
01e00e74d3eab6771efdcf6644e5f41a10da9499ea.jpg

Plants in
01e9e82a9e74333e3a6325d5a04ff96f2e9db3a12f.jpg

Close up
0173414581b801f72a590f2b72409cfa9a960d9829.jpg

They don't necessarily need to be in the closet yet but wasn't sure where you were keeping them.
Just wanted to be sure you wern't using the top feed on them. Also, move the plants to the outside row of holes. Once the plants get bigger they will be to close if they are still in the same spots.
Overall they are looking exactly how they are supposed to, good work. ;)
Your right about the top feeders, I never use them. I'm actually In the process of phasing out the closet reservoirs for the smaller black ones I make myself with 10 inch net cups as opposed to 3 inch cups.
Cheers

Hey man.
Use a pipe cleaner, or a twist tie wire to support the seedling. It will grow and be able to support itself again before long.
Don't go any higher on the nutes for a couple weeks, you might even ease off a little.
Other than that, they are looking pretty good man. ;)

Hey lilsnow

I have a lot of experience working with DWC, I'll sub in here to help you out in any way that i can :)

P.S when germing seedlings in the future it needs to be done in the dark, not under a light, thats why you had leaves appear so soon.

You need to cover those White buckets with something dark, Ideally you would use black buckets covered in a reflective material like Mylar.

Because the buckets are white it lets light into the Res which will cause root rot.

Buckets need to be 100% light proof

Keep up the good work :)

GreenFingers

Hi GreenFingers,

Thanks man I really appreciate it, I will either change the buckets ASAP or wrap them in something. Just took a look at your grow, very nice setup sir :thumb:

Much appreciated lilsnow it would be an honour to have you along for the ride :)

GreenFingers

Back
Top Bottom