My First Indoor Grow

WannaBfarmer

So far it's been a rough start for me. I made a big mistake right in the start which I didn't see addressed anywhere. I bought my seeds from Crop King Seeds and was thrilled when they arrived in early May. I took half my seeds and soaked them. I had read many of the forum posts and thought I was in control. I got flustered right away when I only got 1 of 6 White Voodoo to crack. (Crop King made VERY GOOD on their replacing unhatched seeds.) I finally got 7 plants going and was in the process of hardening them. One day I placed the plants on my west-facing deck while I went out and plowed up some acreage to plant corn. I came back to the house late afternoon to find that all 7 plants had been blown over by a west wind that I had no clue was as brisk as it was. Needless to say all 7 plants were DOA. LESSON NUMBER 1- First time growers should think twice about starting too many seeds at the same time.

Figuring I had learned a lesson of where I harden my plants, I began to crack some more seeds. I finally got 4 decent plants going again and one morning I woke up to find our house cat had eaten all the plants. LESSON NUMBER 2 - Kill your cat before starting a grow in your living room.

So today my status is I have 2 plants that should be ready to harden in a couple weeks. I also have 6 more seeds that cracked and went into soil today. Since this was supposed to be an outdoor grow I'm now worried I'm not going to have my plants in the ground outside in time for a harvest. Fall can come early. I'm tempted to invest in a grow tent and lights to grow out the seeds I planted today. I'm growing some Crown Royale, Dark Angel, Hash Plant and some Auto-Fem Mixed.

Can any outdoor grower tell me if it's going to be too late to get my 6 new seedlings outdoors? Thanks much.

Well since you have started now, they won't begin flowering out side until mid august. When daylight hours are below 14.5 hours is when they will start. So you will have almost 2 months before flowering starts and will produce a good size plant. The autos will have no issues at all. You could still start those in July and still have plenty of time.

Oh and we had an issue of our small dog climbing through the intake hole in our tent and having his way with one with one for the plants. So if you go that route, make sure the port holes are closed.

But all in all you should be fine. :thumb:

Nismo12, I think I'm going to put the autos in big pots on my deck. That way if they veg well I can move them to a shadier deck and flower them. I was told the autos should only reach 3-4 feet. I need to plant the others as I've got a place all ready for them prepared.

Thanks for the hands up on pets getting into tents. I do plan to get an indoor setup and I'd have never thought of a family "member" crawling through the holes.

Nismo12, I think I'm going to put the autos in big pots on my deck. That way if they veg well I can move them to a shadier deck and flower them. I was told the autos should only reach 3-4 feet. I need to plant the others as I've got a place all ready for them prepared.

Thanks for the hands up on pets getting into tents. I do plan to get an indoor setup and I'd have never thought of a family "member" crawling through the holes.
Not all Auto's are small....Beware!! Sativa dom auto's can reach good heights brother...Crop kings new Nyc auto can get pretty tall for a auto...Great plant to work with:high-five:

Well since you have started now, they won't begin flowering out side until mid august. When daylight hours are below 14.5 hours is when they will start. So you will have almost 2 months before flowering starts and will produce a good size plant. The autos will have no issues at all. You could still start those in July and still have plenty of time.

Oh and we had an issue of our small dog climbing through the intake hole in our tent and having his way with one with one for the plants. So if you go that route, make sure the port holes are closed.

But all in all you should be fine. :thumb:
My cat is a addict for my fan leaves:drool: I feel your pain brother..

Hey Weedman79, thanks for the heads up on the plant height. That information makes me think putting the autos on one of the decks would be a mistake. Cake said the auto plants should get around 4' max so I figured a few plants that size would blend in with the deck rails. If they were to hit 5-6' they will stick out pretty bad to visitors or neighboring farmers. I guess I can monitor the height and move them to another area if they eclipse the 4' height.

After spending so much time reading forums I should have picked up what "auto" meant. When I placed my original order with CK I hadn't ordered any autos. When my White Voodoo seeds didn't crack (1 for 6) CK gifted me some seeds including the autos.

Thanks again for your visit and expertise. :thanks: These forums are AWESOME! :420: :circle-of-love:

That's where we shine. Inside grows. We can help you with any questions you have then. Even now we can help if you would like.

Hey Canna M! Thanks for your visit to my journal. :welcome: I do have a question for you inside growers. When you have an exhaust fan from your tent, do you always have to duct it outdoors? I haven't been around growing weed since the 70's so I don't remember the smell (plus back then I knew of no one doing inside grows)

I have an air exchanger for my whole house so I'm thinking if the exhaust must go outside I could tap into the exhaust side of the air exchanger and get the tent air outside. My windows are casements so I don't know of a way to vent through them and still look ok.

Thanks again! I appreciate all advice. Gus

Good morning! We exhaust outside of the house through an old dryer vent. Before we vented into the attic when our tent was on the second floor. As long as you exhaust outside of the room where your intake and tent is at you would be fine. If you have the means to tap into your exchanger then that would be perfect. If you put a carbon filter inside of your tent then you shouldn't have to worry about the smell. When opened our tent you could smell it, but closed up you would never smell it or know it was there. Hope that helps.

Hey Canna M! Thanks for your visit to my journal. :welcome: I do have a question for you inside growers. When you have an exhaust fan from your tent, do you always have to duct it outdoors? I haven't been around growing weed since the 70's so I don't remember the smell (plus back then I knew of no one doing inside grows)

I have an air exchanger for my whole house so I'm thinking if the exhaust must go outside I could tap into the exhaust side of the air exchanger and get the tent air outside. My windows are casements so I don't know of a way to vent through them and still look ok.

Thanks again! I appreciate all advice. Gus
Hi Gus! It seems as though nis beat be to the answer. He had to work early, I slept in. Lol! I hope you have a good day! :passitleft:

I found some life in one of the seedlings my cat ripped up. Should I cut the top stem down the the new leaves or leave it alone?

image13499.jpeg

(I hope I did my first photo correctly)

Canna and Nismo12, your "joint" journal keep me from getting any sleep last night. I woke up an hour into my sleep with neuropathy pain in my feet. I found your journal and spent from midnight until 5:30am reading it. What really sucks was I only got through half! Great first harvest. WOWSERS You two belong in the biz. I was considering trying to find your garden and raid it, but with all those people cheering you on and smoking dubs, plus that guard dog, I'm going to forget it.

So far it's been a rough start for me. I made a big mistake right in the start which I didn't see addressed anywhere. I bought my seeds from Crop King Seeds and was thrilled when they arrived in early May. I took half my seeds and soaked them. I had read many of the forum posts and thought I was in control. I got flustered right away when I only got 1 of 6 White Voodoo to crack. (Crop King made VERY GOOD on their replacing unhatched seeds.) I finally got 7 plants going and was in the process of hardening them. One day I placed the plants on my west-facing deck while I went out and plowed up some acreage to plant corn. I came back to the house late afternoon to find that all 7 plants had been blown over by a west wind that I had no clue was as brisk as it was. Needless to say all 7 plants were DOA. LESSON NUMBER 1- First time growers should think twice about starting too many seeds at the same time.

Figuring I had learned a lesson of where I harden my plants, I began to crack some more seeds. I finally got 4 decent plants going again and one morning I woke up to find our house cat had eaten all the plants. LESSON NUMBER 2 - Kill your cat before starting a grow in your living room.

So today my status is I have 2 plants that should be ready to harden in a couple weeks. I also have 6 more seeds that cracked and went into soil today. Since this was supposed to be an outdoor grow I'm now worried I'm not going to have my plants in the ground outside in time for a harvest. Fall can come early. I'm tempted to invest in a grow tent and lights to grow out the seeds I planted today. I'm growing some Crown Royale, Dark Angel, Hash Plant and some Auto-Fem Mixed.

Can any outdoor grower tell me if it's going to be too late to get my 6 new seedlings outdoors? Thanks much.

Although I am not an outdoor grower, I am going to support your urge or thought of getting a grow tent and lights. I have a crazy dog and a crazy cat and technically live in a barn where there are lots of bugs. I have not had any issues whatsoever.

All you need is a grow tent and a solid LED light. I prefer the LED cause it keeps the heat down and don't have to switch light throughout the grow.

I am also growing in coco so my nutrients come through watering. I have not any bugs issues yet and I live in a 150 year old barn.

I found some life in one of the seedlings my cat ripped up. Should I cut the top stem down the the new leaves or leave it alone?

image13499.jpeg

(I hope I did my first photo correctly)

Canna and Nismo12, your "joint" journal keep me from getting any sleep last night. I woke up an hour into my sleep with neuropathy pain in my feet. I found your journal and spent from midnight until 5:30am reading it. What really sucks was I only got through half! Great first harvest. WOWSERS You two belong in the biz. I was considering trying to find your garden and raid it, but with all those people cheering you on and smoking dubs, plus that guard dog, I'm going to forget it.
I'd keep it. If the cat didn't kill it, let her do her thing. It may be stunted for a bit due to the trauma, but she will come back.
Thanks for the sweet words. We like to think our journal is full of helpful info for the insomniacs. Lol at least reading our journal didn't put you to sleep. That's why good thing for us, not so good for you though. Lol!

It looks like your cat topped it pretty well for you a bit early though. But i bet it ends up a super star it looks healthy.
Watch for those cotyledons/ the first round leaves, to shrivel up she might need some extra attention when they do since her roots will only be developed enough for one top and she looks like she will have two tops

Well a week has passed and I'm thankful I didn't have my plants outside. Last Tuesday we had a fast moving storm come through and it dropped 3 1/2" of rain in 45 minutes. Needless to say we had a lot of erosion here in hill country. The main road to my place washed out and we were without power or internet for a day. Had the plants been outside they'd have surely drown or been washed away. It's been a lot of work clearing out trees and brush from the creek and around the property. I have yet to repair the ruts in my gravel driveway.

I hope to get some pictures and should soon have plants in planters to adorn the decks. I spent a little time tonight looking at grow tents and lights. I'm determined to get in an outdoor grow and harvest in 2016.

Wow that is heavy rain Im glad everything will be OK. It is alot of work to get things put back together on acreage after a flood. I helped rebuild my dads road and clear debris when I was younger after the flood of 96 in Oregon

Back
Top Bottom