9th Planet Quasar 1000W LED Sponsored Journal

Aaron Quix

A big thanks to 9th Planet for allowing me to demo their gear for this journal!

For now, here are the basics as we get things dialed in.

The space:
4'x4'x8' closet.

Ventilation:
6" Hydrofarm inline fan-400 CFM. Installed in attic, ducted into closet.
6'x8" passive intake, allowing cool air into the closet from the office.

Odor mitigation:
6"x24" Can-Lite carbon air scrubber.

Temperature control:
12,000 BTU window A.C. in office.
Swamp cooler
Whole home central A.C.

Lights:
1000 watt 9th Planet Quasar LED, running at 50% for now
50w 9th Planet LED, to run side by side comparisons with 125w CFL for clones and early veg plants

Medium:
This journal is going to start in the middle of a grow using coco, in a 5 gallon homer bucket. The one large plant was a rescue, and I've promised to flower her out. When I'm finished with her, I will return to soil which I have run for years. The soil will be 35% Fox Farms Ocean Forrest, 35% Fox Farms Happy Frog and 30% perlite. Bear with me.
When I return to soil, I will be using 7 Gallon Smart Pots.

Nutrients:
My soil plants will receive Dutch Pro 5 part system. I will not mention the name of the nutes I'm using for the coco based plant because they are experimental, and not a sponsor here at our beloved 420Magazine.com.

Water:
This will infuriate some, and I'm afraid I just don't care lol. I use tap water, and always have. I know that R.O. water is superior, and I'd love to invest in a system some day. That day will have to wait. Last I checked, the PH of my local tap water was 6.7. Apparently, good enough:thumb:
I do fill gallon jugs and allow them to gas-off to minimize chlorine, if that makes you feel any better!

Current temps are between 79 and 85 degrees F with the Quasar at 50% power, and humidity is bouncing between 35% and 45% RH. My swamp cooler is helpful with the latter. The 73 degrees you'll seen in the picture below is with the closet door open to the office. As I tend to keep my grow closed, and locked, I'm using the typical temperature range with the door closed as my baseline.

Strains:
Currently, Skunkberry. The soil grow coming up will be Blue Dream and Strawberry Cough.

The Skunkberry is a mother plant gifted to me by someone close, and has a strong root system and branching. I currently have eight clones rooting, and will take another eight in a day or so. Stay tuned for that, as some will hate my method of cloning too:;):

Part of the purpose of my journals has always been to demonstrate the ability of Cannabis to thrive in slightly less than optimal conditions, in order to encourage those new to growing to jump right in and get growing. Obviously, we want every environmental condition under our control to be dialed in perfectly, but that isn't always possible. Don't be discouraged by the overwhelming amount of information out there, or the nay-sayers who advise against one method or another. Use what you have, to the best of your ability and provide yourself with the medicine you need. Although there IS a science to this, you don't have to be a scientist. I've grown two, 4' plants in a 2'x'2 corner of a closet, under CFLs, with no ventilation. Was my harvest successful? Well, it depends on your perspective. I pulled 4oz from that grow. Was it top shelf? No, but I provided myself with the medicine I needed at the time. You can find pictures of that grow in my gallery here.
Long story short, I've learned a lot since those days, and continue learning every year. I've slowly invested in equipment over time, and spent countless hours reading the journals of others here. I eventually learned the importance of environmental control within the grow, and I have things pretty close. Sometimes, close is good enough.

This will be a fairly basic journal, but please feel free to chime in with questions, comments and cross chatter. If you have a question that I can't answer, I will direct you to someone who can.

DSC_031818.JPG
DSC_031720.JPG
DSC_031919.JPG
DSC_032016.JPG
DSC_032118.JPG
DSC_031616.JPG
DSC_032215.JPG
DSC_032315.JPG

Nice setup. I'm subbed.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Thanks A-a-ron! I hope you watch key and peele.

I don't watch a lot of tv, but I DID see that one...Coworkers lol. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Just for fun, here's a look at the UV only on the Quasar.

I'm so new to LED, that I was oblivious to the fact that manufacturers were putting these in their panels.

There's been talk for years about the added benefit, (or lack thereof) of UV in growing cannabis. Last I heard, it may increase resin production as the plant develops a defense against harmful rays. 9th Planet has advised me to run the UV during the last 3-4 weeks of flower if memory serves correctly. Anyone have any input?

DSC_035117.JPG

DSC_034914.JPG

DSC_035018.JPG

DSC_035314.JPG

DSC_035217.JPG

:goodjob: That is a beast of a light! Make sure you have eye protection :riskybusiness:

Do you know the specs of the UV diodes? Wavelength, etc.

Although UV light is a natural part of sunlight, there is quite a lot of controversy about its relative benefits for indoor growers.

I would just follow their advice and leave it off until the last few weeks.

My concept of supplementing with UV is that Autumn skies are often clearer (less hazy) than in summer, so more UV light can pass through the atmosphere when the flowers are naturally ripening outdoors. The closer we can get to an ideal outdoor environment, the better.

:goodluck: :popcorn:

UV in veg will stunt plant growth and allow roots to outgrow top of plant. UV light will cause white spots on leafs if ran to long. Tricky to balance, easy to damage. 285nm-315nm B range high energy, 385nm-425nm A range less harmful energy. Last few weeks will increase oil production and smell. Just be careful around it and try not to look at the light or stay under it very long.

Cheers

Oh, yeah this is what I use, UVB150 bulb, they have 200's now.

1f1ec6e62a8bde2321b1b275ff3f0d5c.jpg

5210193a510bf5ccd9eed169b19b112e.jpg

4375e21dc62385abeb4c000561d43dc2.jpg

d638ab65c75207aafd66cf94fc1c5b7d.jpg

And late flower I move it around the plant. Effective up to 24" from bulb, not bad for 26 watt CFL.

80897184d2b7648ad42f576d1a4f7b66.jpg

Cheers

Nice job, Brother! +REPS! :welldone:

Is that a CO2 tank I'm seeing in the corner??? :popcorn:

I'm guessing you've outgrown that closet! :rofl:
Thanks kindly Krip! Yessir, I've got a full tank sitting there. I'm not currently running it, though, because I've yet to get timing dialed in with regard to evacuation. I HAVE to run the exhaust to keep temps down, which only leaves me one option. Cycle the fan on and off and cycle the Co2 on during the off times. This then brings me to my next problem-Temperature swings. Regardless of any addition of Co2, the plants still like their consistency in temperature. I'm torn....

I'm making some adjustments to my ducting, and filter placement today in an attempt to better evacuate the heat, so once that's done I'll have a better idea of where the temps sit. Running the quasar at 50% gives me a stable 81 degrees with the door closed and the fan running. I'm shooting for 77.

I'd like to get the environment where I can run this thing at full power, though, which will take some serious adjustment. 3 Hours at full power got me up to 95 with the door closed a few days ago. Not acceptable. I may have to try to pipe the window AC into the closet somehow....

:goodjob: That is a beast of a light! Make sure you have eye protection :riskybusiness:

Do you know the specs of the UV diodes? Wavelength, etc.

Although UV light is a natural part of sunlight, there is quite a lot of controversy about its relative benefits for indoor growers.

I would just follow their advice and leave it off until the last few weeks.

My concept of supplementing with UV is that Autumn skies are often clearer (less hazy) than in summer, so more UV light can pass through the atmosphere when the flowers are naturally ripening outdoors. The closer we can get to an ideal outdoor environment, the better.

:goodluck: :popcorn:

Welcome Richard!!:welcome:

I'll have to dig up the specs. It's something I really wanted to post in the introduction...Stay tuned Brother.
Yes, UV, the ever controversial subject. I'll just follow manufacturers recommendations and see what's what.
I like your theory.

As for eye protection, our boss has an email in to Method 7 to see about getting a pair of their green lenses made specifically for LEDs. We shall see if they'd like some "exposure"...Pun intended:thumb:

UV in veg will stunt plant growth and allow roots to outgrow top of plant. UV light will cause white spots on leafs if ran to long. Tricky to balance, easy to damage. 285nm-315nm B range high energy, 385nm-425nm A range less harmful energy. Last few weeks will increase oil production and smell. Just be careful around it and try not to look at the light or stay under it very long.

Cheers

Great info thanks for that! Do have some links to that type of info we can check out? Charts and tables make journals fun:thumb:
I hope it's beneficial with regard to oil and smell, we all like sticky and stinky right?:volcano-smiley:
Oh, yeah this is what I use, UVB150 bulb, they have 200's now.

1f1ec6e62a8bde2321b1b275ff3f0d5c.jpg

5210193a510bf5ccd9eed169b19b112e.jpg

4375e21dc62385abeb4c000561d43dc2.jpg

d638ab65c75207aafd66cf94fc1c5b7d.jpg

And late flower I move it around the plant. Effective up to 24" from bulb, not bad for 26 watt CFL.

80897184d2b7648ad42f576d1a4f7b66.jpg

Cheers

Looks like you've got a nice head stash!

Any kind of green welding assistant's safety glasses will do, if they don't come through :;):

As for eye protection, our boss has an email in to Method 7 to see about getting a pair of their green lenses made specifically for LEDs. We shall see if they'd like some "exposure"...Pun intended:thumb:

:)
Any kind of green welding assistant's safety glasses will do, if they don't come through :;):

No kidding? I'm on my way to the depot of homes soon, I'll see if they carry them. Thanks!! I'd still like to get ahold of the professional glasses though, I can write a review for the home page AND demo them here in the journal. They'd be silly not to get on board with that kind of advertising.

:)

No kidding? I'm on my way to the depot of homes soon, I'll see if they carry them. Thanks!! I'd still like to get ahold of the professional glasses though, I can write a review for the home page AND demo them here in the journal. They'd be silly not to get on board with that kind of advertising.

:goodjob: I agree.

Slightly tinted safety glasses will do for now; they all have to protect against UV, even the clear ones!

Go for an industrial brand name, if possible :goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom