Kink's 2016 - 2nd Grow - Organic - Indoor - Sativa - Nebula - Delahaze - Jacky White

Kink

Hey there and welcome to my second ever grow journal here on 420mag! :welcome: :passitleft:

This is a followup of my first grow, which can be found here. I intend on doing everything this grow that I wanted to do with the last and simply didn't, due to not wanting to waste money and extra effort on bagseeds.

The first grow was also my stepping stone into this hobby, testing if I even have a green thumb... I knew almost nothing about caring for, nurturing, training or maintaining a cannabis plant and am in the end very satisfied with the months of hands on experience that I gained and the ton other knowledge that was gained that I couldn't acquire by just reading grow resources.

Anyways, let's get down to the nitty gritty of my intentions with this grow and the details around it :idea::

How I intend on improving the quality of this grow, in comparison to my last:

• (1.) Bigger end pot sizes (10-15gal), applying better acquired training knowledge such as pruning/trimming, creating actual monster trees.
    -- After having bought the new grow light for the last grow, I set higher ambitions for the bagseeds than I would ever actually see to fruition, I.e. wanting to eventually move them to 7 or 10 gallon pots and them only ending up in 5 gallon pots, barely a move at all from their former 3 gallon ones.
    I fully intend on growing out some monsters this time around, applying the hands on experience with LST I got from my last grow and the information I've learned about pruning, trimming and other high stress training techniques that I never used before.

Main Game Plan: Long veg time(~3+ Months, probably 3-4 additional weeks after their final transplant), creating as many massive, stalky colas that I can through FIM/Pruning - this time training colas slightly horizontally only to increase light penetration deeper into the canopy instead of training them to grow horizontally like I did last with my last grow resulting in beefy top colas but very airy, popcorn ridden bottom ones.

Currently unsure in which approach I intend on taking on transplant order to reach the final pot sizes, most likely something like:
    Solo Cup from seed until root bound --> Transplant to 3 gallon smart pot until root bound --> Transplant to 7 gallon smart pot until root bound --> Transplant to 15 gallon, wait 3-4 weeks to allow root expansion, switch to flower.

As I'm unable to currently do a perpetual harvest, my main goal is to have as big of a single harvest as I can twice a year, I think a long veg time and big end pot sizes are the route I should take for what I'm seeking but I'm unsure if 15 gallon would be too much for my closet space, especially running 3 of them. Would love to hear opinions on if it would be better to do 3, 10 gallon plants or 2, 15 gallons ones.

• (2.) PH Testing and accurate temperature/RH reading w/ a digital hygrometer.
    -- I did not test or adjust the last grow's water PH once in the entire grow, while this didn't cause issues at all during veg (Using Distilled water), it became a big issue in the switch to flower when one of my girls became majorly stunted from what most opinions thought were due to Phosphorus lockout on top of me pulling a newb mistake and not cutting out heavy Nitrogen from my indica girls sooner.
    -- A simple mercury thermometer was used last time to check temperatures at canopy level, while it worked for that purpose, I was lacking a ton of vital information like RH and my lows and high temps - I could very well have missed a ton of temperature spikes causing undue stress.

• (3.) Quality genetics and strains I'm truly excited about.
    -- Starting from quality genetics this time and them being sativa dominant like I prefer, I'm without a doubt entering this grow with an all around more positive outlook on what I can expect to see and experience this go around.
    I don't doubt I will still run into problems but I hope because I feel more invested this time that I won't feel the need to gimp out or slack in areas I did with the last.

General Grow Details:

• [11/3/2016] | Journal created...waiting for seeds to arrive!
3.5x3x7 Closet Grow:
360° Closet Walls/Makeshift Door wrapped with 92-95% reflective mylar.
  • Light Setup: 1x 400w MH Bulb for veg, 1x 400w HPS bulb for flower.
  • Grow Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest, I intend on mixing 2% per volume of soil some Neptune's Harvest Crab Shell (2-3-0) into the soil, most likely once the plants are mature enough to be transplanted into 3+ gallons. Would also like to get some Neptune's Harvest Kelp Meal (1-0-2) to place at root level to help with transplant shock.
  • Pots: Smart pots, Starting from solo cups and slowly working my way up to 10-15gal pots.
  • Nutrients: I'm going to be sticking with Neptune's Harvest throughout veg, which will be the Neptune's Harvest Fish/Seaweed Blend (2-3-1) and plain seaweed (0-0-1) on off days. Around week 2 of flower I will be switching to Dr. Earth's Flower Girl (1-9-2), slowly phasing out the NH seaweed with increasing amounts of Dr. Earth.
    Something extra I'll be doing this time around will be the addition of Xtreme gardening Mykos into the medium between transplants to help bolster root health.
  • Strains: Paradise Seeds | Nebula, Delahaze and Jacky White
  • Training: Primarily going to be doing LST, FIMing at the 5th nodes back down to the 4th and most likely FIMing once or twice more after that a few weeks between each time respectively.

The main mission of LST this go around is not so much to battle vertical growth but to compliment the natural lankiness of the sativas and provide better light penetration deeper into the plant and onto each and every cola. I have more vertical room to work with than horizontal so I feel I can yield much more by still LSTing a lot, just not as intensely in my bends almost causing super-cropping effects like I did with my indicas from last grow.
  • Cooling: I'm currently using 2x 200mm 110cfm each fans (Exhaust) and 2x 120mm 62cfm fans (Intake) aimed at the HID hood, pulling air through the light and out the two exhaust fans. On ground level there's one oscillating 18" fan blowing indirectly throughout the canopy and up towards the light and out the exhaust.

An A/C is 100% needed with this setup during the summer but as the weather has been getting colder I've found it's easily possible to maintain temps of around 75-78F when running the light at night time, I can definitely see having to hook up a space heater at some point in winter :thumb:.

Thanks for stopping by the journal, my next update will be once the seeds land from Herbie's :drool::peacetwo:.

Re: Kink's 2016 - 2nd Grow - Organic - Indoor - Sativa - Nebula - Delahaze - Jacky Wh

Seeds arrived from Herbie's on 11/9, they were placed in glasses of distilled water w/ labeled baggies under them on top of my modem faster than I care to admit :cheesygrinsmiley:.

Without further a due, I welcome Nebula/Jacky White and Delahaze into the world :popcorn:
!

Log so far:
  • [11/9] - Seeds placed in water to germinate
  • [11/10 - 8:30 PM] - Delahaze showing 1cm taproot, planted into solo cup of FFOF.
  • [11/11 - 8:00 AM] - Jacky White and Nebula both showing 1cm taproot, planted in solo cups of FFOF.
  • [11/12] - Delahaze and Nebula both sprouted.
  • [11/13] - Jacky White sprouted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pictures Thus far:
Seed pack (Freebies were donated to a family member):
Seeds89.jpg

Germination, Delahaze already showing taproot less than 24 hours after being placed into water :love::
Germination9.jpg

Seedlings as of Today(11/14):
All_Three_seedlings.jpg

Delahaze (Day 3, 11/4):
Delahaze_Seedling_Day_3.jpg

Nebula (Day 3, 11/4):
Nebula_Day_3.jpg

Jacky White (Day 2, 11/14):
Jacky_White_Day_2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have been running the 400w at 50% power and at 24" away from the top of the water cups, temperatures have been a consistent 76F/77F, low RH%, usually 30%-20%s, definitely helpful to have the mini humidity domes with the drier weather lately. Planning on raising the light to 75% power and lowering it to 18"-19" once they have their second nodes, eventually raising it to 100%/lowering it to 15" or so and replacing the older veg bulb with the newer one I bought :circle-of-love:.

Don't mind the noticeable stretching, I entirely blame this on my use of a 2100K CFL (the only kind I had) to get them up out of the ground, plus I had the 400w at a good 30" away slowly lowering it to 24" over the course of their first few days unsure of where to leave it, pretty comfortable where it's at now that it should prevent further stretching.

Re: Kink's 2016 - 2nd Grow - Organic - Indoor - Sativa - Nebula - Delahaze - Jacky Wh

Oh my goodness. Very nice. I am totally subbed up and watching. This is something to look forward to watching. Thanks man!

Spooks

Hey spookie, so glad to have you aboard for the ride, dude! :thanks: :passitleft:

Now, for a plenty due update on my girls:

The sad news: Nebula has been slaughtered :rip:....thanks to my new kitten and my own carelessness about that fact(I had no idea cats like weed plants as if they're freaking catnip...the more you know :phew::hug:) .

The mending news: Kitty didn't kill off all of them and at least left me with delahaze and Jacky White, and was even nice enough to not eat all of their nodes and left me with 1 node for delahaze and 2 nodes for Jacky white respectively.... these are some freaky resilient plants!

Unfortunately I didn't know if either girl was even going to survive so I didn't start taking pics again until after they started recovering and I knew they would be okay.

Anyways, onto some pictures!

As for why I think these plants are so resilient, delahaze started interestingly growing new cotyledons to replace her old ones when my kitten ate away most of her growth, in my opinion probably stressing herself to try to pump out all the new vegetation she can for energy:
Delahaze_New_cotyledon_1.png

Delahaze_new_cotyledon_2.png

The girls before their transplant (Jacky White left, Delahaze Right):
Both_plants_before_transplant.jpg

Jacky White before transplant:
Jacky_White.jpg

Delahaze before Transplant (minor heat stress from having the reflector a tad too close):
Delahaze_Solo_Cup_before_transplant.jpg

Girls in their new 1 gallon fabric pots (Delahaze Left, Jacky White Right):
Jacky_and_Dela_-_12-13-2016_-_Before_LST.jpg

Beginning LST on Delahaze's single node:
Delahaze_LST_point_2.jpg

Delahaze_LST_point_1.jpg

LST on Jacky White's 2 nodes:
Jacky_White_Node_1_tied_down.jpg

Jacky_White_node_2_tied_down.jpg

Both plants together (Delahaze Left, Jacky White Right):
Delahaze_and_Jacky_after_LST_12-13-2016.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main goals are just going to be re-tying the nodes down as they out grow their current ones, probably won't be topping a second time until they're close to out growing the 1 gallons and are ready to move on, might be sooner depending on how they grow horizontally so I can begin creating more main colas and making lemonade with my lemon girls!

I've decided to do a 16 cola main-line on Jacky White and trim up/top Delahaze who I will now let grow vertically as I cannot properly main-line her, I will continue to top her and prune lower energy sucking nodes but I will leave some inner node sites on her as she seems to be more sativa dominant than Jacky.

I'm also no longer putting a veg time cap on this grow journal as I'm now doing my first main-line, however long it takes to get to a bic-lighter or thicker stalk and 10 gallon pots is the new cap :blunt::popcorn:!

Day 36 (12-19-2016):

Delahaze/Jacky White together:
Delahaze_and_Jacky_White_-_12-19-2016.jpg

Jacky White Mainlined - Top View:
Jacky_white_-_top_view_-_Switch_to_Green_tape.jpg

Jacky White Mainlined - Side View - 4 visible tops out of the planned 16:
Jacky_White_-_Mainline_from_side_-_Switch_to_green_tape.jpg

What will be seen in my next update for Jacky: Letting her 4 nodes current grow until they're big enough to die down, then I'm going to top them all again for 8 total nodes. After couple weeks removing the 4 fan leaves giving energy to the 4 nodes topped earlier to help create thicker stems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delahaze Topped and trimmed up:
Delahaze_-_LST_d_and_topped_-_day_36.jpg

Plans for Delahaze by my next update: I'm going to let this plant veg out for a month, I'm not exactly sure what the nest form of training at this point I should apply, so I'm just going to let her veg for a month or so and stick to topping/LST with this girl, maybe the occasional pruning of lower nodes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some bonus pictues of the two girls before/after being topped and trimmed up:

Jacky White - Topped twice - Before Trim:
Jacky_White_Topped_-_before_trim.jpg

Jacky_White_Topped_-_before_trim_2.jpg

Delahaze - Topped - Before trim:
Delahaze_topped_before_trim_day_37.jpg

Trying to keep this short and sweet as I've been crushed for time :cheesygrinsmiley:. Upgraded my ventilation finally.... goodbye 200mm PC fans/gullwing, hello 400cfm inline fan/Air Cooled hood :cheer:!

Some cliff notes:
  • Started a new Nebula seed (mr. kitty ain't getting you this time, girl!), sprouted somewhere around 12/27.
  • Jacky white has 12 colas in her main-line, down from the intended 16 due to me snapping a node drunk around christmas time.
  • I've been heavily pruning Jacky/Delas fan leaves in order to stunt new node growth, hopefully allowing Nebula to get some breath under her, obviously she won't be anywhere near Dela/Jacky at the end of this but I didn't want to grow the 2 strains and not the 3rd, didn't feel right, even if I have to take a dip in yield.
  • I bought Cyco Coco Pearl, I intent to swap Nebula to all coco/perlite once I transplant her the first time :circle-of-love:. I would love to finish Nebula in all coco, most likely a 5 gallon.

onward... to the pictures!

Replaced the make-shift blanket I was using for a door and bought some panda film, also bought a replacement grow tent zipper so i can easily get in/out.

Outside_of_Closet.jpg

Girls_from_Intake_hole.jpg

Air_cooled_hood1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The_coco_is_in.jpg

All three girls (1/6):
All_3_girls_1_-_6_-2017.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jacky White Day 42 - Top view:
Jacky_white_-_day_42_-_1.jpg

Jacky White Day 42 - Side View:
Jacky_White_-_Day_42_-_2.jpg

Jacky White Day 45, Trimmed fan leaves - 1:
Jacky_White_-_Day_45_-_1.jpg

Jacky White Day 45, Trimmed fan leaves - 2:
Jacky_White_-_Day_45_-_2.jpg

Jacky White Day 55 (1/6) - 1:
Jacky_White_-_day_54_-_Top.jpg

Jacky White Day 55 (1/6) - 2:
Jacky_White_-_day_54_-_Side.jpg

Jacky White Day 55 (1/6) - After Trim 1:
Jacky_white_day_54_after_trim.jpg

Jacky White Day 55 (1/6) - After Trim 2:
Jacky_white_day_54_after_trim_2.jpg

Delahaze Day 43:
Delahaze_day_43.jpg

Delahaze Day 46:
Delahaze_day_46.jpg

Delahaze Day 55 (1/6) - Top View - (Minor nute burn noticeable from a too high dose of Neptune's Harvest Seaweed (was actually like 1/4 strength, too + the air cooled hood might still be a lil too close, temps have been 70-75F - 40-65% RH @ 10-11" away from the canopy, though):
Delahaze_-_day_55_-_Top.jpg

Delahaze Day 55 (1/6) - Side View:
Delahaze_-_day_55_-_Side.jpg

Delahaze Day 55 (1/6) - After Trim 1:
Delahaze_day_55_after_trim.jpg

Delahaze Day 55 (1/6) - After Trim 2:
Delahaze_day_55_after_trim_2.jpg

Nebula Day 2:
1228161939a.jpg

Nebula Day 10 (1/6):
nebula_day_10.jpg

Jacky white is proving to be extremely vigorous, places where I prune fan leaves completely, she continues to grow out new ones, very impressed!

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom