AK-47 - My Second Grow - Applying What I've Learned

Regnad Kcin

• Strain: AK-47 Feminized. 35% - 65% Sativa dominant
  • Indoor Soil Grow. Seeds started in Solo cups - Miracle Grow Seed Starter mix. Transplant to FFOF soil at first transplant.
  • Lighting: CFL 12-1 (AKA Gas Lantern Routine) cycle during veg. Will convert to 11-13 diminishing cycle during flower down to 9-15 by the time of harvest.
  • Intend to use ScrOG technique to maximize canopy under distributed CFL lighting.

Here we go again. I started 3 seeds just under 3 weeks ago and two days ago up-potted them from their solo cups to 8" pots. Going to veg for a couple more weeks till the roots say so and then do another up-pot to their final 2-3 gallon pots as a final home. Once the roots in their final pots appear ready, I'll move the plants from their current veg site to the flower area that currently houses my White Widow grow which should be harvested just about the time these ladies will need to be moved under the scrog.

I'm not going to change much of my routine from the last grow except to focus more on developing a very dense root structure in these three plants before moving to flower. Longer veg, two transplants rather than one, and a bit more topping than I employed on my first grow.

Already I've learned from my over-watering the first time around in seedling mode and the plants took the transplant without dropping a beat. They look much better at this stage than my first attempt.

Yup...ready for transplant!

Veg_Day_17_4394.JPG

Veg_Day_17_4392.JPG

Two days later in their new 8" pots.....

Veg_Day_17_4444.JPG

Veg_Day_17_4445.JPG

She's a perfectly healthy girl. Not a blemish on her and a nice root ball. I've never grown the feminized AK47, but have been considering it. Looks like you have a plan so I'm here for the show.

I am curious why you are going to run your lights at 11-13 down to 9-15? I would think you would want as much lights on for flower (i.e. 12-12 or 13-11) when using CFL with less lumens than LED and HPS. Is this a common technique when using CFLs to flower?

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

Great question, GG, and thanks!

Frankly it's based on a suggestion from a person who has had quite a bit of experience growing weed under the 12-1 (gas light routine) method and he suggests that the gradual reduction of lighting mimics the naturally diminishing light in fall. He wasn't talking about lighting types, (HID, LED, CFL), just the duration of illumination. His suggestion was to drop a half hour every two weeks, but since my timer allows for 15 minute adjustments, I'll drop it 15 minutes each week.

I've employed this on my radical WW grow and it seems to be doing a decent job. The buds are fattening up nicely. The big difference between CFL and all other types of growing is that one really can't get the CFLs too close to the plants, (no touching).. A few of my WW buds are less than ½ inch from the closest CFL. Almost touching, but not. No signs of stress at all.

Happy New Year one and all!

I'm really relishing in my good fortune so far on this my second grow. Today is Day 25 of veg. I'm counting time from the day the seedlings broke ground. 3 planted...100% germination rate. This is the second time I've gotten 100% germination from Robert Bergman's seeds. I don't see him mentioned much in these forums, but my first two experiences germinating his seeds have been perfect.

Today is a week since their first transplant and only two days since I topped the main cola. All three of the ladies are just as healthy as this one. The 12-1 lighting routine seems to be producing vigorous plants. It would be nice if others who run longer lighting routines would comment on whether or not these ladies are developmentally similar to yours at 25 days since sprout. Keep in mind that this is a soil grow, not Hydro. Hydro development can't be equated to soil development.

'm quite a bit more stingy with the water than I was in my first "I tried everything" grow. As a result I'm seeing what amounts to nearly perfect growth through the first 3 weeks. These are so much more healthy than my overwatered first grow. These never even hesitated after their first transplant and hopefully will do the same after their next and final transplant perhaps in a week or so. I'll check the roots then and see how they are doing.

Veg_Day_25_4460.JPG

Veg_Day_25_4461.JPG

Looking good :bravo: isnt it nice when you see the results of your learning and experience. Im in my 2nd grow right now, week 5 flower. Hope your 2nd grow goes a little smoother then mine, im a slow learner lol. :passitleft:

Sent from my SM-G935P using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Day 35 since sprout.

AKs are still looking great. All three are extremely healthy. Today was the second transplant to their final pots. New colas have formed now 10 days since these were first topped. I’m not sure how fast this is supposed to happen, but for the moment, I’m happy to have three plants in perfect health.

Node spacing is nice and tight. I’ll be moving these over to the main grow area in a week or so after the Radical White Widow grow has been completely harvested.

Here is how they looked 10 days ago just after being topped:

Veg_Day_25_4460.JPG

Yup...the 8" pots have done their job. Now it's time for the second and final transplant:

Veg_Day_35_4504.JPG

Today in her new home. The other two look almost identical.

Veg_Day_35_4515.JPG

Hey my patient few subscribers...time for an update!

Well, it's day 54 of veg. and while I've shown some root shots, and a few baby photos through the first two transplants, I pretty much settled into the early veg. zone. Not much happens. Keep 'em happy with a shot of water when they need it, and I've been rotating them around in the veg space 'cause it's a little cramped and the one fan I have in there pushes harder at one end than at the other.

Speaking of the veg space, I had to McGuyver another temporary spot to raise these 3 ladies since the main grow area was otherwise occupied with my first grow of White Widow. Yesterday was a full day of final harvest over there, and cleaning up the place for the new arrivals.

Here is the space that these three have been living for the past 6 weeks.

Veg_Day_54_4969-02.JPG

Yup, they've been right up there nearly touching the tubes since they were seedlings.​

Veg_Day_54_4994-HDR.JPG

View from topside on watering day!​

Veg_Day_54_5028.JPG

OK, so I got the main area cleaned out and here are the 3 ladies in their new digs.​

Veg_Day_54_5076.JPG

And now under scrog, with more light, and ready to spread out.​

Veg_Day_54_5081-HDR.JPG

wow, looking great! Your plants have turned into some nice bushes ready to produce.

Are you vegging them longer under the CFLs or are you flipping to 12/12 now? I imagine you will need to train to the screen daily once the stretch starts?

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see how that large bank of CFLs work out for you. :thumb:

P.S. I have been vegging under 4' t8 fixtures for years. Works great for me. I used a couple pieces of 2x4, some eye-hooks and swing set chain and I can veg up 10 plants under the 2x4 foot area.
veg-sta.jpg

I'll probably keep them under veg for another week or two. I'm time limited in this space so I won't go longer than two more weeks. I'll have to see how fast they spread out under scrog. They've been topped twice to make them bushy. Now I have to let all those colas wander around a bit under the net before throwing the switch.

My first White Widow crop didn't stretch at all after the switch, and showed flowering behavior less than a week after the switch. I suspect (but can't prove) that moving from 12-1 (gaslight routine) in veg to a decreasing 11-13 cycle during flower may be a smoother transition between veg and flower. A lot of the journals I've read talk about the significant stretch that occurs after switching from traditional 18-6 to 12-12. It takes up to a couple weeks to see the flowering behavior that starts toward the end of the stretch.

Then again it could have just been the nature of my particular strain of WW not to stretch. This could be an interesting topic of conversation.

I'd be interested in hearing from any soil/organic growers of AK to compare my results to their own 60 days after sprout. My three ladies are about a foot tall (before being put under scrog) and about the same size across. Larger, smaller, about the same?

Thanks for any info you'd slide my way! :thumb:

I have grown dozens of AK47s from seed. They are 60/40 sativa dom and they double to triple in size the first 2-3 weeks in flower. I just use simple LST by tying them over when going to flower at 45 days veg and in 3.5gal pots. I think the fact that you topped them may cause a little less stretch.

Here's some pic of the last round I grew from seed and as you can see my #4 girl (keeper) at least tripled in size in the first 2 weeks. Although comparing our grow setup is like apples and oranges, I can only speak to the behaviour of the strain I have encountered. I use HPS light for flower. The CFLs placed close could prevent so much stretching too. Looks like you are about to answer that one for us.

pot-lst.JPG

start-flower.JPG

60 days from sprout:
girl4-11.JPG

I use ProMix soil with wormcastings and perlite added. Fox Farms nutes (Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom)

I have grown dozens of AK47s from seed. They are 60/40 sativa dom and they double to triple in size the first 2-3 weeks in flower.

The CFLs placed close could prevent so much stretching too. Looks like you are about to answer that one for us.

I use ProMix soil with wormcastings and perlite added. Fox Farms nutes (Grow Big, Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom)

It looks like we're on the same page nute-wise, though I use FFOF soil, skip the wormcastings and perlite additions, and add molasses every third watering at a rate of 1 Tablespoon per gallon.

I did notice something strange though when seeing your photos. I recall the 60/40 satvia dom. when I ordered the seeds. I figured they would be at the other end of the hybrid spectrum from the WW which is 60/40 indica dom.

Your photos got me scurrying around the internet looking at plant leaves. My ladies are sporting all the indications of an indica type leaf. Look at yours and mine together. Why would a sativa dominant strain put out leaves that look indica?

Has this happened to you before?

pot-lst.JPG

Veg_Day_54_5076.JPG

You can often get different phenos from the same strain. My #4 was the most sative dom looking. (Skinniest leaves, more stretch) and was the most potent of the bunch. It is almost too intense for me at times.

Environment can also effect the leaf size and character of the plants.

I have girl #5 that is more indica dom looking. (short fatter leaves with less stretch). It is very good smoke with a more comfortable high to me as I prefer a thick indica type high.

I hope you get one of the cherry pheno plants. I just got my second one out of 3 packs of beans this time. After a month cure in the jar this stuff smells like loud cherry cough-drops or lifesavers. Beautiful smoke that is like candy. :)

girl51.JPG

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom