Like A Virgin

Cybergod

420-magazine-mobile1575971614.jpg

OK! So the fact is I am a virgin when it comes to growing the magic herb.

Feel free to look my profile and intro up, saves me explaining it all again.

But to make sure where I am at:

Having decided to grow, I did some research, actually a lot of research. I wanted to know as much as possible first and not start one way, then have it all change.

My first stop was EBay. Purchase one grow tent kit, with 130W CFL (veg and flower lights provided). I also purchased a hydro kit there (I considered ebb and flow, but thought too much to go up the spitz). So having spent around $450, I read somewhere about LEDs. So I went and got one of them 45W.

420-magazine-mobile1276692348.jpg

420-magazine-mobile775651541.jpg

- - - I don't want to discuss/argue the pros or cons or get lectured on my choice of gear, I made my bed I will lay in it. If it needs improving, or I get some great advice (Mr Am4zin and Guage Steel), I listen, assess and act, Comes from my Army days.

So, with all that seeming to be on track, I sat the lot under the house for about 4 months. Call it nerves, but my brother came to visit and the lot was quickly relocated to the upstairs. Initially it was set up in the laundry, but then I had an epiphany, what if the cats piss on the tent? I don't want cat piss tasting weed!

Tent quickly and efficiently (tent is 800x800x1600mm, the doors frames are 800mm, but the doors cause a jam), doors removed, tent found new home, doors reattached.

Benefits were almost immediate. The tent temp rose from a piddling 20c just, to a more respectable 28c. Another bonus it is more accessible in the spare room, right next to my room, acccessible to my German Shepherd (subtle hint?) and no risk of stinky cat smells.

So, after some friendly seed donations, 4 jiffy pads were planted with 2 seed each. One was germinated using the saucer method the rest, just straight i the jiffy. Started 26/7.

The results? Two jiffy's gave two sprouts each. The other two yielded zip. The saucer took 3 extra days, but has sprouted and been very carefully moved (tap root down) into one of the jiffy's that had no winners. Current 8/8.

I will put up a couple more photos tomorrow, then when they get probably 3-4 pair of main leaves.

So, today the kids were separated into individual jiffy pads, makes sure the little buggers don't fight. This was done by my son who is helping me with the grow, his first time too .

Per the request, here are some better images of the kids, in their home.

So, this is the pot with 3. Two have come on up, the third is the one from the saucer, as you can see, a little ways behind.
420-magazine-mobile396892578.jpg
These are, Jimmy, Timmyyyy and Dwayne (Red Dwarf).

This is Neville and his friend, the Filthy Jew. Please, this is not an insult to anyone of the Jewish faith, it is a reference to South Park.
420-magazine-mobile1151924178.jpg

Finally, a better shot showing all 5 starting to grow. Yes, I am going to look for a suitable reflector for the CFL.
420-magazine-mobile1369583206.jpg

One thing that may interest, when we were initially setting it up, my brother dropped the small water pump that came with the system. It didn't work, oddly enough, so I simply took a pump and filter unit from my fish tank spares and it is working a treat. Additionally, the air pump supplied was mediocre to say the least. It replaced that with a double output air pump that provides 3 times what came in it. Also added a long 20cm air stone block.

Otherwise, all appears to be running fine, can't say all is running to plan, as I have not really got a plan and being my first time, it is a mix of the research, advice and just plain common sense.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

OK, sadly the post I wrote earlier and 'saved as a draft' has disappeared into the world of make believe. Oh well . . .

So what can I tell you today?

All the kids seem happy in their own beds. Those following will remember my son separated them yesterday and extremely gently put each seed into its own jiffy.

A quick look this morning and Neville (secretly my favourite at present and also the first to sprout) has started getting his second leaves.

420-magazine-mobile956794480.jpg

The three currently sharing a pot are doing nicely. One, I think Timmyyy, has also started getting his second set of leaves. Plus, and this is exciting, the saucer child, otherwise known as Dwayne, is a distinctly different colour, leading me to believe it is a different strain.

420-magazine-mobile1628504201.jpg

So, I thought it important to pass on what the exact setup is and what I am using. Seems the right thing too.

So let's start with the water system. A black 55L container, with a lid providing two holes that hold the baskets for the growing media.

This has a couple of holes, the larger allows the water hose to rise up, then be separated to share the water and nutrients between the two pots. This in turn goes to two 'water donuts' (that's what I'm calling them). These provide a really good stream of maintain the grow media at a good level of dampness. The jiffy pods are nicely damp, but not wet, which is exactly what I wanted.

All of this is fed by a fish tank water pump. The reason for this, for those new to this journal, is my brother dropped the little water pump that came with the kit. I quickly grabbed a spare water pump from my fish tank gear and it is working swimmingly (pardon the pun).

The second hole in the lid is for the air line to go in. Great, except I wasn't happy with the air pump that came so another trip to my fish tank gear and a larger, two port high volume air pump is recruited. I also snuck in a 20cm air stone I had sitting around. This setup provides excellent air through the solution.

The grow media is compressed clay balls. These were soaked for 8hrs, in 1/4 strength nutrients. I had read it was good as it impregnated the balls. Couldn't see any harm, so I did. I chose the clay balls simply because I see them as easier and cleaner to use. This is a personal choice, I have not tried other media (Rockwool, etc), but just saw clay balls suited me and my needs. So far they are doing their job, so I am happy.

One change I am considering is to get a second lid with 4 pots. I think that will be for grow #2, all going well.

Next post I will cover the lights, air and tent.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

Hey all,

So, today was a little concerning, I thought Neville and Timmyyy were not doing great. So, I got a mate and his missus to drop over and have a look. They have more experience than I.

420-magazine-mobile307138326.jpg

420-magazine-mobile68715504.jpg

So, my friends came over, ohh'd and ahh'd over the grow set up, they are more used to bush growing and make-do. But they have years of experience.

In under a minute, my friends wife turned and said, four off them are Purple Kush! YES YES YES ! ! !

We have no idea what the fifth brat, Timmyyy, is, but we can hope he is a girl. Yes, writing this stoned (probably naming the kids stoned too), leads to some confusion, but it does make sense.

Nutrient change tonight. Will start getting the TDS at start and end of each period (I am using weekly replacement of nutrients, if someone know betters, please feel free to share).

I am much more active in watching the Ph and such, now they have fully emerged and will start relying on the nutrients, rather than the energy from the seed. I have set Ph at 7, and used a water aged to remove the chlorines.

420-magazine-mobile1014883281.jpg

Using per directions, thought it best to keep it simple.

Have also changed the lighting schedule from 24hr to 20/4. This is on advice from my friends, to give the kids time to rest and absorb. Makes sense and works with what I have read.

For the observant, Yes, my son set up one of my security cameras in the tent . . .

Start TDS ~900ppm
PH 7 (our town water is 9.1 .
Tent is maintaining a great 22-25 degrees. Hanging out for temp and humidity tool to arrive.

Son is considering getting his own grow tent, so there might be another journal yet . . .

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

420-magazine-mobile1183843786.jpg

For those following, here is the view inside, from a CCTV security camera my son set up inside. 720p colour in light hours, IR during dark. One day I may stream it live, but not until I sort a good VPN or they make it legal here . . .

420-magazine-mobile1508233782.jpg

So, last night, we were talking and the subject came up about the kids sharing beds. I have been mulling this over for a week or so. Had a basic design in my head.

Today, a trip to a favourite shop, Hydro Store, and a few bit and pieces, and the obtaining of a new tub with lid.

Holes cut out with my poor mans Dremel (it is a Duratech and has served me well for around 10 years).

The addition of 5 new baskets, some plumbing, and there you go. Think I should have become a plumber.

420-magazine-mobile663370900.jpg

So there is the reason for this. All 5 are sending roots down, so it is time to move to the clay balls alone. But, I did not want a problem when it comes to sexing. If one or more is a boy (may Tenacious D protect us), I just have to remove the whole pot. No disturbing the others. At present, if I let them go, they will tangle roots and removal will be a problem.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

OK, so I finished putting the new improved watering system together, and even if I say so myself, it is pretty good.

420-magazine-mobile2039099454.jpg

Here is a better look at the roots striking out, hence the reason to separate the kids. Two were starting to fight, but their roots came undone without issue. Had I left them a day or two more, I suspect I would have harmed them.

420-magazine-mobile518171777.jpg

So now, it is running from a 150L/Hr water pump (upgraded from the 'thank fuck I had it 5V USB pump. As can be seen all 'jets' are directed so they are near the kids, but not shooting directly on them.

Now we will leave them alone until Sunday, nutrient change, and other than that nothing until we sex them.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

So, 3 days and the kids seem to have settled into their own beds nicely.

Even the little cripple, Dwayne, is striving ahead some.

420-magazine-mobile1319540241.jpg

So now it is simply a waiting game as our little beauties grow and hopefully prove to be female.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

Arrgghh !!!!! Woken this morning to my son telling me the water pump has stopped. Not how I wanted to wake up.

Took it out, had a mess around and nothing. Thank fuck I had another water pump in the fish tank gear.

Some dodgy plumbing later and the water flows again.

The clay balls were still damp, so I am hoping the pump had only stopped when the power went out for a couple to minutes. Sometime I hate this pay as you go power . . . And hopefully not much stress, if any, on the kids.

But crisis hopefully averted.

Note to self (and all other new growers) ALWAYS have a spare pump On hand. Thankfully, this time I did.

OK! Water and nutrient change complete. Yes, I know, it should have been done last night. Problem was, my back and knees are playing up.

So, the start total dissolved solids was 900ppm, a good stir and check of the waste water and it dropped to a remarkable 101ppm.

Start TDS today 930 ppm, water temp 17 degrees C

Water from tap today at 8.5 ph, dropped to 7.1. Also added the Water Ager. It removes chlorine and chlorides and the other heavy metals in water.

The kids are having sleep right now, so later this evening, I will grab an updated photo. But suffice to say, they are growing nicely.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

So, a nice update.

420-magazine-mobile187059219.jpg

As you can see, the kids are starting to grow and get above their water rings.

All seems to be going well, let's see how they go this week.

Puff Puff Pass -> -> ->

Howdy one and all. Well the kids have started their goosing phase and are really starting to get up in size.

Going back to a previous post and recommendation by another member (Mr Am4zin, I think), I headed to the local tip shop today.

Talk about having a good one. Two Metal Halide outdoor lights, simply wire up and away you go. 250W each! But, alas no . . . They would cost too much to run.

But the reflectors are ideal. A few cable ties, 5 minutes of thinking and I give you the REFLECTED light.

Won't come on until around 6pm, the kids are in bed right now ..

Will put up a shot showing the light then, but for now, here is a quick shot of the setup.

420-magazine-mobile586222389.jpg

Puff Pass Pass -> -> ->

Back
Top Bottom