Flytier's CKS Dwarf Low Flyer - Fall Of 2017 Indoor Grow

flytier

September 01, 2017
Day 1

OK, so I'm waiting for my outdoor plants to ripen and I now have nothing growing inside.I figured that if I don't get on the go with something soon I'd be regretting it, and I've been having a difficult time growing indoors to date so I decided to try something that was bred to grow in a small space - The Dwarf Low Flyer, from Crop King
Seeds. I purchased a five-pack of seeds at a store in town in July and kept them in the fridge until today.

They'e all planted in their final containers, plain old white buckets, maybe five or six litres or so, with holes in the bottoms. Hopefully that will suffice for Low Flyers. I have no plans to train them, but depending on how they grow I may have to do a little to keep them even. That doesn't count.

The soil I'm using is mostly a mix of different prepared soils from Walmart, but I'm also using some of my secret weapon: some fish compost from work at the salmon hatchery. I've grown weed now in soil mixes with and without it and the plants that are grown in the fish compost do significantly better.

Also in the soil I put in a sprinkle each (nothing like being accurate - measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe kind of thing) of nitrogen in the form of blood meal, phosphorus in the form of bone meal, potassium in the form of potash and calcium in the form of dolomite lime. I dug out a hole in the soil of each pot and filled them with plain soil with nothing added. This will give the seedlings time to get some size and strength to them before they get a strong taste of nutes.

I didn't use the paper towel method - just a bunch of unnecessary foolishness - but rather just stuck the dry seeds right into the damp soil which is what evolution selected them for. Works for me; it's how I get my best germination results. The results of that stage of it will be available within the week.

I have, I think, five strains of autos with different properties like size, THC:CBD ratio, flowering times, effect from taking it, and their intended uses.

DSCI1274a.jpg
DSCI1277a.jpg
DSCI1280a.jpg

I see now. I had the short riders and the low flyers you have recently purchased mixed up. Good call on the low flyers for inside. I've recently discovered that my hash plants are quite a compact little strain as well. So what kinds of proportions are you seriously using g for your amendments to your soils? Are the soils you're starting in already hot? Do you figure there is any leaching of your amended soil into your plain top soil before the plants Roots reach the good stuff? I'm gonna be watching this closely, cause I want to do a soil mix myself. So 5? Can't wait!

I see now. I had the short riders and the low flyers you have recently purchased mixed up. Good call on the low flyers for inside. I've recently discovered that my hash plants are quite a compact little strain as well. So what kinds of proportions are you seriously using g for your amendments to your soils? Are the soils you're starting in already hot? Do you figure there is any leaching of your amended soil into your plain top soil before the plants Roots reach the good stuff? I'm gonna be watching this closely, cause I want to do a soil mix myself. So 5? Can't wait!

I've been following your and Stank's discussion on soil. It's basically the same as I used with the outdoor plants. About 3/4 of the soil mix is just plain old Walmart stuff like cow and sheep manure composts, topsoil and stuff like that. But I'm pretty sure the secret ingredient is the salmon compost I bring home from work. It's high in nitrogen and phosphorus; I haven't done any tests on it, It's just the biology of fish. And this stuff, unlike what you get at Walmart, isn't sterilized with heat. It's has all the microbes and stuff all in place, so it is hot, just diluted with filler soil.

For additives I put in a pinch each of blood meal, bone meal and potash for the NPK and a bit of dolomite lime for the Ca. I didn't do much in the line of measurements, but as an estimate I'd say about 15-20g of each, give or take, in a gallon and a half bucket. I'm sure there'll be leaching of nutes into the plain soil, but where I'm using natural ingredients rather than chemical salts I'm hoping there won't be any problems like nute burn. I haven't had any issues with my WW and CBDreams, although what I did with those was use a layer of plain soil about the depth of the starter pots they came from.

I'm doing up the whole 5-pack, yup. I was considering doing them in different sized pots to see what I can get away with, but in the end I said frig that and gave them all some decent space. I'll check them later the morning and see if any more are up. Right now I need a coffee.

I totally get the desire to experiment, with a nice successful harvest under our belts, maybe more experimentation can occur with me lol. Right now I'm with you.....grow lots of weed, lol. Im subbed (of course), good luck my friend!

I totally get the desire to experiment, with a nice successful harvest under our belts, maybe more experimentation can occur with me lol. Right now I'm with you.....grow lots of weed, lol. Im subbed (of course), good luck my friend!

What's subbed? I've seen a few people use that term lately but I'm unfamiliar with it. But yeah, lots of weed. I think the summer crops are going to be my main ones of the year with some winter closet grows as a supplement. Next year should be a little more organized.

The hash plants are nice and compact, are they? I'll probably have some on the go next summer; it's my favorite strain so far, but who knows, I've only had experience with the tip of the iceberg.

Someone told the wife that I can use my MMJ card to make purchases at dispensaries. Interesting. Do you know enough about that to be able to verify it? She wants to go to Moncton on Friday and I guess there's a number of dispensaries up there. Christ, like a kid in Toys R Us, that would be. I know a few years ago down in Maine We went into the LL Bean Stores and I almost lost it. This should really do a job on me.

What's subbed? I've seen a few people use that term lately but I'm unfamiliar with it. But yeah, lots of weed. I think the summer crops are going to be my main ones of the year with some winter closet grows as a supplement. Next year should be a little more organized.

The hash plants are nice and compact, are they? I'll probably have some on the go next summer; it's my favorite strain so far, but who knows, I've only had experience with the tip of the iceberg.

Someone told the wife that I can use my MMJ card to make purchases at dispensaries. Interesting. Do you know enough about that to be able to verify it? She wants to go to Moncton on Friday and I guess there's a number of dispensaries up there. Christ, like a kid in Toys R Us, that would be. I know a few years ago down in Maine We went into the LL Bean Stores and I almost lost it. This should really do a job on me.
The "subbed" heading just means that I have subscribed to your grow and all updates will show as a notification on my phone. I'm REALLY interested in how a grow goes with little supplements, you're not using anything salt related....correct!?

Your MMJ card allows you to buy legally from your LPs. I'm 99% that it doesn't cover dispensaries as they're generally not recognized by Health Canada. That being said, nobody is more legitimate than us with our cards at this point in Canada, so why not try? Meaning we've likely been more rigorously screened than a Skype interview with a "doctor" in the lobby of the dispensary..I would buy from one, but I'd be weary about them recording my information. Just from a "for now" viewpoint. My doctor told me that when the dispensary got busted local to me, they paid a visit to a lot of people on the membership list......who needs that BS. Maybe ask while you're in town.....to clarify!?

Yeah my hash plants are only about 8" tall. I am doing LST, but those and my Alpha Dawg were all planted at the same time and my Alpha has stretched to over 2' already (LSTd too). Their info says .75m in mature height.

I'm dying to get a successful harvest, patience I have.....Weed I'm low on lol. My Short ryder that I rescued is about 7-10 days away from being harvested, then I have to cure it. Thinking about a mini fridge for the next space, for trying the fridge cure method.

I've never been to L.L.Bean, I imagine I would be exactly the same way lol. Bass Pro Shops is bad enough LMAO.

The "subbed" heading just means that I have subscribed to your grow and all updates will show as a notification on my phone. I'm REALLY interested in how a grow goes with little supplements, you're not using anything salt related....correct!?

Your MMJ card allows you to buy legally from your LPs. I'm 99% that it doesn't cover dispensaries as they're generally not recognized by Health Canada. That being said, nobody is more legitimate than us with our cards at this point in Canada, so why not try? Meaning we've likely been more rigorously screened than a Skype interview with a "doctor" in the lobby of the dispensary..I would buy from one, but I'd be weary about them recording my information. Just from a "for now" viewpoint. My doctor told me that when the dispensary got busted local to me, they paid a visit to a lot of people on the membership list......who needs that BS. Maybe ask while you're in town.....to clarify!?

Yeah my hash plants are only about 8" tall. I am doing LST, but those and my Alpha Dawg were all planted at the same time and my Alpha has stretched to over 2' already (LSTd too). Their info says .75m in mature height.

I'm dying to get a successful harvest, patience I have.....Weed I'm low on lol. My Short ryder that I rescued is about 7-10 days away from being harvested, then I have to cure it. Thinking about a mini fridge for the next space, for trying the fridge cure method.

I've never been to L.L.Bean, I imagine I would be exactly the same way lol. Bass Pro Shops is bad enough LMAO.

Oh, ok, I'm getting a couple followers then. That's going to give me a swelled head.

No salts yet. I have some Miracle-Gro that I've been known to use for a quick burst of food, but not very often. I'm not sure if potash is considered a salt or what, but it's a natural compound.

When I had the consultation for my card, I was told that they don't deal with dispensaries because of the illegalities of them, but if they are that shady, it should be pretty easy to make a purchase there with a valid card.

8" tall? Does it have much in the line of a sizeable bud on it? I'll be doing them outdoors next year so they should get some decent size to them. My WW and one of the CBDreams, both in 5-gallon buckets, are up to my neck now. With my limited indoor resources I'm pretty sure that a major outdoor harvest is the best way to go as a primary crop.

And LL Bean!!!!! Holy crap Guy, I didn't know what direction to turn my head! They have what they call a campus of stores in Freeport, ME. When we were there, there were four huge stores specializing in different areas: hunting and fishing, biking and boating, that kind of thing. Anyone into the outdoors would have the time of their life just looking around the stores. I could have used some weed when I was in there.

Same with me, I cannot see any issues with buying from a dispensary, it's just the aftereffects that I would be concerned about. What if the five-o shows up at your place and there's a neck tall plant sitting on your front porch LMAO.

Yeah 8 inches tall is about right, even that might be an over exaggeration. They are 18 inches in diameter though & must have 30 Tops on each. They have all only been in actual flower mode for about a week.....stretch is commencing

Same with me, I cannot see any issues with buying from a dispensary, it's just the aftereffects that I would be concerned about. What if the five-o shows up at your place and there's a neck tall plant sitting on your front porch LMAO.

Yeah 8 inches tall is about right, even that might be an over exaggeration. They are 18 inches in diameter though & must have 30 Tops on each. They have all only been in actual flower mode for about a week.....stretch is commencing

When I get to the city later the week I will give a dispensary a shot, if for no other reason than to check out the situation. It would be nice to be able to get something in a couple hours rather than a couple days if need be. Of course that will only be a concern until I get my own ready.

I think when I grow next year I'm going to do a lot more topping. I don't want them too tall again like this year. I have one CBDream that I managed to keep short and wide and that does seem like the way to go. I just wish they would hurry up and get some nice buds on them. I'm usually pretty patient, but when it comes to my weed the patience goes out the window.

So here's a visual update on the babies now. I've noticed a big difference from this morning. Three of them were just at the surface of the soil with the seed casings still on them. They're off to a good start.

In the first group shot the centre one in back has yet to come up.
DSCI1295a.jpg
DSCI1287a.jpg

This one is the farthest behind, but on the go. I could barely see it in the soil this morning.
DSCI1292a.jpg

These two are the average ones, I guess.
DSCI1291a.jpg
DSCI1289a.jpg

As you can see, I'm not using a high-grade specialty starter soil, or an unnecessary towel method, just the basics. Seems to be the best way to do it.

Nice to see them pop out :D Subbed to see them grow big :)
Yeah knock this one out of the park Fly so that when I come to the east coast fishing with you there's plenty to smoke LMAO.

Yeah knock this one out of the park Fly so that when I come to the east coast fishing with you there's plenty to smoke LMAO.

I'll see what I can do for you. The Bay of Fundy's not quite the east coast but it's close enough. What kind of fishing do you have in mind?

Well, when I got home from work wet, tired and aching all over from this low pressure system on the go here I checked in on my Low Flyers. We officially have 100% germination. Chalk one up for simplicity; you can't beat putting unsoaked seeds straight into the soil.

Back
Top Bottom