BirdNerd's Rookie Mistake Experiment Outdoor OG Kush

BirdNerd

First, I would just like to thank 420 Magazine for this amazing site and the community peeps for being such cool fellow grow brothers and sisters! I joined the community in July when I had experimented with a bag seed and ended up with a 1/2 lb yield and was hooked!!!

I am from a long line of farmers and have grown all sorts of vegetable, plant and flower crops from seed so have some good outdoor grow experience. The indoor grow experience is only getting the seeds going under lighting for several weeks only to acclimate to outdoors. Anyway, I live in a warm climate so quickly purchased seeds and thought I'd have time to have another batch. Well that was before you guys taught me about autos...

So, on September 1st I planted 2 little seedlings (OG KUSH) into 4" pots and put them outside a few days later. I was crushed when I realized I should have purchased an auto flower but am going for it anyway! I just checked and yesterday we had 12 hours and 20 minutes of daylight. The temp was 89 yesterday.

Type: OG Kush Sativa
This will be an outdoor grow.

I just replanted them this week and changed soil to Fox Farm Ocean Blend which is what I used on my bag seed grow.

I also planted them much deeper as the full moon had them stretching at night. It is so hot on my patio that I have buried the pots to try and keep the soil cool. I will slowly enlarge pots as roots allow.

This may be a complete waste of time as far as yield depending on weather, but am looking forward to the experience either way. I love to be growing something!

420-magazine-mobile726213685.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1741966058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile673738717.jpg

This is just a draft right now. I have to switch to my computer as iPad doesn't seem to work well to start a journal...I can't figure out how to save, sorry!

First, I would just like to thank 420 Magazine for this amazing site and the community peeps for being such cool fellow grow brothers and sisters! I joined the community in July when I had experimented with a bag seed and ended up with a 1/2 lb yield and was hooked!!!

I am from a long line of farmers and have grown all sorts of vegetable, plant and flower crops from seed so have some good outdoor grow experience. The indoor grow experience is only getting the seeds going under lighting for several weeks only to acclimate to outdoors. Anyway, I live in a warm climate so quickly purchased seeds and thought I'd have time to have another batch. Well that was before you guys taught me about autos...

So, on September 1st I planted 2 little seedlings (OG KUSH) into 4" pots and put them outside a few days later. I was crushed when I realized I should have purchased an auto flower but am going for it anyway! I just checked and yesterday we had 12 hours and 20 minutes of daylight. The temp was 89 yesterday.

Type: OG Kush Sativa
This will be an outdoor grow.

I just replanted them this week and changed soil to Fox Farm Ocean Blend which is what I used on my bag seed grow.

I also planted them much deeper as the full moon had them stretching at night. It is so hot on my patio that I have buried the pots to try and keep the soil cool. I will slowly enlarge pots as roots allow.

This may be a complete waste of time as far as yield depending on weather, but am looking forward to the experience either way. I love to be growing something!

These are from today...

420-magazine-mobile726213685.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1741966058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile673738717.jpg

420-magazine-mobile414948035.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1873665663.jpg

My Rookie Understanding... autos will flower after a certain period of time and the other type based on hours of light...I've been told mine will most likely start flowering immediately so may be much smaller that typical outdoor sativas. My last one was 7-8 foot but had a much longer veg stage... I guess time will tell!

My Rookie Understanding... autos will flower after a certain period of time and the other type based on hours of light...I've been told mine will most likely start flowering immediately so may be much smaller that typical outdoor sativas. My last one was 7-8 foot but had a much longer veg stage... I guess time will tell!

Yes auto flower is dna that is "programmed" to flower (mostly after 6 weeks I think) No matter What light scedule.

Normal seeds wil start to flower when they get 12 hours of dark and because the plants Will be outside and Its later in the season.. the lights Will become less already so it Could directly start to flower or Maybe grow a little first... Anyway I cant wait to see and I am subbed..

Sooo, yesterday I discovered that one of my babies stem broke right by the seedling leaves. I think I may have done it during replanting. I have brought her inside and am going to call her "Irma" I have brought her inside and put a bag over her. She is only gonna survive if she still roots at the break.
420-magazine-mobile848716666.jpg

The other I have named "Hattie" she is on her 3rd set of leaves. Weather has been warm and dry.
420-magazine-mobile1727158385.jpg

If Irma doesn't make it, will probably just pull the log and update later if I have any success...

.-.

Nice! Yeah, your ladies will start off flowering quickly outdoors. Depending where you are. I'm in the PNW and we will hit under 12 hrs of sun on the 26th.
Good thing is, you'll get a quick turnaround and harvest!!!

Glad the rookie mistake may work after all! I'm also thinking about a closet grow...not sure I can wait to plant again. Do you know if it is too late to start an auto in Zone 9 for outdoors Blaze?

Glad the rookie mistake may work after all! I'm also thinking about a closet grow...not sure I can wait to plant again. Do you know if it is too late to start an auto in Zone 9 for outdoors Blaze?
If you're thinking of a closet grow autos would work well in there until you can get photos ready for spring

I just checked and our typical first frost is around Christmas... we are south and protected. I will have these in pots and can put in shed if needed...is that for the babies I have right now, or if I tried to squeeze in an auto outside? Thank you so much for the help... I am thinking my first bag seed experiment must have been an auto as it started blooming at summer solstice... .-..

I just checked and our typical first frost is around Christmas... we are south and protected. I will have these in pots and can put in shed if needed...is that for the babies I have right now, or if I tried to squeeze in an auto outside? Thank you so much for the help... I am thinking my first bag seed experiment must have been an auto as it started blooming at summer solstice... .-..
I'd look up exactly when you go below 12hrs of sunlight. Your little OG will prolly veg until then (hopefully) and then you will get a full bloom. They'll be smaller but should be decent regardless.
As for autoflower. If you get one popped soon you can, but they really enjoy more light, so it might be good to just focus on your photo plants!

I'd look up exactly when you go below 12hrs of sunlight. Your little OG will prolly veg until then (hopefully) and then you will get a full bloom. They'll be smaller but should be decent regardless.
As for autoflower. If you get one popped soon you can, but they really enjoy more light, so it might be good to just focus on your photo plants!

Sweet! Appreciate that. I have some indica seeds and put 3 water earlier just incase. I have a lot of extra time, supplies and great weather so not much to lose... i will see if I can find out anything more about them. I'm a flower and veggie girl so a total novice here. I figure I'll learn something either way and prepare something for next year indoor and/or out ... I have been bit by that grow big... .-.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom