A week to week look at the life of 3 Dieselryders

Jimbo

Ok, here's where we stand. These 3 Dieselryders are 17 days old as of today. I have them in #8 pots grown in a soil/composted cow manure. I have 500w's of HPS, 7=42w CFL's, 4=15w T8 high UV output Fluorescent grow lamps & 3=LED panels with plans on adding the 4th (when I'm finished using it on clones) I am using Biobizz; Grow, Bloom & Top Max. My grow room is an unfinished basement bathroom with not the best exhaust system but I am able to leave the door open and keep fans going as for good air circulation. Proper extraction systems are just too damn expensive and for a "PO-BOY" I'm just lucky to afford the beans & lights & all the other stuff to grow with (some of you understand what that's like) So...These 3 Dieselryders have been very impressive so far and have grown with extreme vigor & like I said before, they are only 17 days old and are already in the pre-flowering stage. I am kinda' starting to get worried that I may have 3 males but, it's still kinda' early to tell 100%...I will know for certain within the next couple of days. No matter, I will still grow them to full term as to collect the pollen for seeding my next batch of Dieselryders in which I still have 4 beans...cool? so enough said, here are my pics!!! enjoy!!!

7 days old and 1st feeding

tmpphpurFZ1A.jpg

next day after a good feeding

DR_MAD_lights_1.jpg

MAD LIGHTING!!!

DR_MAD_lights_4.jpg

DR_MAD_lights_3.jpg

DR_MAD_lights_2jpg.jpg

My homemade 500w HPS lights are hanging above these for some serious lumen's

JE:peace:

Re: "A week to week look at the life of 3 Dieselryders"

Ok...were on our 3rd week and as you can see they are all 3 confirmed males. I will be letting these go on living as I want to collect the pollen for breeding and because I am doing this thread on them. I will however keep these outside from here out because I have now started the last 4 Dieselryder beans of which 1 looks like it's not going to make it and the other 3 have sprouted up nicely. I will start getting pic's of them next Friday as to incorporate them into this thread. I was so hoping to get at least one fem out of these but if one or all of those little ones turns fem at least I will have plenty of man powder to use, so all will not be lost. Now all I need to do is figure out the best way to collect the pollen. I thought about placing them inside of clean5gal buckets and just collecting it after they die or can I just clip off the bananas and put them in a medicine bottle? Need a little advice on that one.

DR_week_3_4.jpg

DR_week_3_3.jpg

DR_week_3_2.jpg

DR_week_3_1.jpg

JE:peace:

Sorry we've been busy. 3 beans and 3 males? Better make lemonade. (You know - when life gives you lemons....) Yeah' well. Check out Smokin Moose's post on pollination:
Pollination

ok...after reading smokin moose's thread on pollen I may just decide to pick out the best most hearty one of these males and chop the rest to make hash. I only need the strongest one to collect from anyway, right? Damn that sucks...I wanted so bad to do a cool piece on at least one female that was hopefully full of beans by the end of this thread...Oh, well maybe these next ones will deliver? I'm going to try out those Fast Blasts from Afropips next...ready in 40-50days on 12/12 the whole way through. I have some more LR#2's coming in next week as well. I just love getting that E-mail that says; "you have incoming":yummy:

I don't think you will get much hash from your chopped males. Hash is made from harvested trichomes, and the young males are unlikely to have many, if any lol.
Those Afopips beans sound interesting.

Damn, it's good to here from you Moose, how ya been M8? What should I do with these males? I'm thinking on picking the best looking one to keep for pollen and pulling the other two, or should I keep them all for pollen collection? I expect they will start dropping their pollen by the end of this week or sooner. I read your thread on pollen and I'm still not sure how exactly how I'm going to go about it. They have good clumps of bananas so I'm thinking on collecting them by clipping them off when they start dropping their load and saving them in a med bottle? Is that right? I will go in and read your thread again as to study it further. About those Fast Blast beans, I'm not sure what kind of environment they like as far as pot size & depth, nutes, vegg cycle, you know...all the standard Q's. I E-mailed Afropips to try and get the skinny on them. If they will respond or not remains to be seen. Glad your back, Moose, L8R-m8

I go with one male. I watch it closely, and when the male flower opens up, and the 4 pollen sacs dangle, usually in the morning, I tickle the pollen sacs with a Q-tip. This ruptures the pollen sac and the pollen falls out. Same thing happens when a girl tickles your nuts lol. I collect it in a small plastic container. You must wait until these sacs open up and rupture or you will get no usable pollen. This means don't cut the 'bananas' off. Some folks put a collar around the male and collect it that way. I find I can harvest all the pollen I need using cotton buds. I then store them in a dry airtight container. Then I mulch the males, or feed them to the chickens.

Of the 30 lowryders 1&2 that I have grown, I had 40% female.

Thanks guys...Moose, Can I keep it in the fridge? And, how long will it keep?

HF, That's a little below average isn't it? only 40%, wow...maybe we need to go with those LR#2 fem beans? I had 3 out of 3 females on my 1st LR#2 grow so I guess I was lucky, huh?

Kept dry and cold, it could stay viable for years. Cannabis pollen is not the most robust of pollens, but with care...
Thanks guys...Moose, Can I keep it in the fridge? And, how long will it keep?

HF, That's a little below average isn't it? only 40%, wow...maybe we need to go with those LR#2 fem beans? I had 3 out of 3 females on my 1st LR#2 grow so I guess I was lucky, huh?

Dry and cold are something I have no problem with Moose. I have a spare fridge that I keep cold beer and 420 stuff in, right beside the grow room...sweet set up if I don't say so my self.lol...Freezer or fridge, Moose? I can do either. I have plenty of film canisters too, for collecting. What I'm having trouble with is deciding which one of my males to keep from the 3 as they are all as healthy as little Mooses,lol. What are some traits that you look for in deciding which male to keep? I could get a pic of the 3 for y'all to look at if you think it would help me in deciding the best one to keep. Maybe I'll do a pole with a pic of each to help with deciding.

Fridge is better than freezer. Film cannisters work well. Pick the healthiest, fastest flowering male for your breeding.

Thats just the thing...all of them have about the same vigor as far as health and fast growing goes. would it even be worth keeping and collecting from all 3? keeping the pollen separated in different containers of coarse, as to have an even fatter supply of pollen for future grows? Especially since they are all almost identical in their vigor? Thats why I'm having a hard time in choosing between these 3. I guess I could just look for the one thats starts spitting out pollen first and just scrap the other 2...Hmmm...Decisions...decisions :loopy: I tell you what I'll do,...Tomorrow I will take pics of all 3 to show you what I'm dealing with before giving any of them the chop, ok? I tell ya...they sure have stretched out since I put them outside, for some reason.

I've been thinkin'...lol, "oh shit"...he's thinkin' again,lol...but, it would seem that; more collected pollen=more chances of breeding=more beans, right? so why not keep them all as potential breeders? I can't think of a reason not to just name them as 1-2-& 3 and label the collection containers the same way and even get a pic of them with their numbers as to have a reference point. The only thing, is that they all seem to have the same growth rate with not much distinguishable variations, so I'm kinda wondering why I wouldn't want to put the pollen from all three in the same container? It seems that any of these would make a good donor for some killer Dieselryder beans. Btw...changing the subject, I got 4=AK47's & 3=Hawaii Maui Waui's started yesterday for some summer time, green house fun. So I'll be doing some more grow journal's on them if and when I see a female or two. I would be happy with a breeding pair of either one of those. And from what I've read about HMW, they are really for skilled growers, so it will be a good test of my growing abilities...Of coarse, I will be picking the shit out of all of your brains the whole way through, I'm sure,lol . I have heard about Maui Waui my whole life, but I've never had a chance to smoke any, so this ought to be a real treat if I can pull it off with a couple of good budding fem's. If I know you Moose, I'm sure you've grown them before so, any advice would be most welcome.

I am just harvesting some beans from the LR2 I have had jarred. I am getting around 6 beans per bud. If you do them all, your harvest of beans will be tremendous and your harvest of cannabis will be greatly disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom