Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First grow ever. 5gal DWC

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First grow ever. 5gal DWC

Quote Originally Posted by HeadMed View Post
    Any calibration solution should work. Also have I mentioned that I suggest removing those dying leaves.. :-)
    yes you did I'm sorry i never acknowledged you. Even if you are right I am hesitant to do so just because its like my baby haha. But I will remove them soon. thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

No rush dude.. not being pushy, just trying to be funny.. (failing miserably). You have good healthy new growth. Those old dying things aren't helping anymore in fact they could be costing the plant energy. Compare the damaged surface area of the leaf to the healthy. When it it hits 50/50 it's a wash. When it passes 50/50 the sick leaves can actually tax the plant. Dying leaves are also a weak spot... susceptible to disease etc. and must be maintained by the plant. At best it hardens around the damaged areas (think scar) and lets it die. At worst poisons leech into the system.

Now think of the surface area of a small stem ... say at the bottom of the leaf that must be sealed of after it's been clipped. It's a lot smaller, and easier for the plant to deal with.

It's could to be cautious when cutting on yer plants though. Only do what yer comfortable doing.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

an update. not looking so hot:

Fallen Cannabis Warrior Medical Marijuana's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Foliar spray with fish emulsion and sea tea quickly!

Post Thanks / Like

^ truth. What is the nutrient solution your running...

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeadMed View Post
    ^ truth. What is the nutrient solution your running...
    pure blend pro: grow

By foliar spray with fish emulsion, could that be bought at any garden store? I know fish emulsion can be. Do I just dilute that and put it in a spray bottle?
    Is the sea tea also available at garden stores?

I'm sorry these are questions that could be found out by going to the store but I'm just short for time

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sea tea and fish emulsion can be sourced from any good garden centre.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok. got the fish emulsion. there are a few categories with different amounts for each:
    annuals, perrenials, root vegetables, shrubs, flowering indoor plants, trees, and large indoor plants.

any ideas on what strength to use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use the dilution for annuals when I foliar spray, and the one for shrubs when I add to the medium with my water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like algae in the rockwool. Check your roots too. May consider clipping the first 1/2 of those leaves off. You have to set the ppm and pH, that's a serious issue. Sorry if I didn't read it, but is your res temp in range? 68-72?

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok here's how she looked this morning:

made a batch of foliar feed. full strength was 1200 ppm so I cut it down to 450 ppm. sprayed it on at 4 pm.

here's how they look now:

The new growth always is great but after about 2 days they look like the previous leaves. That has happened to all of them.
    no green stuff on the rockwool that I can see.

the relative humidity is pretty much always at 70
    temp of the water is 78 degrees F.
    How should I fix the issue of the water temperature? I was thinking of the frozen bottle of water method but, what do I do, just have a frozen bottle bobbing around in it. wouldn't that freeze the roots?

thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

cut the leaves

Colors are good, except on the old bad leaves. If it was mine, I;d chalk it up to an ass load of water. Keep an eye on the standards... PH, nutes, and temps. Look for bugs and all that. But I think you will see drastic improvement as the plant gets bigger and gets to put some of that water to use.

I say this because I;m lazy and start my plants in both ebb and flow, and in my drip buckets, with the same feeding schedule they will finish with. This means small plants get way more than they need, and they often look like this. In my experience (As long as I don't let em drown) the plant kinda grows up into it's environment.

That being said. If you don't want to wait... you can try lowering the water level a bit. Just reduce the amount of water available... don't cut it off. It should be dark and wet enough to protect the roots.

420 Member
    Post Thanks / Like

update:

ph is 6.02
    air temp 77
    water temp 78 (not sure how to but this must be brought down)
    humidity at 68%
    foliar fed yesterday with fish emulsion at 400 ppm
    the tds meter reads the water as 150. it may be not calibrated correctly. going to change out the water tomorrow

any one know how often I should foliar feed?
    (also dont worry headmed i'll probably cut the bad leaf parts off soon)

Post Thanks / Like

ph ain't crazy
    air temp is good

humidity ain't bad
    The tds meter read the guaranteed ph of the calibration fluid right?

Idea's for cooling reservoir:

Tethering frozen bottle of water to the bottom of the reservoir.

Get a water cooler (like a radiator) and run it.

Place your 5 gal reservoir in an cool water bath. (mix in some ice to cool faster). Leave it in a large body of water to help maintain temperature.

Go to LOWES or ACE or wherever and by a WHITE 5gal bucket (home depot tends to sell orange), so you don't have to use all that tape. Flat white is more reflective than that stuff. Not knocking you or your tape. I just use that stuff on the job. It's designed to work in warm temps and to seal, not really to be reflective... just blend more with the materials it commonly used on.

Also... where are the air pumps located. They are pumping whatever the air temp in the room is directly into the reservoir! Get them shaded, and cool.

If you could cool the air before it's pumped in... you could also cool the reservoir. Like you could put them in an ice chest (above water line of course, and with the lid open enough to run your lines put) with a melting bag or two of store bought ice. Air temp in the cooler would probably drop into the low 40's high 30's. Then pumping that air through the water should cool it down.

I don't know. I'm medicated and thinking of ways to do it... some of them could be crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to be patient. It's only been 4 days since you first posted pics. If new growth is healthy, and your fert levels are ok, your plant will continue healthy growth. It will take 3 to 5 days to really tell ok. Leaves curl down after watering/foliar spraying, but return to normal after a while. You do not want to go from a deficiency to an overload. Be patient.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast