My first journal.Hindu Kush

hog-dog

Well, I wasn't going to do a grow journal because this is basically my first serious grow, but I am really going to try and do it right and figured the experts here might be able to guide me along a bit too. I have read alot here and gained a ton of info so I am feeling pretty confident that this will turn out well. I am a little behind with this journal but I'll try to catch up quick. This is going to be basically an outdoor grow but I am planning on flowering half of my plants inside and letting the other half finish naturally outside.

I got these clones that were cut on May 5 and started in cubes. They rooted in the cubes for 7-10 days and then put into 4" pots with a soil/perlite 50/50 mixture. I have been using Fox Farms nutes per their recommendations. I had them inside under 48" fl. grow tubes for about 2 weeks and then started putting them outside during the daylight hours. At night I would bring them back in under the flouro's so they were on a 24/0 schedule. At about 4 weeks old I repotted into 8" pots and started leaving them outside 24/7. The last 4 days before I repotted into the 8" pots, I really noticed the growth jump big-time each day so I figured the roots must have really caught up. When I did repot, they had alot of roots swirling around the outside. After repotting, there was no shock period or anything and they have been growing well ever since. My only mistake so far, or the only one I know of, was that I accidentally bought hydroponic grow nutes which are 3-2-6 I believe instead of the regular 6-4-4. Last week I started noticing some of the bottom leaves were yellowing a tad. This really suprised me because I thought as long as I was using Fox Farms per their schedule I would be okay. I started digging into the problem solver here and it looked liked a Nitrogen problem. So after scratching my head and checking the Fox Farms site again I noticed their schedule had 6-4-4 under only the grow nutes. I checked mine and felt like a total dumb-ass, but thanks to this wonderful site, I fixed the problem. I went and got some fish emulsion and some Fox Farms 6-4-4 and things are looking good again although I probably cost myself some serious growth by not having enough Nitrogen before.

I was told these are Hindu Kush but 2 of the plants look different than the rest so things are a little bit unknown. The 2 that look different are shorter but much bushier and they, for the most part, only have 3 fingers on each leaf. They are really good looking plants though, imo. Anyway, here's the start about 10 days old. Thanks for looking!

ww911.jpg

Re: My first journal...Hindu Kush

Here was the yellowing that started on a few of the plants. I am not having the problem at all anymore so I figure it must have been the Nitrogen unless someone here thinks differently.

pics_0032.jpg

Looking good there Hog...They look nice and healthy and I think you were right and have solved the problem... Good luck on your grow...:peace:

I am still having some problems uploading pics now. They upload but then I get shut down when I hit the process button. The plants are doing great though. I can't believe the amount of growth today. They definately liked the Nitrogen dose I gave them a few days ago. I do have a question though. Since I have the right Fox Farms veg nutes now, should I give them another dose of the fish ferts 5-1-1 on top of the Fox Farms next time I fertilize since they were lacking before or are they all caught up? They look really happy to me....I wish I could get the pics figured out.

I have my plants close to the house and leave my dog outside, much to her dismay, to ward off any wildlife that might want to come and munch them. We have a lot of deer, racoons, squirrels, and just about any other critter you can think of, running around here. So I get up this morning and notice an empty spot on the table and no dog to be found. I then remembered that yesterday afternoon I gave them a dose of fish emulsion and I find my pooch sulking on the side of the house smelling like a 30 day old salmon carcass. I was pretty mad but mostly at myself for making such a dumb mistake. There was no recovery for the plant. I guess now I have to dog proof them too. I'm going tomorrow to get bigger pots and fencing materials so I can barracade them in. It would be so nice to not have to worry about critters getting them and now even my own dog has turned against me. We made up though, she's a really good dog.
I didn't want to overdo the ferts so after giving the plants a feeding of the fish emulsion last week, I didn't give it again. I started noticing that little bit of yellowing again on some of the lower leaves yesterday so I gave them the fish emulsion again and it worked. They are really using up the Nitrogen obviously but I am keeping a close eye on them and they are really growing good. I noticed the roots are already to the outside of the pots and I just transplanted them a couple of weeks ago. I guess that's a good thing. I am having to water them daily now. The're growing fast and the temps have been in the low 90's. I need bigger pots and to plant some of them in the ground.
:smokin:

Boss, do you think I should be feeding less than the recommended amount or just watch them close when I do feed? I know I was giving them the wrong solution to begin with and they got Nitrogen deprived. Do I need to keep giving them a boost of extra Nitrogen with the fish emulsion for the next few weeks to help them catch up or do you think they'll be fine now just using the Fox Farms as recommended? Thanks for keeping an eye on me.

Well things have been running decently smooth lately. I did end up having to give them another dose of fish emulsion to help them catch up on the Nitrogen. I noticed a tinge of yellow starting on the lower leaves on a couple of plants right after my last post but since then everything has been looking good and I have only been giving them the Fox Farms. I transplanted them about 5 days ago now and never had any signs of shock or distress. All of my transplantings from the very beginning went smooth and the plants always loved their new homes. I was a little worried about this part so I was happy I never had problems there. They were only in the 8 inch pots, up from the 4 inchers, for a few weeks and they already had roots swirling the outside of the pots. These new pots are just over 13 gallon containers and will be their final home like it or not. lol. I decided not to put them directly in the ground because I am planning on flowering some in a week or two inside, and the others I just want to have mobile in case I start having bug, deer, or other critter problems. I also felt like I could move them to a cooler area if the weather got to hot, which is the one hurdle I have had to deal with. I was having to water them daily in the 8 inch pots because the temps were in the high 80's to low 90's. My soil mix has had 40-50% perlite because I wanted to make sure I didn't have drainage issues. They seem to be really happy with it but next time I might cut down on the perlite a tad so I might not have to water quite so much. I figured once I went to these large containers I would only have to water once or twice per week but the temps jumped up to the high 90's and low 100's the day I transplanted and I have still had to water every day. The plants wouldn't fully wilt but the tops would lean over on a 45 degree angle and they just didn't look totally happy. I was worried about overwatering so I only gave one a shot of water even though the soil still had moisture in it. It immediately popped back up so I did the same to everybody and have had to do so every day last week. The temps dropped back to the low 90's yesterday but I am still going to water them everyday. With the soil mixture I have I think overwatering is an impossibility. It is amazing how fast they take up water. When they were slightly wilted, I would give them water and literally watch the tops straiten back up within seconds. I wish I had video of it. I have also been wrestling with the idea of pruning. This strain seems really thick and the leaves inside were all small and not getting any light. So I went crazy with the pruning shears and cut all of that out along with most of the lower branches that didn't look like they would get enough light. They still look pretty thick after I was done but after watching them the last couple of days, I think I made a good choice. Thay are all about 16 inches tall, for the most part. Well, enough of my babbling and on to some pics. Thanks for looking.
4_003.jpg

4_002.jpg

4_001.jpg

plant_3_004.jpg

The soil I ended up using I got from Lowe's. It is Kellog brand- all natural garden soil. Listed ingredients are-- Composted forest humus, compost, composted chicken manure, worm castings, kelp meal, and bat guano. with oyster and dolomite limes (Ph adjusters) It was only like $7-$8 for a 3 cubic ft. bag. The plants seem to like it just fine too.

Those babies are looking great! So much potential!

Do you think I'll have a better yeild if I wait a couple of weeks to flower or should I take them inside and flower now? I know they'll stretch quite a bit when I flower and I don't want to waste time letting them get too big and not be worth while with the extra veg time. Any suggestions appreciated.

High hogdog...

Is this grow still alive?
If so, please update us with some pictures and info...

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates…

Thanks and hope all is well in your world brother!...;)

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

WOW!!!!!! those plants r so lush & green!! wish i could do that, i live in the city,nothin but streets&sidewalks & busybody neighbors lookin over their fences into our 7x7 ft back yards. did i mention ur plants r awesome? excellent job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, i hate the city. if i lived in the country,i'd be a happy man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom