Refers Random Bagseed-First Grow Ever-2009

Refers

High Everybody!

This is my first grow so I thought I would share it with all of you out there. I was given 4 starter plants that were only a few days old from a good friend. They were streched out about 4 inches and only had the first 2 little leaves on them. So, I went out and got 2 23w=100w soft white cfls and a spliter so I only needed to use one light socket. I also "installed" one of those aluminum foil baking pans as a reflector above the lights. I don't have much money so for now they are in a large box that is big enough to keep them in for a few more weeks. Also, the box is pretty much sealed except for a small hole in the front where I have a small 6" fan blowing into the box. I have had them for about 2 weeks now and they are showing lots of progress. I took them out of the dixie cups they were in and transplanted them into 4 5"w x5"w x 5"h plastic pots. The soil I am using is MG potting mix with the 3 month nute release. I know this is not the best but its all I could get at the time. Also I plan on getting the Fox Farms nute 3 pack later on down the road. I will have pictures up as soon as I find the cable to connect my camera to my computer. If anyone has any advice I would be more than happy to hear it. Thanks

DAY 14

Alright I got a way to put up pictures! They are from my phone so not the best quality. This picture is just to show the box they are in. The reflector is a aluminum foil baking pan and the light is a desk lamp with a spliter and 2 100w cfl soft white bulbs. And on the right side of the picture is a clock with a thermometer and hydrometer. I don't know how accurate it is.
0604091601.jpg

DAY 14

Alright so thats all the pictures I got for now. If anyone has any helpfull information for me I would be more than happy to hear it. I can use all the help I can get. Right now my main question is about the leaves curling up at the edges. The box temp seems to stay around 85 F and the humidity is staying around 60-65% But again, I don't know how accurate my therm/hydro clock is. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice. And more and better quality pictures coming soon...

Nice for first :rollit:

How often do You water?
How Dry Do you let them get before watering is the soil still wet?

You will need to up the size of your pots .. when you do, try to get
Foxfarm or Happy Frog.. if not .. mix in some perilite and peat moss
to help with drainage. I stay far away from MG.

keep it up!

Thanks JustAddWateR. Figures that the first question you ask is about my watering habbits... And thanks for your concern. I have been watering about every 2-3 days depending on how dry the soil is. I don't let the soil get bone dry, but I wait untill the top inch or so is almost all dry. Also, I don't think I'm getting good drainage. I pour a good amount of water in and don't see it coming out of the bottom. hmmm... And i figured as soon as I make their next grow space I will increase the pot size. Most likely move up to 3-5 gallon pots. Just so I don't have to transplant again. And I'm looking into ordering FF soil for the finial transplant. Along with FF 3pk nutes.

Thanks for the info turfman50. I do plan on getting more cfls when I move them into a bigger space. which I hope to do with in the next 2 weeks. And when you say heat blanket in the camping section are you talking about those thin silver reflective ones?

they look to be about 2-2.5 weeks old?
get them into some other soil. They aint liking it. and overwatering will double hurt them because the MG will release even more nutes, IMO

You were right about the age. They are 2 weeks old today. Now do you think they would be ok if I left them in that soil for 2 more weeks untill I get better soil and transplant them into bigger pots? And I was wondering, is there something in the pictures that makes you think they are not liking the MG? The pictures are of bad quality and don't show the real colors and what not of the plants. they are all a nice even green right now. The pics make them look yellow. Thanks for any and all advice.

OK..

My 2 cents..

Like pit said try real hard to get some different soil. MG ios a difficult soil to begin with. You could probably get away with it if you had more experience and could read you plants and compensate accordingly. But for now look for a local hydro shop you can visit and pick up some fox farm ocean forest. Well worth it IMO. I use it.

Next def. swap out the soft white lights for cool blue or 6500K color as mentioned earlier in the journal. You are not in a good usable spectrum for veg growth.

Do you have a pH meter to adjust your water and nutes?

Look into Milwaukee pH600. about 20 bucks. Worth every penny, trust me.

pH is one of the single most important factors in your growing, people who over look it, usually fail. Stay away from the analogue POS's and soil test strip kits, all junk.

You are going to need good nutrients soon and I suggest you look into some while at the hydro shop for that soil ;) Fox Farms Grow Big, Fox Farms Tiger Bloom and Cal-mag+, pH UP and pH Down should be on your shopping list. There are plenty of choices but these are good for beginners and experts. I get great results with these, so I recommend them.

Thanks McBudz.
You seem to really know your stuff. I will pretty much try to get everything you have listed. There are a few hydro shops around the area so it shouldent be to hard to get those supplies. I also found the Milwaukee pH600 on amazon for about 25$. And actually I found everything else you listed there as well. So if the hydro shops don't have what I need at least I know where I can get them from. Thanks for all the great info and I'll keep you guys posted with my progress.

Back
Top Bottom