Aeroponic Cloner question

HollanderCA

Hey everyone I just purchased a Turbo Clone machine...and had a quick question after you get your cuttings to pop roots..after 7-10 days if you wanna throw em in a rockwool cube or oasis cube do you jus stick your clone in with the roots...and let em find there way out thru the botttom? look for some hel phere thanks Hollander

Hey everyone I just purchased a Turbo Clone machine...and had a quick question after you get your cuttings to pop roots..after 7-10 days if you wanna throw em in a rockwool cube or oasis cube do you jus stick your clone in with the roots...and let em find there way out thru the botttom? look for some hel phere thanks Hollander
yin

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Are you growing in a flood system? If your clones now have roots, why do you want to put them in rockwool cubes? Why don't you plant them straight to the system you're growing in?

I never trim the roots, I leave them in the aero cloner until there is a decent amount of roots, generally 3-4" long, and then i plant directly into soil. They take about 2 days to settle in, then new growth takes off

Trimming roots would be bad! The purpose of an aero cloner is so you don't have to use rockwool or oasis cubes etc. Once they are rooted they go right in the soil or whatever other medium you are using.

Hi Hollander. I also provide patients with clones and have tried a lot of different things including aero. Most answers we get with these types of questions are to just clone in whatever style you're going to grow in, but in our case that doesn't apply because we need to transport them and rockwool is by far the preferred medium in my experience for my patients.

I recently built a few aero cloners out of big tote boxes and got 50 sites on each box. They sure root faster than rockwool under domes.

When the roots were a couple inches long, I took them out and place them gently into rockwool. I tried two methods of cutting the rockwool. 1) I sliced them completely in half, set the roots in, and put a rubberband around the square. 2) I only made a half slice, gently pried it open and placed the roots in, and again, put a rubberband around the cube.

Both methods worked. Not sure which one I like best yet.

The problem is having to wait for new roots to shoot thru the rockwool to hold the whole thing together so you can take the rubberband off. I made the mistake of delivering a set of clones to a medical patient with the rubberbands on and not waiting for new root development. I've delivered hundreds and hundreds of clones and that was the only complaint I've ever had. Never again.

They do indeed root faster in aero setups, but add to that the several days wait for new root development and I'm not so sure it beats plain ole rockwool slabs under domes.

I'm toying with a bubble cloner setup right now. A buddy of mine bought a turnkey grow cabinet (way overpriced) which has a flower station above and a clone station below. His clone station (16 sites) uses air bubbles that break just under the 2" net pots. Inside the net pots is a 1.5" rockwool cube. He boasts 100% success, but then again, unlike you and I, he's not turning out hundreds.

I setup several 5 gallon buckets, cut 14 2" holes in each bucket top, popped in 2" net cups and a 1.5" rockwool cube. He claims to get roots shooting thru in 10 days max. If that's true, my medical patients will be super happy. I'm skeptical though. The cubes seem to be getting too wet. Remind me in a week or so and I'll tell you how this experiment went.

If anyone can comment on the bubble cloner as setup above, I'd appreciate it. The faster people like me and Hollander can get roots to pop out of rockwool the better.

:peacetwo:

your setup is very similar to mine. Here are some pics of it. It's pretty self explanatory. I don't use rockwool, but instead just slide the cutting in the neoprene pucks. There is enough hold to securely hold the cutting. Once it roots, which takes 10 days max, they're very easy to remove from the puck and then plant carefully in soil. I've done about 25 clones so far with it and had 100% success.

IMG_22262.JPG

IMG_22254.JPG

IMG_22235.JPG

your setup is very similar to mine. Here are some pics of it. It's pretty self explanatory. I don't use rockwool, but instead just slide the cutting in the neoprene pucks. There is enough hold to securely hold the cutting. Once it roots, which takes 10 days max, they're very easy to remove from the puck and then plant carefully in soil. I've done about 25 clones so far with it and had 100% success.

IMG_22262.JPG

IMG_22254.JPG

IMG_22235.JPG
Hey Crimson,

Where did you get the different colored neoprene pucks? That would be nice for designating different strains, I just don't remember ever seeing them in anything other than dark gray!

at the local hydro store, its an HTG shop and they had like 4 different color discs and they were all the same price. It is amazing for keeping track of which strains are what. The pic there has SLH in black and wonder woman in pink

As soon as they grow roots 2-4 inches I put them in a Dixie Cup with 50/50 LIGHT WARRIOR and Fox Farm Happy Frog. Never met a transplant that didn't love the stuff. a seed heating mat and a spray bottle really help keep your "newborn" clones from going through too much shock. The Dixie Cups are easy enough for me to transport. I don't see how it would be possible or practical to try to stick a rooted clone into an Oasis root cube or a Rockwool Cube. However, maybe you could grind some up with an egg beater and rap the rockwool around the roots like play-doe?

I usually drop mine in plain happy frog and they love it. It takes them about 2 days to get adjusted and anchor itself, then it starts growing like crazy. I'm sure the light warrior is good to break it up, happy is kind of rich.

Back
Top Bottom