Filters

dazedel8

Just had a bit of an algae problem which plugged my nozzles (probably because my res was too high). Kinda made me think about getting a filter, im just wondering if this is a good idea between the pump and the manifold? Will it filter out nutrients ? Does anybody else recommend this or should i just be good if i can keep the res temp proper and change the water regularially.

Anything that the plants can directly use is in solution and cannot be filtered out regardless of how fine of a filter is used. If you have lots of organics in the water or are running beneficial fauna then you need to be more careful. For just dissolved inorganic, you can run something like this: Pentek 150237 #10 Big Blue Filter Housing, 1" Female NPT Inlet/Outlet, with these: Pentek DGD-5005 Spun Polypropylene Filter Cartridge, 10" x 4-1/2", and you will strain out all particulate larger than bacteria. The low pressure drop on this means that even a magnetic impeller can push water through it (although barely... probably want to have nothing else on that pump). If you are using a diaphragm pump for TAG then the filter can be plumbed in before the pump without issues. You can also run a cheaper filter on a diaphragm pump since the pressure differentials are so high. DuPont WFPF13003B Universal Whole House 15,000-Gallon Water Filtration System

Algae means you are getting light in the reservoir or are at the very least exposing your nutrient fluid to the light at some point so you might just break out the aluminum foil and make things a bit more light tight.

-Eskander

Back
Top Bottom