Help with aeroponic cloner no roots

roundstone

Hi

I have a 20 aeroponic cloner.
water is at 19.
light is 18/6 and is a small 100w cfl.

They have been in the machine for 14days now and only 3 have roots showing. the rest look like the stem is going brown.

All I did is cut at 45 and put them in the machine. did put some clonex on them but seem to wash off.
the water is just tap water

Any advice would be great

ok I am in no way a expert at aeroponics but I have read alot of sites and videos enough to tell you that when ya use just regular tap water it either gonna be a slow root grow or dead depending on how the water quality is.
Clonex also makes a solution that ya put into your water for aeroponics.
They say if ya use the solution then ya dont need the clonex gel.
About the light ya can ask the experts in the grow forums easily.
I placed mine in a cup like my wife does for her ivy plants and it takes a long ass time to root without the nutes.
I have read that some see roots in as little as 3 days with the solution.
good luck to ya, getting ready to start my cloning tub for aero also.

I have two different aeroponic cloners and I now have about a 99% success rate with them.

I run 9.1 tap water with a few drops of z7 water treatment in them.

I just cut them with my old clippers and stick them in and off they go.

The z7 keeps everything clean. So there is no issues with a clean knife or bucket if your using it.

One thing I think is a big deal is don't give them to much light at first.

I give them almost no light for the first 24hr and then slowly start giving a little more.

I do mine off to the side in a tent with led's. But I will start them in the shade of bigger plants or just shine the led on the wall of the tent for a few days. But the first day I keep them out of the tent and away from most light.

I have found that to much light is a real bad thing for them.(at least for me)

I get roots showing within 5 to 8 days.

Other bad things for them I have found at that point would be to hard of spray of water on their stems or to many leaves left on them or to cold.

Other then those few things. It is pretty much a sure thing for me now.

Good Luck to you!

Thanx DukeO,
Hell brother ya even answered some questions I was wondering about.
Just ordered a TurboKlone to try to get the clones growing faster and will use your advice on that also.
I was putting them under a 60w cfl right off the top and now I know that is bad.
thanx Again

Hi
a little update Put some new cuttings in and things seem to be getting worse. 19days to get the bumpy bits in the stem, 22 days to see a small root. have the pump on 15min and off 15min no dome 24hours and 24hours of light. water is ph 5.8 did by some formulex but didn't seem to do much if anything, did ask the guy in the store about clonex solution. he didn't really know what it was just showed me the gel. only seems to be in usa on ebay.

starting to think going back to buying seeds will be better.

thanks

Well I have a lot of success in my aerocloner 60. There are several keys to success.

1. alcohol sterilize the cutting implement
2. cut the stems underwater at a 45 degree angle about 1" below a node.
3. Take lower side branches rather than upper branches
4. add a few drops bleach to the water in the cup you are using to cut the clones.
5. Add a few drops of bleach per gallon to the cloner itself and add the same amount every few days.
6. Make sure to bleach the cloner and run bleach water through the pump for several hours between cloning, clean all emitters and foam collars in bleach water.
7. Use air stones in the cloner resevoir.
8. Nice low intensity fluorescent lighting.

Great roots this way. The non rooting ones on the right are a two decade old tough to clone strain. She clones but usually several days after the others. But she's worth it.
image8961.jpeg

P32007641.JPG

Hi thanks for the reply. I didn't put an airstone in because the roots of not in the water?????? and what times do you have your machine running? I have 10 litres of water in my machine so how much h202 should I use???

Many thanks
just been looking at superthrive any good???

I run the airstones from the very start. I feel like it is more to get rid of stagnant air than to aerate the water. the airstone push air into the cloner wich makes old air push out of the cloner. I don't use peroxide just a few drops of chlorine bleach per gallon, and a water change after four days. Every two days a few drops of bleach/gallon to replace the bleach that has evaporated. The pump with the emitters runs 24/7 during cloning.

No experience with superthrive.

ok I just put an air stone in the water will keep you updated.

just changed the water ph 5.8 water temp 20, air stone now, will get some bleach tomorrow

thanks

ok I just put an air stone in the water will keep you updated.

just changed the water ph 5.8 water temp 20, air stone now, will get some bleach tomorrow

thanks

If I am reading that as Celsius then ya might wanna increase to around 23 If I am correct people have said mid 70's F is the range for faster growth, a cold temp will just make the growth slow and sometimes kill the clones.
But get more opinions, I am just telling you what I have read from some people here.

Hi all

was day 7 for my cutting and I have 2 little roots only on 1 out of 20 cuttings, and the plant it is on was one where I slipped with the blade and cut half the stem when doing a 45 angle. was about 10mm long cut, MMMmmm interesting.

I run straight tap water in my homemade aero cloner. Roots in 5-7 days. Let em go for 14 days to get the desired roots to go str8 to flower. No clonex, no solutions. Tap only.7.0-73 ppm 240-250. I will tell you tho. Your rh of the cloning area and water temps plays a key roll. Too much wind no good. Too much light, and they'll try to photosynthesize instead of shoot roots. The 100w cfl is fine doesn't need to be directly over them. Again, this is just how it works for me. Shiggity has a great recipe to follow. I haven't changed my water out in about a month. I just add to what has evaporated or spilled out when i forget to turn the pump off before checking the roots :volcano-smiley:I'm not suggesting you do as I do. I do suggest you get you cloning humidty in the 60-70 and your water temps in the 70-75f range. Just another way things can be done.
IMG_205122.JPG
DSCN17706.JPG
DSCN17717.JPG

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Fantastic DIY caneyebus! And amazing roots! Headed to your journal. I need to add it to my list!

Shiggity, I had one of those 65 site tote cloners like your pictured. Was very handy when running the 2ltr army. It was just taking up too much real estate in my smaller veg tent. So I gutted it, made the diaphragm a bit smaller and shoved it into a 5 gallon bucket. Now I only have like 25 sites, but I always double up 2 clones per site when cloning spaces are needed.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Shiggs,(hope you don't mind the abbreviation) you can leave less stem protruding and get bushier roots. Like an inch to and inch 1/2 worth of stem below the "puc". As seen, the clones hardly ever root from the tip where we cut them. 45 degress or not. Well, going back. Lol yours do seem to root from the end of the cut, with some rooting from the sides like mine. Haha, hey I double dog dare you on your next round of cuttings, to leave a bit less stem beneath just for "experiments" sake. God knows I like to experiment.:circle-of-love:.

StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Here are 3 photos. 7 days from cutting only 2 have roots and they are ones with 45 degree angle about 10mm long. All the others have very small 45 angle with nothing yet. so I guess from now on my 45 will be a 20 degree angle 10mm long.
IMG_20160325_071653.jpg
IMG_20160325_071607.jpg
IMG_20160325_072011.jpg

Shiggs, nah, I meant stem length protruding from the bottom of your clone pucs. Hell, I've taken 10-12" tops and rooted them. You can root just about any length dependent on much support the top has to hold itself in place till roots pop to balance her out from being top heavy or what not. What i was saying is leave less stem underneath to get wet. Try it on maybe two of yer cuts against the same strain done at the length (under puc) you do now. Hope I didn't confuse it even more. As Wake-n-bakes are usually just reading time for me, No good at the screen typing under said condition.:Namaste: Reading back, it does seem like a lot of words just to say" a lil less stem under the neoprene disk" hahaha.. I'll get some shots of today's progression. I've already taken the majority of the clones that were in the pic & potted em. There are still some of the same clones from the pic in the cloner.
I'm out. Where's my coffee
StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Shiggs, nah, I meant stem length protruding from the bottom of your clone pucs. Hell, I've taken 10-12" tops and rooted them. You can root just about any length dependent on much support the top has to hold itself in place till roots pop to balance her out from being top heavy or what not. What i was saying is leave less stem underneath to get wet. Try it on maybe two of yer cuts against the same strain done at the length (under puc) you do now. Hope I didn't confuse it even more. As Wake-n-bakes are usually just reading time for me, No good at the screen typing under said condition.:Namaste: Reading back, it does seem like a lot of words just to say" a lil less stem under the neoprene disk" hahaha.. I'll get some shots of today's progression. I've already taken the majority of the clones that were in the pic & potted em. There are still some of the same clones from the pic in the cloner.
I'm out. Where's my coffee
StayFrosty
CanEyeBus
Nah I totally got what you are saying. I think my usual average is about a 3.5" clone. I like about 2" coming from out of the pucks. When I go shorter they don't seem as happy. But this batch was truly long haha. It makes it harder for them to capillary the water up to the leaves when it is as long as I took them this time. That's why I was so surprised the Pineapple fields rooted so darn well!

Back
Top Bottom