DIY high pressure Aeroponics

No Pain

High pressure Aeroponics .

Your probably wondering what the big deal is . But first let me tell you a little bit about me . I started in soil in the early 90's , I did okay but I was looking for something different so I ventured into hydro as it really fascinated me . I started out with Emily's garden which was nothing more than a nute tray /res with an air stone and pots sitting in it and soon started reading on other methods such as ebb flow and then I came across an article at that time that was cutting edge " Aeroponics " . I was like holy shit I have to try this . So I bought a gh Aeroflow 20 and drove that for 10 years . The results I had from growth rate to root production and cloning where amazing to me . Then due to what was going on in my life at that time I had to push the pause button on my favorite hobby "feminized breeding and growing " of this wonderful plant.

So now here I was ready to get back to one of the things I loved . I have the areoflo20 propped up in the garage but I don't have the space for it . So off researching I go and I come across an article on High pressure Aeroponics and again I was like holy shit I have to try this . I did endless searching and came up with very little information in regards to a DIY guide and that's one of the reasons I have put this together.

So now why high pressure and not ebb flow or a dwc system . Well it's all about the root zone and that's one of the main reasons you will see accelerated grown in hydro versus soil. High pressure is a much more efficient way of delivering nutes to your plant as long as you dial in the misting time and droplet size. Optimum droplet size is bettween 30&50 microns and pressures run from 80 to 150 psi. I currently run 10 sec on ( that's as low as my current timer goes , I'll talk more about that later. Some people will say if you aren't going for and don't achieve a fluffy fuzzy root zone there is no point in doing a high pressure system. I will tell them they are wrong simply wrong . With my current set up I only have a fish bone structured root zone and it really outperforms my aeroflo 20 and is more versatile for around the same cost , not to mention it saves on nutes . Saves on nutes you say ? How is this ? Well you spraying a 30-50 micron mist @ high pressure so you are delivering nutrients to the plant more efficiently so it's able to get more of what it needs by using less. To put it a different way you can look at a dwc/ ebb flow like a carbonated fuel system on a car compared to fuel injection .Not to mention overall water consumption is lowered because if this delivery system . My current set up with 4 plants 2 1/2 weeks into flower ( 8-13-16) uses about a gallon a day ! Click the link in my signature and you will see what I'm working with .

Now let's get on to the reason you stopped by the DIY part !
This was my first design and I will amend this later with changed I have made , which mainly consist of what my plants sit in .

Here is a pic of everything you will need to build this . A tub of your choice , I liked this one because of its size , the lid snapped into place , it's sturdy and the root zone area is black.
Some pvc pipe for a stand , pvc for drains , hole saws for whatever net up size you choose and for your drains . Pvc glue , silicone to seal drain areas , pvc cutters. 1/4 drill bit , 1/4 tubing and fittings , step down bit for drilling holes for your nozzles /misting heads, nozzles/ misting heads these are rated @ .8 gph and 50 micron . A high pressure diaphragm pump and pressure gauge along with a 100 micron prefilter. Last but not least a reservoir , this one is 10 gallons .
image15897.jpeg
image15896.jpeg

Alright let's build a stand . What you seen in the last picture was precut pic . I measured the width of my tub and measured the height of my res and designed the stand so the front of the tub just cleared the top of the res and the rear of the tub sat slightly higher to promote drainage .
image15895.jpeg
image15894.jpeg

image15893.jpeg

Next we will create drains . I chose to go with 1 1/2" drains so that I didn't have to worry about my roots clogging them .
image15892.jpeg

Take your whole saw and drill out an area in each corner for the size drain that you choose .
image15891.jpeg

Next we will fit , secure and seal them in place .
image15890.jpeg
image15889.jpeg
image15888.jpeg
image15887.jpeg
image15886.jpeg
image15885.jpeg

Now it's time to create a drop in point in the lid of our res . So put your tub on the stand you made and slide it up to your res , however you are going to have it situated in your grow area .
image15884.jpeg

Now draw a line on each side of your drain pipe . I like using tape for this.
image13306.jpeg

Now take the hole saw for your size drain and position it in the center of your markings with the edge of the hole saw just inside the lip of where your lid seals to the bottom of your res.
image13305.jpeg

Now for a test fit .
image15883.jpeg

Next cut the remaking portion of the lid with your tool of choice .
image15881.jpeg

image15880.jpeg

Now trim the remaining over hanging lip on the lid , this will help create easy access to your res.
image15879.jpeg

Next we will layout our net cups and fittings on the lid . I did my best to position the net cups at an equal distance from the edge of the tub as well as the center . I laid out my fittings in the area the nozzles will be positioned. I was looking to get 360 degree coverage of all the net pots using a minimum amount of nozzles. Your design may vary due to amount of net cups you decide to use .
image15878.jpeg

Time for some drilling !
image15877.jpeg
image15876.jpeg

Now that we have our holes drilled it's time to focus on our nozzles . Take your stopper and your 1/4 drill bit and dill a hole through the center on the stopper . We will be installing some 1/4 line through this.
image15874.jpeg

Next install your stoppers and netcups in the lid and turn it upside down . I used tape to hold my cups in place .
image15873.jpeg
image15872.jpeg

Now push a nozzle into the bottom of one of your stoppers and look at the position of the spray head in relation to the cup. We are doing this to determine the length of tubing we will be cutting for our spray head . I like my spray head right at about the center point of the cup so that when it mists it starts hitting the cup right around the bottom.
image15869.jpeg

Now cut you length of line and install it through the stopper . You will want to find a hard surface to push the line through as it is a tight fit . Install the nozzle and place all the stoppers back in the lid and turn it over and recheck your distance .
image15868.jpeg
image15866.jpeg
image15865.jpeg
image15864.jpeg

Now we will install our 1/4 t's , y's and elbows based on our configuration .
image15863.jpeg

It's time to measure and install our water line .
image15862.jpeg

Now run it down to the pump with the pressure gauge , put some water in the res
image15860.jpeg

And MIST AWAY !!!
image15859.jpeg

Last but not least check your pressure . I run mine at 140 ...the higher the pressure the finer the mist . These nozzles are rated at 50 micron @ 80lbs I believe . My theory is at 140 I'm probably spraying at 30 microns and a little bit longer of a spray cycle isn't going to increase my water droplet size past 50.
image15857.jpeg

Well I hope you enjoyed this and that I didnt make things confusing as this was my first DIY guide .I will post what components I use later , the hardest thing to find was the misters .

Parts list
Below you will find the list of parts used for the high pressure Areo side of this DIY with the link embedded in the term , I wanted to edit my original post but no such luck

Pump -
916q-EYERPL_SL1500_.jpg

Pressure gauge -
41BivM5UZiL.jpg

1/4 inch line -
614RUJw0TqL_SL1160_.jpg

150 micron inline filter -
71nDIJ7cISL_SL1500_.jpg

Y connector -
61uBM5-PkmL_SL1373_.jpg

T connector -
710zFcuiwDL_SL1500_.jpg

90 degree / elbow connector -
61GM_iCvSqL_SL1498_.jpg

Rubber stoppers -
31KBSKG5QAL.jpg

Misters -
q_mnd.jpg

Timer -
41sePfEJ1UL.jpg

Hi No Pain!

I'm really liking this concept and what you've put together. Looking forward to finding out more about the components and the current design you're running now. :thumb:

Thanks for sharing this information!
:thanks: :Namaste:
No problem Synbad . That info is on the way . In regards to the difference between this and what I'm running now , it's simply gone from a tote to buckets for several reasons . reasin being room for plant growth and mobility . The tote worked great until a certian stage . Could you imagine what my current grow would look like in the tote ? The tote is excellent for a Sog system or two plant max. Buckets now that changes the game based on your grow room . With this pump you could do 10 buckets and have the flexibility of a dwc / bucket system with the advantage of high pressure Aeroponics . The next update / improvement is going to be in the bucket itself. I am already looking at new ones that fit the system better. The basics will not change and those are the filter,pump,misting nozzles .

No problem Synbad . That info is on the way . In regards to the difference between this and what I'm running now , it's simply gone from a tote to buckets for several reasons . reasin being room for plant growth and mobility . The tote worked great until a certian stage . Could you imagine what my current grow would look like in the tote ? The tote is excellent for a Sog system or two plant max. Buckets now that changes the game based on your grow room . With this pump you could do 10 buckets and have the flexibility of a dwc / bucket system with the advantage of high pressure Aeroponics . The next update / improvement is going to be in the bucket itself. I am already looking at new ones that fit the system better. The basics will not change and those are the filter,pump,misting nozzles .

That makes a lot of sense. I really like the flexibility I see with your current setup. Looking forward to more about the parts and pieces.

Thanks again! :thanks:

excellent write up no pain!!!

will look forward to a components list and if possible, availability of such?

might end up copying you here bud!!! it looks good.

i love the table i set up for a buddy, but i like the mobility of buckets or pots. cuz i'm a dumbass, i love defol and playing with my girls. lmfao

excellent write up no pain!!!

will look forward to a components list and if possible, availability of such?

might end up copying you here bud!!! it looks good.

i love the table i set up for a buddy, but i like the mobility of buckets or pots. cuz i'm a dumbass, i love defol and playing with my girls. lmfao

This list is on the way along with where to get them . I didn't get to it today as my eyes where bleeding by the time I finished writing this and uploading the pics one by one . Lol I tried uploaded get multiple pics ... But nooooo that couldn't work could it . Lol

Im with you on the buckets and touching the plants , I may not Defol but I rub and stick my face in those bushes everyday .

As far as copying ... That's why it's here :) .

isn't it just about getting in there and handling them. heck i find myself even just standing there staring at all them beautiful girls. its so relaxing being with them.

they give to us for what we give to them.

have fun eh

isn't it just about getting in there and handling them. heck i find myself even just standing there staring at all them beautiful girls. its so relaxing being with them.

have fun eh

I'm right there with you unforgiven. I'll just sit there and look her over, up and down, its extremely relaxing for me.

:peacetwo::Namaste::smokin:

have fun eh

That's right . I used to just sit I'm my grow room after the work was don't and admire them and to make it even a tad more weird get to know them , if you know how to listen they are always talking to you . Lol :)

That's right . I used to just sit I'm my grow room after the work was don't and admire them and to make it even a tad more weird get to know them , if you know how to listen they are always talking to you . Lol :)

i wouldn't call it weird, i actually agree, lol

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
I get super excited reading about all this stuff. Just recently started growing and I'm having a blast! Interacting with my plants and you all here on the forums. Learning little tricks, or even from my own mistakes. This shit right here.... This shit... Let me tell you.:cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:
My grow room is in the same room as me. I can totally relate. I check on them every 10minutes... ROFL
I love Ganja.... It has saved my life. :Namaste:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:
I get super excited reading about all this stuff. Just recently started growing and I'm having a blast! Interacting with my plants and you all here on the forums. Learning little tricks, or even from my own mistakes. This shit right here.... This shit... Let me tell you.:cheesygrinsmiley::cheesygrinsmiley:
My grow room is in the same room as me. I can totally relate. I check on them every 10minutes... ROFL
I love Ganja.... It has saved my life. :Namaste:

:Namaste:

No problem in regards to the timer have one to build that you can dial all the way to sub sec intervals ( not that it's needed ) if it works correctly you would be able to do it for less than half the cost of the one in the parts list . :) once I get it wired and working correctly I will post it .

No problem in regards to the timer have one to build that you can dial all the way to sub sec intervals ( not that it's needed ) if it works correctly you would be able to do it for less than half the cost of the one in the parts list . :) once I get it wired and working correctly I will post it .
:high-five::tokin::yahoo: Awesome stuff!

Thanks for sharing this! :thanks:

I saw in your write up the system runs for 10 seconds, how long are the off intervals?
How much noise does the pump make when its running? My current grow is in a closet in my bedroom, I'm looking to go with this setup for my next grow but I don't want the pump keeping me up at night.

Thanks again!! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom