Low pressure aeroponic sprayer height - Should I spray the netpots?

HerbGnome

Hello!

I have recently learned the hard way that it is possible to water log/over water rockwool/rapid root inserts sitting in a netpot of hydroton with Low Pressure Aeroponics. I got lucky in my first grow-tote where the PVC spray bar was by random luck positioned lower and only sprayed the bottom of the netpots, however on my second tote construction I just didn't think you could over-water the rapid root insert and allowed the sprayers to drench the netpot from top to bottom, the insert was soaked 24/7.

My plants in the new tote showed symptoms of overwatering very quickly and soon fell victim to rootrot from the anaerobic environment. Alas I was under the impression you could not overwater rapidroot/rockwool inserts, and did nothing to stop the water logged insert and the plants failed.

I am having a hard time finding threads about this. I am curious what you guys think a proper sprayer height would be for LPA? I have learned that you shouldn't have the sprayers hitting the middle of the netpots the hard way, which brings me to my question.

Should the sprayers be spraying:
1. the very bottom layer of hydroton of the netpots? or
2. just below the netpots?

#2 would cause me to handwater for a few days, that's no problem, but would I have any adverse reactions because the hydroton medium itself isn't wet enough?

I am in no way a professional or guru on this subject but after 175 views with no response, I feel I should have some kind of input. I stopped using rockwool / starter cubes etc completely after noticing that they do indeed remain very moist. I actually just use those small foam stoppers that or for blocking light. They do get damp but dry out quickly unlike the thick rockwool stuff. Not sure if that's helpful or not. I don't use any hydroton either.

Sent from my Pixel using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I can tell you that I use Rapid Rooters and after popping in them I have put them into my spray cloner and they loved it.

I have also left plants way to long in my spray cloner and never had an issue with over watering.

I would be setting the sprayer for just under the netpot.

I think you had a water issue with your last run.

I use z7 water conditioner and it takes care of all my water/root rot issues.

Back
Top Bottom