Alaskans to vote on pot legalization in 2004 election

BCDAN420

ALASKANS TO VOTE ON POT LEGALIZATION IN '04 ELECTION
by Timothy Inklebarger, (Source:Juneau Empire)

Alaska
-------
Registered voters will get a chance to decide next year whether to legalize private use of marijuana for Alaskans 21 and older.

Lt. Gov. Loren Leman notified initiative sponsors in late November that the petition has the 28,782 signatures necessary to get the question on the 2004 ballot. Sponsors must collect signatures equal to 10 percent of those who voted in the most recent general election.

Since the marijuana initiative was filed prior to the 2002 election, it is based on 10 percent of the voters in the 2000 general election.

"We have enough signatures," said initiative sponsor Linda Ronan of Anchorage. "The problem is that it hasn't been certified. We don't know what the holdup is." Annette Kreitzer, Leman's chief of staff, said she expects the initiative to be certified within the next two weeks.

Sponsors of the initiative have grown accustomed to delays.

On Jan. 13, 2003, Leman rejected 194 of 484 signature booklets over what Anchorage Superior Court Judge John Suddock described as "trivial rule violations."

Following a lawsuit from the initiative sponsors, Leman was ordered in September to recount the signature booklets.

Tom Godkin, an administrative supervisor for the Division of Elections, said the division has not yet completed the total count of the petition booklets but confirmed that the group has more than enough valid signatures.

Ronan said the initiative sponsors and backers plan to begin a public relations campaign next year to build support for the proposed new law. Pubdate: Tue, 30 Dec 2003

looks like in at least one way the USA is ahead of canada as far as pushing laws that are not bull shit.
"Possession of less than 25 plants is protected under the Alaska Constitution's right to privacy" - NORML.org

Zarkn said:
looks like in at least one way the USA is ahead of canada as far as pushing laws that are not bull shit.
"Possession of less than 25 plants is protected under the Alaska Constitution's right to privacy" - NORML.org

I would grow the biggest 25 plants in the world

My city had decriminalization of private use and legalization of medical marijuana on the ballot this past spring, and it lost 46% to 54%. The paper called it a victory for the cops/drug war. Hahaha.

i think a big part of the problem is that, and i hate to sound like some lame MTV vj here, but a lot of young people don't vote...meanwhile senior citizens always turn up to the polls by the busloads (literally some times)

i think a big part of the problem is that, and i hate to sound like some lame MTV vj here, but a lot of young people don't vote...meanwhile senior citizens always turn up to the polls by the busloads (literally some times)

The whole thing was thrown by the false story that some guy "high" on pot killed his own mother. Then after the election was thrown they reported he was high on pcp.

Back
Top Bottom