How Can I Control Pests Outdoors?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Purchasing predators isn't a bad idea, but often they fly to the vacant lot next-door where all the good bugs are, leavng all the other bugs back home. Organic pesticides like neem-oil and pyrethrum are very effective but possibly mutagenic, so are best used as a last resort. Get a 20 gallon hose-end sprayer, IOW when twenty gallons of water have gone through the hose, the sprayer-cup will be empty. Into the cup put:

1/4 cup lemon dish soap, but not a strong one like dawn
1 cup lemon ammonia, bugs don't like the lemon, and the NH4 is a foliar feed
3 T hot sauce (mmm...habenero)
1/2 cup tobacco juice

Go easy at first, its strong stuff. Wear gloves so you don't OD on nicotine. Oh, and don't use it right before harvest. If you have too many slugs for the old beer-can trick, sprinkle a mixture of pelletized lime and AlSO4 around where they go.
Spider mites can be controlled but not eliminated by spraying with corn starch and water. T he starch dries and suffocates them. Diatomaceous earth also kills invertebrates.

i found dusting the plant with bleached flour.. keeps bugs away.. they dont like the bleach, i was told this at a country farm and feed store :)
puff puff.. pass

Yeah, I'm not really all that sold on the idea of using bleach on the plants. That seems too chemical-y for the weed's own good. And I can't imagine how crappy that must taste and how bad that must be for you.

You know, things that you put onto a plant can get absorbed by a plant.

I wouldn't want to smoke this at all. Talk about a crazy buzz - and not in a good way.

Stick with the natural pest control ideas in the original post.

good luck!!!!

I first used garlic and onion powder to add sulfur but I think I really makes the aroma of flowers bloom after the smell of garlic and onion die down you will be amazed with this natures wonder. I would like to try garlic oil on mites.

So where do I get 1/2cup of tobacco juice? I am sure not going to expose my mouth to a carcinogen and chew my own......

Pussy... LOL... I'm kidding brue... here you go:
Tobacco water or tobacco dust juice is a traditional organic insecticide used in domestic gardening. In The English Physician Enlarged of 1681, Nicholas Culpeper recommends tobacco juice to kill lice on children's heads, referencing it as an insecticide poison. Farmers have been using nicotine sulfate insecticide since the early 19th century.

Tobacco water is produced by boiling strong tobacco in water, or by steeping the tobacco in water for a longer period. When cool, the mixture can be applied with a spray, or 'painted' on to the leaves of garden plants, where it will prove deadly to insects.

Tobacco dust juice has a similar use but is produced by mixing water with tobacco dust and black pepper. :Namaste:

So where do I get 1/2cup of tobacco juice? I am sure not going to expose my mouth to a carcinogen and chew my own......

I spray outdoor plants with two different home made mixtures.

Bottle one contains : 1 pack of camel wides (or 1 small pouch of Bugler) boiled and strained in a qt of water.

Bottle two contains : 1 whole clove of garlic, 6 scotch bonnet peppers (habaneros work the same) and 6 jalapeños cut up and boiled/strained in a qt. of water.

Spray just before dusk,top of leaves and under leaves. If you spray in the morning you can cook your plants on a hot day. If plant is flowering try not to soak the bud site, makes it taste "interesting" in a bad kind of way.

Between the two all pests DIE or run away and stay away !!

WillyB

PS: Info for those who try this the first time while medicated, make sure to let the mixtures cool down before you use them... and shake well :tokin:

i just ordered 1500 lady bugs.....have an enclosed 8x8 greenhouse. does have openings in gable and eves ,but windows have screens .so i will lose a few ,but some should stay.. is it a good idea ? but lots of natural killers here thanks. should have put screens in sooner. greenhouse is in garden and i think some bugs eating holes in sunfloweres may have flown in. just want them all gone ,lol sunflowers still bloom.

So this morning I saw what thought was a amphid fly out of my soil. I have had these clones for a day now and I got a few strands of web on some of the leaves. If I use a different soil when transplanting, I will be OK.

Right?

I spray outdoor plants with two different home made mixtures.

Bottle one contains : 1 pack of camel wides (or 1 small pouch of Bugler) boiled and strained in a qt of water.

Bottle two contains : 1 whole clove of garlic, 6 scotch bonnet peppers (habaneros work the same) and 6 jalapeños cut up and boiled/strained in a qt. of water.

Spray just before dusk,top of leaves and under leaves. If you spray in the morning you can cook your plants on a hot day. If plant is flowering try not to soak the bud site, makes it taste "interesting" in a bad kind of way.

Between the two all pests DIE or run away and stay away !!

WillyB

PS: Info for those who try this the first time while medicated, make sure to let the mixtures cool down before you use them... and shake well :tokin:

i have a smiliar recipe and its %100 working agree with you also yellow soft soap 30gr 15ml alcohol ( pure spirit purple color) and 1 litre water also great way.

Growing companion plants and using organic repellents are the best way to control pests. You could intersperse the garden with a few naturally repellent plants. Though its been said that the THC that the marijuana produces will act as a natural repellent in itself it is not strong enough to repel all the plants. You could plant marigold to keep the leaf eating insects away and plant onions to ward off bigger pets like rabbits. Cinnamon oil,clove oil and coriander oil have been used as organic repellents for a long time. You could spray them unto the cannabis leaves.Different cannabis strains may have different reactions to the organic repellents so it is better to test them first.Since you are growing them outdoors it is very important to keep the pests away in general.Here is a blog that mentions some tips on how to maintain a pest free garden ( How To Have A Pest-Free Garden | In The Back Yard ).

I steep one entire elephant garlic on the lowest temp available on your stove for 24 hours in olive oil . cool strain through fine cheese cloth . add 1 table spoon and one drop of lemon dish soap I use dawn to one liter spray bottle . works wonders for me . keep everything off my babies

Back
Top Bottom