How Can I Control Caterpillars?

and how do i fine this?

Spinosad

Spinosad has a broad-spectrum of activity against many of the worst vegetable pests including; the Colorado potato beetle, diamondback moth, cabbage looper, imported cabbageworms, European corn borer, fall armyworm, corn earworm, hornworms, thrips, and leafminers. Perhaps the most amazing part, is that this product works on many different types of insects (caterpillars, flies, thrips and beetles) but spares most beneficials such as lady beetles, predacious fly larvae (hover flies and midges), most parasitic wasps, lacewings, spiders, predatory mites and bugs. Which means that you may need to spray less often if you use this type of selective material, because the natural enemies will be preserved and should help moderate pest populations later in the season.

It is toxic to bees when wet, but is relatively safe for them once it dries, so it should be used when pollinators are not actively foraging.

Another interesting feature of this material is that it is strongest against some of the pests that are traditionally some of the hardest to kill or very prone to resistance, such as the diamondback moth, Colorado potato beetle larvae, fall armyworm, European corn borer, and beet armyworm. That means that although this product is extremely pricy to purchase by the quart or gallon, it is economical on a per acre basis, at least for these pests, because it is effective at extremely low rates (1.5-4.5 ounces/acre).

Spinosad is registered on sweet corn, fruiting vegetables (tomato, pepper, eggplant, tomatillo, pepino and ground cherry), major and minor cole crops, leafy greens (including but not limited to rhubarb, celery, fennel, parsley, etc.) and "tuberous vegetables" (potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, Jerusalem and Chinese artichokes, cassava, chayote root, ginger and turmeric.

In the environment, its solubility is low (above pH 5), tends to bind to soil particles/organic matter, does not persist in the soil, and ultimately breaks down to CO2 and H20, so it is unlikely to leach to groundwater. It is a general use product and was registered under EPA's fast-track reduced-risk bla bla blah

I also elevated my pots in my outside gardens onto stools because it helped keep the amount of caterpillars getting into the pots down. You could also try a water mote. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom