What kind of pump should I use? How much air does each bucket need?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
While I do not know what the minimum amount of oxygen needed for good growth is, it is extremely important to ensure plenty of oxygen to the nutrients/rootzone in bubblers. One of the things that seperates this hydroponic method from some others is that the plant roots sit directly in the nutrient solution. Without proper oxygenation of the solution,the roots would quickly drown and the plant die. In addition, the fact that high amounts of oxygen are delivered directly to the roots is what makes this hydroponic method the fastest in growth rate.

Much is known about what the optimum conditions are for growing dope and subsequently, growrooms can be setup to ensure that all the optimum conditions for the plant are met. Once this is achieved,the single limiting factor in plant growth is how much oxygen the root system can be provided. With the DWC method,lots of oxygen is pumped in directly to the roots, allowing the plant to grow at its full potential with an amazing growth rate.

Be sure to supply your nutrient solution with enough oxygen from a proper pump. When purchasing a pump,be sure that it will be able to deliver 500cc's-600cc's/min to your bucket(s) per gallon of nutrient solution. This will ensure that the roots are recieving enough oxygen to be able to grow at optimum rate. One of the best pumps that I have found for a 5 gallon container is the "Elite 802". These pumps have an air/oxygen output of 1500cc/min X 2. For a 5 gallon bucket, this pump would be able to deliver 600cc/min per gallon.

Old post but hopefully someone is looking....

I am working numbers for a DWC setup and am thankful to see the 600cc/min per gallon number.
So here is what I worked up, did I do this correct?

600cc/minute per gallon X 25 gallons of solution = 15,000cc/minute
15,000 cc/m * 60 = 900,000 cc/hour
900,000 cc/hr = 237 gallons/hour

Using the 950 gph pump:
Sunleaves DuraPump Air - 950GPH - View All - Cheap Hydroponics - Indoor Gardening and Hydroponic Supplies - (Powered by CubeCart)

I should have plenty of air going in, yes?

The numbers say I should be able to safely run three 25 gallon setups with the single pump but I would probably only do two with this pump.

Any comments on my math would be appreciated.

Hi so based on this thread if i were to run 5 dwc buckets i would need 15,000 cc of air bubble from an air pump. If this is right then i guess my next questions is what about head loss from using one pump to power all 5 buckets???

Anddd what recommendations does anyone have for a good pump to power 5-6 five gallon buckets buckets.

thanks in advance.

Is there such a thing as too much oxygen or problems arising from having too much airflow? I have a 45 LPM (45,000cc/min) pump for 4 bubble buckets.

Is there such a thing as too much oxygen or problems arising from having too much airflow? I have a 45 LPM (45,000cc/min) pump for 4 bubble buckets.

Too much air would be when water is coming out of the tub. Otherwise, put as much as you can.

The more bubbles the more growth, no doubt!

I use simple aquirium pump's from W--L--M--t. Cheap and work great. Keep a couple in reserse incase of a burn out. And use black hoses cheap a h00m--d-p00t. Clear will alge up.

How do you increase oxygen...bigger pump or more or larger stones?????

Add one of these to a traditional aquarium air-pump / air-stones(et cetera) setup:

tominaga_dive_power_85_aquarium_power_head.jpg

Pictured item is an aquarium powerhead. Pumps water up from below (comes with a cut-to-fit tube that is meant to connect the bottom of the powerhead to something such as an under-gravel aquarium filter) and outwards in the direction you specify (by adjusting the deflector). In the process, it does two things: The action of the pump pulls a lot of air into the water stream through a venturi effect, and the powerhead tends to create a good amount of disturbance at the water~air interface which helps in aeration. The more DO in your reservoir, the better (think "super-saturated," lol).

I appologize if I'm asking redundant questions but I just started a DWC system. I have 7 buckets connected to a 70lpm

I have been somewhat worried that it isn't growing as fast as it should (but I think that i'm just being Impatient) It's been 2 weeks since I've started and I'm at roughly 6 inches and started as a clone with minimal root structure when I started it 2 weeks ago.

All this worry arose a real question and that is if I have enough air. I'm told I do and I"m also told I need/should get more air.

I looked it up and 70lpm seems to equal out to 70,000 cc/m which means thats 10,000 cc/m per bucket

Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom