Arizona Medical Marijuana Program Caregivers

Julie Gardener

Arizona Medical Marijuana Program
Caregivers​

Below is information related to a Designated Caregiver completing an online application. As a caregiver, you must have been designated as a caregiver by the qualifying patient you are assisting. The patient must have already completed the online application and been approved by ADHS before you can apply through the ADHS online system. Prior to attempting to complete the online application, you are strongly encouraged to access and refer to the application checklist and instructions below. As a caregiver, you must also submit fingerprints to ADHS. Please access the Applicant Fingerprint Instructions below for more information. These documents will assist you in completing the application process.

IMPORTANT: To complete the application, you must have specific documents and other items in a digital format ready for upload. Please review the application checklist and instructions before beginning the online application process.

Designated Caregiver Application Checklist

Applicant Fingerprinting Instructions

Designated Caregiver Application Instructions

Designated Caregiver Online Application

Attestation Forms​

Below you will find an Attestation form that needs to be completed and submitted when applying for a certification or a registry identification card. The Attestation verifies that the information being submitted is true, and the person submitting it is confirming this by signing the form below. Anyone submitting an application must fill out and sign the Attestation form that pertains to the type of certification or registry identification card they wish to obtain.

Designated Caregiver Attestation Form

Arizona Medical Marijuana Program
Frequently Asked Questions
Designated Caregivers​

1: Can I apply to be a designated caregiver?
No, state law specifies that only a qualifying patient can submit an application designating an
individual as the qualifying patient's designated caregiver.

2: How can I become a designated caregiver?
A qualifying patient must apply for a designated caregiver, and only if the designated caregiver
meets specific requirements. The requirements for a designated caregiver are specified in state
law and include that the individual must be at least 21 years of age, agree to assist the qualifying
patient in the medical use of marijuana, and have not been convicted of an excluded felony
offense. An individual may be a designated caregiver for no more than five qualifying patients.
A designated caregiver does not have to be a home health aide or other professional caregiver.

3: Do I need a separate card for each of my qualifying patients?
Yes. Each patient must apply for you separately as the designated caregiver, so you will have a
separate card for each qualifying patient you help.

4: Can I be both a qualifying patient and a designated caregiver?
Yes, an individual may be both a qualifying patient and the designated caregiver for another
qualifying patient as long as the individual meets the requirements for both.

5: If I am a designated caregiver, can I use marijuana?
A designated caregiver must pledge not to divert marijuana to anyone not allowed to possess
marijuana under the Arizona Medical Marijuana Act. Therefore, a designated caregiver may not
use marijuana unless the designated caregiver is also a qualifying patient.

6: If I already have a fingerprint clearance card from another job, why do I need to
submit another fingerprint card to be a designated caregiver?
The list of offenses that would prevent a fingerprint clearance card from being issued to a
teacher, child care worker, or other individuals required to obtain these, is not the same as the list
of "excluded felony offenses" for which designated caregivers are checked. Therefore, all
designated caregivers are required to submit fingerprints in a Department-provided format as part
of the applications for registry identification cards unless their fingerprints were submitted within
the previous six months as part of another application to the medical marijuana program.

7: Where can I have my fingerprints taken to send to the Department?
A caregiver will need to contact either a local law enforcement agency or a private company to
have their fingerprints taken. There is more information on the Caregivers page. Arizona Medical Marijuana Program Frequently Asked Questions Designated Caregivers Updated: 4.13.11 Arizona Medical Marijuana Program

8: Will I need to send in prints every year with the renewal application?
Designated caregivers must submit prints at renewal (yearly), unless the designated caregiver has
submitted fingerprints for a different registry identification card in the previous 6 months.

9: If I am a designated caregiver, can I grow marijuana?
A designated caregiver can grow marijuana for a qualifying patient's medical use only if the
qualifying patient's home is more than 25 miles from the nearest dispensary and the qualifying
patient has designated the caregiver as the one who should be approved to cultivate marijuana on
the qualifying patient's behalf. The amount of marijuana a designated caregiver may grow or
possess is limited by the number of qualifying patients who the designated caregiver is assisting.

10: What if I live less than 25 miles from a dispensary, but the qualifying patient does
not? Can I grow medical marijuana?
When a qualifying patient lives more than 25 miles from a dispensary and has authorized the
designated caregiver to grow, the caregiver may cultivate marijuana on the qualifying patient's
behalf. The amount of marijuana a designated caregiver may grow or possess is limited by the
number of qualifying patients who the designated caregiver is assisting.

11: What if my qualifying patient lives less than 25 miles from a dispensary, but I don't.
Can I grow medical marijuana?
Neither the patient nor the qualified caregiver will be authorized to grow marijuana when a
qualifying patient lives less than 25 miles from a dispensary.

12: How much can I grow?
The amount of marijuana a designated caregiver may grow or possess is limited by the number
of qualifying patients who the designated caregiver is assisting. It is limited to 12 plants per
qualifying patient.

13: Can I grow outside?
Designated caregivers can grow marijuana outside when authorized to grow marijuana and who
comply with the law, growing the marijuana in an enclosed, locked facility: a closet, room,
greenhouse, or other enclosed area equipped with locks or other security devices that permit
access only by a cardholder. "Enclosed area" is defined in rule as an outdoor space surrounded
by solid 10-foot walls constructed of metal, concrete, or stone that prevent any viewing of the
marijuana plants, with a one-inch-thick metal gate. Arizona Medical Marijuana Program
Frequently Asked Questions Designated Caregivers Updated: 4.13.11 Arizona Medical Marijuana Program

14: How much will it cost to apply for a registry identification card or a dispensary
registration certificate?
The fees are listed in rules and include:
♦$150 for an initial or a renewal registry identification card for a qualifying patient. Some
qualifying patients may be eligible to pay $75 for initial and renewal cards if they
currently participate in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
♦$200 for an initial or a renewal registry identification card for a designated caregiver.
♦$500 for an initial or a renewal registry identification card for a dispensary agent.
♦$5,000 for an initial dispensary registration certificate.
♦$1,000 for a renewal dispensary registration certificate.
♦$2,500 to change the location of a dispensary or cultivation facility.
♦$10 to amend, change, or replace a registry identification card.

Source: Arizona Medical Marijuana Program - Caregivers

Be informed and be well.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom