Can you clone from Auto Flowering plants?

UglyMuppet

i am gearing up for my first grow and picked up some Easy Rider AKA Lowryder #2 x AK47 from attitude and was wondering if these would be difficult to clone?
i have been researching the topic :reading420magazine: and was getting conflicting reports. some people were having poor results while others were getting favorable results from attempting to clone from auto plants. i have 5 seeds germinating as we speak. can some one point me towards the right information?
i will be starting my grow journal as soon as the process is under way. i am just finishing the build on my cabinet...

thanks for the help.

Heres what I did...Bought 20 AK47 seeds.germinated 10 .Kept 10 in reserve.once started at 10 days I cloned the tops.plants went into mild shock.5 days later took another cutting of each plant..5days later took final cutting of each plant..Mild stress..of my 10 original plants and 30 clones 2 died..I didnt use clonex powder or gell..I used pure Manuka honey to dip cuttings..The ones that died were clones...had good returns and will repeat the process...As a matter of fact will be doing the same this weekend..

true autoflower strains dont clone. they're seed only, as thats how they get their veg time. auto flowers under veg lighting dont revert to veg.

thats why seedbanks love 'em.

Have you ever had a young female plant just coming into bud,that youve taken clones from?...Well the same thing goes with autoflowering plants jist the times are different..You start taking cuttings from the little mother when its only 10 days old..Only bad thing is a little stress,and the chance one`or two may die..

yes i have.

if the AF you clone is 10 day into veg,the clone will also be 10 days into veg.(plus the time it takes to root.) so now you have a tiny rooted AF thats ~20 days old and starts to bud at the same time as the plant the cutting came from. to me thats not a viable cloning program.

Snowbender yer right.Yer never going to get the results from an auto flower that your gonna get from say a F1 seed...Only thing Im saying is that its possible to do and if you only grow for your own needs its not a big issue either..Also its nice and handy for limited space growing..Auto's are little plants and little return by comparison to a F1 plant...Peace.

The other reason seed banks love them is that the auto-flowering trait is recessive, so F2 seeds won't auto reliably.

It's takes a few generations of selection and/or back-crossing to stabilize.

But, it's all good, the more choices, the better.

autos are fun. You can grow them in lots of places, especially since light leaks aren't a problem.

yes you can clone from autoflowering seeds... I am on my third generation of auto-bubblicious from Nirvana seeds. they are going great!:thumb:

Logically, if they are true autos (flower without a change in lighting) then a perpetual cloning wouldn't be possible.

You clone, say after it is 10 days old. The clone is 10 days old. By the time it gets roots and starts growing, it is 20 days old, just like it's mother, but the mother is much larger. If you want for the clone to be clonable, and take a clone, that clone is like what 30 days old? So wouldn't it be ready to harvest in another 30 days? 10 of those days are used to get roots enough to start growing. If you tried to clone for it ...

It seems like it shouldn't work.

Unless autos don't flower by genetic age, but by how long they are exposed to light, or size or something. If that is the case, then the fact the first generation clones are 20 days old once they have a good root system, wouldn't matter. They wouldn't start flowering until they reached the proper size, or were under light for the proper amount of time, and thus wouldn't be harvestable when the mother was, but 10-20 days later, and thus the second generation of clones, though 30 days old genetically, wouldn't be harvestable until 10-20 days after the first generation of clones, and etc.

The only way to find out is to expirment with it, which is what I plan to do with my autos. If it turns out that you cannot have a perpetual clone, then I will most likely keep buying seeds, or find a regular strain that goes from clone to harvest in about 60-70 days.

My goal is to harvest every two weeks.

Two plants planted, cloned when they are two weeks old, then those clones cloned when they are two weeks old, and then those clones cloned when they are two week old, etc. So that every two weeks, two plants are harvested.

Yeah I am popping some AKR beans right now I am going to be trying it out, from what I have read specifically on afghan kush ryder everyone has had success cloning it so I am pretty psyched about that :cheer: I have heard some interesting theories about how autos flower not really sure what to believe now :p

Logically, if they are true autos (flower without a change in lighting) then a perpetual cloning wouldn't be possible.

You clone, say after it is 10 days old. The clone is 10 days old. By the time it gets roots and starts growing, it is 20 days old, just like it's mother, but the mother is much larger. If you want for the clone to be clonable, and take a clone, that clone is like what 30 days old? So wouldn't it be ready to harvest in another 30 days? 10 of those days are used to get roots enough to start growing. If you tried to clone for it ...

It seems like it shouldn't work.

Unless autos don't flower by genetic age, but by how long they are exposed to light, or size or something. If that is the case, then the fact the first generation clones are 20 days old once they have a good root system, wouldn't matter. They wouldn't start flowering until they reached the proper size, or were under light for the proper amount of time, and thus wouldn't be harvestable when the mother was, but 10-20 days later, and thus the second generation of clones, though 30 days old genetically, wouldn't be harvestable until 10-20 days after the first generation of clones, and etc.

The only way to find out is to expirment with it, which is what I plan to do with my autos. If it turns out that you cannot have a perpetual clone, then I will most likely keep buying seeds, or find a regular strain that goes from clone to harvest in about 60-70 days.

My goal is to harvest every two weeks.

Two plants planted, cloned when they are two weeks old, then those clones cloned when they are two weeks old, and then those clones cloned when they are two week old, etc. So that every two weeks, two plants are harvested.
Try growing autos with your regular plants, say 2 regs and 4 autos, when you harvest the regular girls you just change the lights to 12/12 or you could do it earlier before you harvest but thats not really necessary

this allows the regular gals to get huge in flowering so you would yield a large amount of bud

I have cloned Auto's. It can be done. But. What I ended up with ( and it could just be me ) Was a bunch of mini bud plants that had trichs showing harvest time though not much density or size to the buds. When I leave the plant alone I get a 26" tall plant with Huge dense colas on every branch. In the end, Cloning can be done but my tests have shown that you can have a bunch of tiny plants with small buds when the trichs are ready or you can have 10x as much by leaving the plant alone. *Just my findings* Many on here will have different results. Good luck in any grow that works for You !

back in the 60/70's We found out one could clone.Like Mom and eveyones mother did.Ferns Wandering Jews,,,ect.But cloning didn't work!!!!You clone ahealthy branch/bud only to get little buds(good,potent exactly like the donor plant but small.Too small to make it worth it.
Then we found out about the veg stage and 20 hour light versus 12 hour light which led to mother plants and clones (big big clones with big big buds)and even as little as 15 min light will cause a 12 hour photo-period flowering plant to revert back to the veg.state.I have seen a thread of a lowryder(1) (whose main cola has another single branch) which was turmed male,which pollinated the cola and the grower got seed.
If one could clone a single branch AND make it an male.Then however small the male flower would be as long as it's pollen was fertile then cloning autoflowers (as males )would isolate the male and show you female traits.Each generation provides 1/4 of the traits.

Perfect female + male + 3/4 female + 1/4 male
Seeds from that + (same male pollen) = 1/2 female = 1/2 male

again & again until you have breed four generations of female with the same male to get a true strain.
so cross a wiliams wonder with a C.ruderalis and get a Lowryder.Cross something else and get a Lowryder 2 Cross a Lowryder ! and Lowryder @ "accidently" with a mazar (or something else I don't remember off hand) and get betty boop

As far as quality amd quantity cloning,autoflowers are not economical.Yet may have benefits as far as crossing/breeding and insuring a stable male.Which if produced from a feale should produce "feminized" seeds.

Of course like"all of us"this is only what I've gleened and researched.Feel free to correct,dispute,disregard or otherwise add or improve any info.which I have wrote,to provde us with more up to date research & hopefully facts.
We are all here to help each other to learn,improve and to grow.

I call shenanigans.

Impossible to clone a female plant have the clone turn male.

IM

POSS

IBLE

I hate to be a dick, but don't spread misinformation.

Also, the bit about an AF reverting to veg is false. It doesn't happen. YOU CANNOT REVERT AN AF TO VEG.

You also cannot clone an AF and revert the AF to beginning veg. It doesn't work. At best, the clone will take an extra two or three weeks to get half the size of the mother. Then, the mother spends a week repairing the cut sight.

Also, if you switch an AF from 20/4 or 24/0 schedule to 15 minutes a day to shock revert to veg stage... all that's going to happen is your clone will lighten up, stretch out and fall the fuck over.

Honestly, I don't mean to get angry but if you don't have hands on experience don't go telling people to clone their AF's (Or do something similarly detrimental). You're messing with people's harvests and that's not cool.

First I wish to say " Bongtastic" IS 100 %"CORRECT" In whatever he said ! ('I'm still digesting his remarks.) I wish also add re-read and spell check your post !Even though my two index fingers are able to type over a 100 words a day.(sometimes hitting enter wipes out whole words,phrases ,sentences and sometimes trains of thoughts.
I mentioned "photo-period plants"are light (scheduled)sensitive.AF are NOT.I mentioned it to show how light plays an important role in the veg. & the flowering stage of a photo-erid plant.(and yes there is a multi- million $ industry in supplying green light.goggle,goggles with a green light attached to work and moniture your Photo-period plants.(OK maybe not muti million or multi-hundred thousands )(maybe just thousnands $)cater to this industry.However AF's do not fall into this category.Yet AF's are not trigerred by light schedule change but due to either age or light schedule.C.ruderalis comes from an northern (or southern if your from Australia)I saw the sun go down in Fairbanks Alaska @ 11p.m.If I had been on top of a skyscraper it would not have gone down but moved east to west then rose again.
MY THEORY:AF's ae not age dependant but light dependant!
I have grown lowryder #1 over 4 to 5 months(over 3 feet tall !) I have grown 60 day wonders for over 4 to 5 months (over 3-4 feet tall)

FYI they aren't suppose to grow that high or long !!
They started out in 20 to 24 hour light.They got big.Out of control.I gave them away to a good home.Who grew them outdoors in 12 to 14 hours light.
They slowed down and grew taller for along time but never really matured.(which they never really did.)(good tastes and good smoke)We need more research on if it's age or light!
They can be cloned!But not like we know now.More like when we found out they could be cloned(photo-periods)But later found out that you would not want to clone a "flowering'photo-period.Because you only get small flowers.BUT IF YOU CLONE PHOTO-PERIODS while they are in a veg.state,you can keep them til their desired height,,,then cause them to flower.
Not so with AF's.You clone them they don't continue in the veg.state like photo-periods.They are either age triggered or light triggered.

There is only 2 scenerios to clone an AF.

You clone a branch or two to see if it turns female(however stunted and pathetic and sickly.To see if it's a female.And when the tiny little worthless plant mature you can taste it to see if you like the genetic.
Meanwhile you are spraying the whole plant with G.acid or sodium thiosulfate and turn the plant male giving you generations of the male trait of this plant.

Or clone you a male stem from a female plant and try and keep it alive to pollinate the 2nd plant of this strain .Which will give you the 1st of four generations you have to produce.(and keep enough of viable male pollen to continue the breeding.)

This is economical since my AF's seeds cost $15.00 each with shipping and mailing.IF YOU WISH TO GROW YOUR OWN TRUE STRAIN!!!

It's easier to grow AF's from tried and true tested seed suppliers.

So unless your a breeder,don't even attempt cloning AF's.They are tempermental enough!(have you noticed tempermental has both the words of temper and mental in one word!They are finically,mental AUTOFLOWERS ARE LIKE NO OTHER cannabis STRAINThey are C.ruderalis and whatever you want them to be (within reason)(never mind there is no reasoning with an AF.They're gonna do what they want just hang in enjoy the ride,and hope we all can learn from our successes and even more important from our mistakes.

I also wrote "Feel free to correct,dispute,disregard or otherwise add or improve any info.which I have wrote"

Yes Bongtastic you stated in your reply "I'm angry" ect''ect."your messing with peoples harvest"(no I'm messing with peoples breeding program.Again,if you want a good harvest,listen to Bongtastic.If you want to exeiment let us know how that works out for you.

BONGTASTIC !!!! YOU RULE !!! Thank you for the correction and the dispute(debate?shareing?)of knowledge"

Sorry for the long post, just want to be clear on where I'm coming from, and what I actually know as opposed to what is theory based on reasonably extensive experience.
Haven't grown for fifteen years. Planning to start again shortly for medicinal purposes.
Grew about 20 times and from early days regularly produced 5 to 7 oz high grade Sativa x Indica usually from seed in a half square metre grow room every 13 weeks.
Looking forward to experimenting with some feminised Sativa x Ruderalis seeds. (Looking for high CBD content and lowish THC content. But not too low, I still love a nice high)
The seeds I want are only available as feminised. (Initially frustrating, cause I don't want to keep buying something I should be able to produce myself.)
Going to try Auto Haze, Auto Kali Mist and Nirvana Sky. Would also love to get some Ruderalis stock to experiment with crossing some of our local sativa strain that grows outside to about ten feet (needs shrinking) but has dry colas fat as your arm and an awesome motivating and creative high.
MY ADVICE TO ALL IS TO
DO SOME RESEARCH ON HOW TO MAKE FEMINISED SEEDS. :)
Seems that one can add chemicals to the nutrient mix to force a female plant to produce male flowers and self polinate. Colloidal silver (water based solution of atomised silver particles) seems like a safe simple choice. Will experiment and see.
STRESSING THE PLANTS ALSO WORKS; I HAVE DONE THIS SEVERAL TIMES (through being loaded with all the buds my mates and I could handle so generally not giving a fuck about the plants, I left the plant stocks growing after harvest with a few leaves and buds and minimal nutrient) and stressing a female plant WILL (every time for me anyway) eventually cause it to produce male flowers and limited seeds. I did it by mistake and never though much of it because I had ready access to a variety of clones/seeds and didn't care much what strain I grew; in fact enjoyed the variety.
Although I'm yet to try this myself, my fairly sound understanding of horticultural genetics and evolution leads me to conclude that as the pollen comes from a female plant it will contain no male genes and will produce only female seeds.
Also interesting to note that I believe self pollinated plants in general do exhibit limited genetic variation. So I would assume that although feminised seed are not exact clones of the parent plant they would be so similar as to exhibit no noticeable variation except over many generations.
I would suggest growing several plants at any time and select seeds from the favored plant (the one with big fat buds that make you feel great.)
WIN-WIN SITUATION ALL ROUND :)

Please feel free to correct me and provide better info if you've got it.

The other option I few guys I knew said they were doing was to let one plant continue past maturity and eventually it produced a few male flower, self pollinated and produced a few nice big seeds.
Never did it myself or actually witnessed it but had chopped up friends buds many times to discover a few big fat seed in the middle of it.

Back
Top Bottom