Soil for auto flowers?

KingTweezy

What's the best soil to use for auto flowers?

Im leaning towards ProMix HP 2.2....

Any other suggestions?

What type of nutrients or anything for that matter that you put with them?

There is a search thingy on the upper right side of the page. Click there and search things like "best soil for auto's" and "best nutes for auto's. That will give you more then enough great information, more then you could even need.

I have heard and seen some great grows from ProMix. Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy Frog are two other common ones people use. Or make your own there are some amazing recipes on this site, again the search key. Happy growing my friend!!

What's the best soil to use for auto flowers?

Im leaning towards ProMix HP 2.2....

Any other suggestions?

What type of nutrients or anything for that matter that you put with them?

Hi KingTweezy.

Let me start by saying I dont know anything about ProMix HP 2.2, or pretty much any other soil. I am a new grower and have only just started my first journal growing autoflowers and using FoxFarms Happy Frog soil. So, feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt. haha I will tell you the reason I chose Fox Farms Happy Frog over Fox Farms Ocean Forest. As I was reading about soils, it became my understanding that Ocean Forest is "hotter" or more nutrient rich than Happy Frog. The seedlings in particular struggle with the hotter soil and can become burnt. By the same token, the more mature plants like the Ocean Forest best. Perhaps when you read about the different soils and your options you will come to a different conclusion.

My suggestion is that you go visit the Grow Journals and find some that feature autoflowers and soil, with whatever type of lighting you will be using. Look to see what soil they are using. Find out if they had problems with the soil they chose. Find out if they plan to use the same method again or change. Dont forget to read some of the completed journals, too. Many members use pre mixed soil, while others mix their own. Some members use natural drenches and teas and other use bottled nutrients.

Good luck in your grow. :blushsmile:

A reply from a fellow member is always best!

Thank you Sorenna, I am now changing to Fox Farms as they have a wonderful selection of things to choose from all made from the same brand. Exactly how I wanted it.

I know searching is still beneficial and will still use.

Brother, I cannot say enough about Roots Organic soil... 1.5cu ft for $17ea is so cheap and has great foods for Auto Flowering strains in it like guano's... I ran out last grow and had to buy locally vs driving an hour to the hydro store.. so I bought a cheap soil and added peat to it. The one plant in the new mix is always sick while the others are thriving... along with the Roots soil I invested in their line of foods, also organic.. Roots Organic Buddha Bloom, Grow, Trinity, HPK & HP2 and added OregonismXL to add micro organisms to the soil mix early on.. I cannot say enough good about this stuff... I also found you have to feed so different with auto's.. light handed start to finish, usually at half strength. no foods until after they sex or 2wks growth.. no flowering foods before flowering like I would photo period and light cycles... I start at 20/4 and end with 20/4 running 18/6 in the middle only to save power as I'm cheap... but you can run the 20/4 start to finish as some do, but never 12/12... they will stretch and not like it much... did it my 1st AF grow, then did research... lol.

hope I helped, check my thread for my BubbleguN strain of AK47 x Sour60... peace

Just got my auto white widow seeds (royal queen seeds) in. Working on setting up the tent and getting everything ready to start these. I decided to go with fox farm happy frog. Last grow was photoperiod seed and I used fox farm ocean forest but that soils seems to be too "hot" for the critical autos. Looking forward to this grow with my 300 watt 11 spectrum led light.

I was thinking about getting some Fox Farms Ocean Forest and then filling like the bottom 2 inches with that. Then put an empty solo cup in the center and fill Ocean Forest around the cup. Hopefully, I could pull the cup out and fill in the hole with Happy Frog. This way the seedling gets Happy Frog to start and Ocean Forest later, when its roots find it and when it is older. Just something Ive been thinking about.

I was thinking about getting some Fox Farms Ocean Forest and then filling like the bottom 2 inches with that. Then put an empty solo cup in the center and fill Ocean Forest around the cup. Hopefully, I could pull the cup out and fill in the hole with Happy Frog. This way the seedling gets Happy Frog to start and Ocean Forest later, when its roots find it and when it is older. Just something Ive been thinking about.
I like the idea. I am new to autos so I would be interested in hearing what others think of that approach

My recommendation is to use pro mix bx or other green house mix avoid any thing with added nutes , add in some extra perlite and organic compost with worm castings that will give you the basic soil organic type grow , if you want to use salt based nutes stick to just the bx pro and perlite then feed 1/4 strength max starting week 4 no earlier best of luck , it is my experience that a fully living organic is the most forgiving method yealds may not be as much but quality and taste is there especially for beginners

Back
Top Bottom