AF & hermie newbie questions

crazycatlady

AF Early Miss from CropKingSeeds. I have grown her out and thank heaven she hermied. (yes I wanted that to happen) When will I know the seeds are mature and can be harvested? When can I use the seeds and will I do any damage to them if I put them if I put them in an airlocked (hermetic) seal?

I thought it was not good to use hermie seeds. Im new but have been studying a few months. I personally would not use them.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using 420

I am on my second grow from hermied seeds from. I had 3 Jack Herrer and 1 revolver in the tent. One of my Jacks went hermie.....(So thankful as I, too, hoped for this)....and pollinated all 4 plants. I did not get a huge amount of seeds, but probably enough for the rest of my life if I just wanted to stick to only Jack.
So far I have grown 6 of my own seeds over 2 different grows. one of them Jack Herrer, the other were all Jacks Revolver. They are lively and very healthy.

What actually happened is my Early Miss went male, not hermie. Had to kill it. I am trying again with three Early Miss. Two look almost ready for harvest and the third is still chugging along. No signs of hermie.

how did you get it to hermie? Did you just let it grow past its prime? From what I have read just let it grow until the seeds are practically falling out. You can use them at anytime . (again from reading)
I also want to do this and was hoping for some info.
I was planning on harvesting most of my plant as normal (maybe cutting off the tops) but letting the rest grow and grow hoping she will hermie so I can make some feminized seed.

What I have learned:

You can hermie by stressing, ie light fluctuation, putting thumb tacks in it, little water, heat, cold, etc. Then what you do once it hermied is take that pollen before it breaks open and save it for another plant. if it self pollinates you stand a good chance that the seeds will simply create hermies and you won't get your bud. Take the pollen from plant a and save it for plant b so you will get feminized seed with a much smaller chance of hermies.

how did you get it to hermie? Did you just let it grow past its prime? From what I have read just let it grow until the seeds are practically falling out. You can use them at anytime . (again from reading)
I also want to do this and was hoping for some info.
I was planning on harvesting most of my plant as normal (maybe cutting off the tops) but letting the rest grow and grow hoping she will hermie so I can make some feminized seed.

Certain plants will be predisposed to hermie. It seems that MOST of the seeds that came from my original hermie the actual plant that went hermie), can also be easily hermied by starting under cfl and switching abruptly to LED.

When I want to generate new seeds, I will start 3 of the original JH seeds and if they hermie, I will place the strain I want to pollinate infront of the hermies, with the fans behind them. This blows a good bit of pollen onto the one I want to cross.

When I want to generate new seeds, I will start 3 of the original JH seeds and if they hermie, I will place the strain I want to pollinate infront of the hermies, with the fans behind them. This blows a good bit of pollen onto the one I want to cross.

Appreciated the responses. But I would not want to pollinate my entire room. Have 4 plants budding.
I just want to get some seeds for now and I am not going to pollinate all my buds.
And you said "IF" they hermie. I have 6 plants and just 4 seeds left. 4 plants are 6 weeks old, 2 are a week old. That leaves me 4 seeds to plant- I want to have 2 plants mature every other month or so.
That should be enough. But I would like to get some pollen now for the next batch of plants.

When my first buds are ready I plan on harvesting most of them.
I will then leave just a few lower leaves/ buds/ branches and try to stress the rest of the plant (hopefully by cutting/harvesting it, it will hermie, or if that does not work cutting the light by moving it?) and try to get some male flowers that way. I am experimenting as I go, my first grow in a long long time, but I have 4 super healthy plants after 6 weeks, every seed I have planted has germinated. Gave a plant away, as I really only wanted to do two plants at a time to stagger the harvest time. So my first harvest will be a big one.

having interesting problems just uploading a pic to this site. should not be this hard to do.

Seeds created by natural hermaphroditism are bad, and should not be used, as the trait will most likely be passed on to the progeny.
"Feminized" seeds are created by chemical reaction via silver thiosulfate (STS) or by using colloidal silver.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Seeds created by natural hermaphroditism are bad, and should not be used, as the trait will most likely be passed on to the progeny.
"Feminized" seeds are created by chemical reaction via silver thiosulfate (STS) or by using colloidal silver.

I don't think I understand the difference it would make.
Either way you are making a female plant produce male parts due to a stressful event. Whether it be heat, light or chemical. The plant thinks it is going to die so it wants to reproduce as a last resort and makes some male parts.
But I think the hermaphrodite trait would need to be breed in. Using the pollen to breed itself. Maybe over and over.
What I'm trying to do is not make a hermaphrodite plant but a monoecious plant, a plant that has both seperate male and female flowers, but is obviously a female. There is a difference. And Schtiggy did say to pollinate another plant. I can't see how this would be "bad". So we should get females as both parents are females. I actually think this is the best way, (no results yet to back it up , only research) and I know silver is both time consuming and toxic.
I just want some pollen without destroying my harvest. But I think my idea has a good chance.

This would actually be more of an opinion than a fact. I like getting new seeds from my hermies and crosses and have grown many plants from Hermie seeds. Unless you step in and make the situation much larger than it would naturally be you are likely to get only a few seeds from a hermie. There is nothing wrong with the buds either. If you have a predictable set of seeds that will produce 2 hermies out of every 4 planted, this means you can ensure a lifetime of seeds as well as creating your own crosses.

Appreciated the responses. But I would not want to pollinate my entire room. Have 4 plants budding.
I just want to get some seeds for now and I am not going to pollinate all my buds.
And you said "IF" they hermie. I have 6 plants and just 4 seeds left. 4 plants are 6 weeks old, 2 are a week old. That leaves me 4 seeds to plant- I want to have 2 plants mature every other month or so.
That should be enough. But I would like to get some pollen now for the next batch of plants.

When my first buds are ready I plan on harvesting most of them.
I will then leave just a few lower leaves/ buds/ branches and try to stress the rest of the plant (hopefully by cutting/harvesting it, it will hermie, or if that does not work cutting the light by moving it?) and try to get some male flowers that way. I am experimenting as I go, my first grow in a long long time, but I have 4 super healthy plants after 6 weeks, every seed I have planted has germinated. Gave a plant away, as I really only wanted to do two plants at a time to stagger the harvest time. So my first harvest will be a big one.

having interesting problems just uploading a pic to this site. should not be this hard to do.

LET ME know how this works. It is only MY opinion, but I think you will be way too late in the game to produce viable seeds. I have tried to hermie many of my grows, but things like light stress and physical attack are also a big "If".

I don't think I understand the difference it would make.
Either way you are making a female plant produce male parts due to a stressful event. Whether it be heat, light or chemical. The plant thinks it is going to die so it wants to reproduce as a last resort and makes some male parts.
But I think the hermaphrodite trait would need to be breed in. Using the pollen to breed itself. Maybe over and over.
What I'm trying to do is not make a hermaphrodite plant but a monoecious plant, a plant that has both seperate male and female flowers, but is obviously a female. There is a difference. And Schtiggy did say to pollinate another plant. I can't see how this would be "bad". So we should get females as both parents are females. I actually think this is the best way, (no results yet to back it up , only research) and I know silver is both time consuming and toxic.
I just want some pollen without destroying my harvest. But I think my idea has a good chance.

Colloidal Silver is actually a medication so any toxic properties are very easily mitigated. There is a grower that follows Beast27 auto topping threads...can't remember his name for anything right now..it may start with an X...but he used colloidal silver a few months back
and produced a beautiful pile of seeds. I have a bunch of seeds from a cross I made between CKS Jack Herrer auto and Revolver auto...I call it Lilly Jack...These are the largest and most vigorous seeds I have. This would be an F1...while a self pollinated plant would be an S1. In my experience, crossed seeds are stronger than S1.

Edit: his name may be Xeno

AF & hermie newbie questions

This would actually be more of an opinion than a fact. I like getting new seeds from my hermies and crosses and have grown many plants from Hermie seeds. Unless you step in and make the situation much larger than it would naturally be you are likely to get only a few seeds from a hermie. There is nothing wrong with the buds either. If you have a predictable set of seeds that will produce 2 hermies out of every 4 planted, this means you can ensure a lifetime of seeds as well as creating your own crosses.

No, it's fact.
For reference, ask any professional breeder if they'd do anything but immediately cull hermies. Not a single one would. Ever. This is what pros call "pissing in the gene pool."
Hermaphroditism is a wholly unfavorable trait in non-hemp cannabis, it's not even arguable for sake of discussion. It's a trait exactly 99.99999999% of growers (minus you, apparently) avoid like the plague because it absolutely ruins gardens to scale.
(Sure you're you can run a microgarden with meh genetics, but why would you?)
Note: Seeds do not exhibit an easily "predictable" ratio when it comes to reversal sensitivity. There's never a "sprout 4/get 2 that suck" absolute ratio, and nobody needs to play that kind of roulette anyhow.
You can "ensure a lifetime of (crap, unstable) seeds" by using (crap, unstable) genetics, but in this day and age there's absolutely no reason for that.

-Doc

Re: AF & hermie newbie questions

No, it's fact.
For reference, ask any professional breeder if they'd do anything but immediately cull hermies. Not a single one would. Ever. This is what pros call "pissing in the gene pool."
Hermaphroditism is a wholly unfavorable trait in non-hemp cannabis, it's not even arguable for sake of discussion. It's a trait exactly 99.99999999% of growers (minus you, apparently) avoid like the plague because it absolutely ruins gardens to scale.
(Sure you're you can run a microgarden with meh genetics, but why would you?)
Note: Seeds do not exhibit an easily "predictable" ratio when it comes to reversal sensitivity. There's never a "sprout 4/get 2 that suck" absolute ratio, and nobody needs to play that kind of roulette anyhow.
You can "ensure a lifetime of (crap, unstable) seeds" by using (crap, unstable) genetics, but in this day and age there's absolutely no reason for that.

-Doc

Again, just YOUR opinion. Do you throw away all of your buds with seeds. I have not missed a day of smoking since feb 1996. There is NOTHING wrong with a Hermie.

If you are a professional grower....maybe. If you are a new grower I caution you not to let all this "sensi" bull shit and all of the tricks and huge yields you see here get into your head.
I pull about 13 oz from every 4 plant run. I know how to grow.

Colloidal Silver is actually a medication so any toxic properties are very easily mitigated. There is a grower that follows Beast27 auto topping threads...can't remember his name for anything right now..it may start with an X...but he used colloidal silver a few months back
and produced a beautiful pile of seeds. I have a bunch of seeds from a cross I made between CKS Jack Herrer auto and Revolver auto...I call it Lilly Jack...These are the largest and most vigorous seeds I have. This would be an F1...while a self pollinated plant would be an S1. In my experience, crossed seeds are stronger than S1.

Edit: his name may be Xeno

An F1 hybrid is two wholly unlike plants, (i.e. land race indica and sativas) that when crossed create homogeneous offspring that are an almost perfect blend of both P1 parents. The cross you're referring to above is called a "poly-hybrid" which, although not bad, is very unstable and prone to wide and varying expressions of phenotype. Great for "unicorn hunting" but not good at all for breeding purposes.

Colloidal silver is wholly inferior to STS (silver thiosulfate)
for selfing plants, but it does work. However, I despise "feminized" seeds and feel they're a blight on the community. (I'm sure I'll touch on that at a later date lol)

-Doc

An F1 hybrid is two wholly unlike plants, (i.e. land race indica and sativas) that when crossed create homogeneous offspring that are an almost perfect blend of both P1 parents. The cross you're referring to above is called a "poly-hybrid" which, although not bad, is very unstable and prone to wide and varying expressions of phenotype. Great for "unicorn hunting" but not good at all for breeding purposes.

Colloidal silver is wholly inferior to STS (silver thiosulfate)
for selfing plants, but it does work. However, I despise "feminized" seeds and feel they're a blight on the community. (I'm sure I'll touch on that at a later date lol)

-Doc

Listen Doc...just cuz I'm having that kind of day I will tell you. You are the last thing in the world a new grower needs. If you want to bog yourself down with all this shit...feel free. A new grower need to be smoking his weed in 3 months, not tearing down and selling his set up because he is WAAAAAY too new to understand this shit.

I grow my own weed. None of it has ever left my house and I get plenty high on ALL OF IT. Get it? I don't care if I have a few seeds. I am just glad that I don't have to expose myself to the risk of purchasing more. You may do new growers a favor....by focusing your efforts on improving the grows of the PROFESSIONALS. My efforts are entirely geared toward helping Noobs.

Re: AF & hermie newbie questions

Again, just YOUR opinion. Do you throw away all of your buds with seeds. I have not missed a day of smoking since feb 1996. There is NOTHING wrong with a Hermie.

If you are a professional grower....maybe. If you are a new grower I caution you not to let all this "sensi" bull shit and all of the tricks and huge yields you see here get into your head.
I pull about 13 oz from every 4 plant run. I know how to grow.

I am a professional.
As to "huge yields", well, that's dependent on many things-there's certainly no "voodoo" to it. Just math, science, and intuition gained with experience. And sometimes a bit of luck. 1g/watt+ with good nutes/enviro/genetics et al isn't any sort of fantasy.
And new growers who forgo science and listen to baseless homeopathic theories couched in fear and rhetoric are doomed to have less than mediocre results, as well as lots of time wasted re-learning to do things the right way.

Back
Top Bottom