The New Autoflower Topping Thread

I've had so much inspiration and guidance from fellow growers here regarding topping autoflower plants. Although It's not an exact science it can be done and can bring huge yields. Every autoflower strain is different and therefore hard to judge how long a veg period they'll have. For instance, I've had some show pistils by day 20 and some who haven't started flower until week 6 or 7. It's a relative when it comes to topping autos. It's very important to know your strain and it's possible length of vegetation in order to confidently top them in their seedling stage as the 4th node clears enough space to do the deed.
I've got lots of experience with many strains of autos and the training involved with getting a good yielding plant. So with that said I want to open up the discussion and hope we can continue the auto topping adventure. Please feel free to leave examples and ask questions if you are in need of answers or guidance. I will, to the best of my ability, keep up with this thread and help out where I can. You all know me for my extensive auto training, so don't be shy to ask for help.
:circle-of-love:

KiG Everyone :green_heart:Cheers

Here's a few examples of my latest auto grow. Like I mentioned, I have grown many autos in my journey with 420mag. Each is different, but always a joy to train them the way YOU want.

Before
20161024_150651.jpg

After
20170106_100143.jpg

20170106_100152.jpg

Before
20161024_150705.jpg

After
20170106_100530.jpg

20170106_100539.jpg

Before
20161024_150717.jpg

After
20170106_100800.jpg

20170106_100806.jpg

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Edit: I almost forgot to show off my ultimate auto trainee, topped and fluxed to the max. Here's my award winning Leialoha from my second grow...
20160510_2006553.jpg

20160510_1444222.jpg

Im interested in doing 1 or 2 autos while im vegging my photos. I grew a Bubble Yum that i topped at the 3rd node. First time topping an auto so not much to compare the yield too. Itll will be interesting to see what others are doing.

Keep em frosty ya'll

Can't wait to see some examples of your future topping adventures. I'd like this thread to be as resourceful as the original auto topping thread. Many folks will come to get informed about how and when to top autos. Glad you made it Pennywise, I hope you have great results. Thank you,

KIG :green_heart:

Here and ready to learn. I've topped a few auto's with great success, and others without. Good genetics are the most important thing when it comes to the stability of topping an auto strain :thumb:

Here is a Fast Buds Pineapple Express Auto that went 55 days and yielded just over 2 oz. Topped at 10 days and LST'd her to keep her below 12"

420-magazine-mobile882618051.jpg

I need a little guidance from the community. I started my first journal here 2 wks back when my girls broke ground. When should I top my autos? Cherry Bomb is at 14 days above. I have 4 sets of true leaves. Safe to say I should top her in 3-4 days when that 5th set establishes itself?? (She's smushed a little from the pony-tailing I've been doing the past couple days)
420-magazine-mobile285920244.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1195938298.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Yea, all 3 Im running in my journal are autos. I just didn't wanna top too early or too late. Im thinking Sunday or Monday (day 16-17). Take a look at my journal and lemme know if I've missed anything or if theres anything i can improve on. .

It's looks like she's ready to be topped Askhole, I Top as soon as the forth node is clear enough to get snippers in there to do the deed. With autos it needs to be done by day 21 at the latest, usually right around day 14. It depends on the strain and grow conditions but most are done at the two week mark. If you can get the snippers in, then it's time. Post a pic once you've chopped that top off, steady hands make things easier in tight spots. Goodluck Askhole, you'll do great!

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Ok I'm on day 74 with my unknown auto flower. So I have no idea how long she is going to take to finish up. But I've toped her at the 4 mode now she is a monster. I would love to know my strain. Any help would b amazing. It kinda smells like piss or skunkie any ideas hers a few pics
420-magazine-mobile140831110.jpg
420-magazine-mobile623024433.jpg
420-magazine-mobile983349235.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1728845758.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1233407104.jpg
also any help with how much longer till I should flush my schedule says 3 week then two weeks flush

Holy trichs on leaf stems Batman!!

Looks great Icemann! 5 weeks looks to be about on par with where you are at now. Predicting auto's is difficult because they all mature a little differently, and seldom reflect estimated breeder finishing times.

Oh, and no way to tell the strain brother, but she does look to have a bit of Sativa dominance in her, so she might push that 5 weeks a little longer.

:thumb:

I'm here for the learning & absorbing info like nutrients.
...❤️
Welcome my dear, hope you found a desk up front of the class. Glad to have your positivity here and everywhere. :circle-of-love:

Holy trichs on leaf stems Batman!!

Looks great Icemann! 5 weeks looks to be about on par with where you are at now. Predicting auto's is difficult because they all mature a little differently, and seldom reflect estimated breeder finishing times.

Oh, and no way to tell the strain brother, but she does look to have a bit of Sativa dominance in her, so she might push that 5 weeks a little longer.

:thumb:
Couldn't agree more, we'll said :Namaste:

KiG :green_heart:

I knew it was still a while to go. She is super sticky. Lol wish I knew how to defoliate better I just don't wanna stress her. She is 3ftx3ftx25 inches

I didnt trim too much off my last auto, i did do a lot of tucking though. Maybe someone with more experience will have a better answer.

Keep em frosty ya'll

I knew it was still a while to go. She is super sticky. Lol wish I knew how to defoliate better I just don't wanna stress her. She is 3ftx3ftx25 inches

I wouldn't trim much off her at this stage in the game. 5 weeks into flower is usually a good time to do a final defoliation, but over stressing this late in flower could cause a shift in hormone production and risk hermie or stunted bud development.

Back
Top Bottom