Hermie?

Mr G

mj121.jpg
mj17.jpg
Tell me it ain't so...Also, it's in the same space as a female seedling, is that O.K.?
wd1.jpg

Do you see more?
Yes, more than one site they've appeared. I'm appx. 17 days into 12/12 flowering. I've got two other feminised seedlings {9 days & 6 days old} in the same space. Is there any reason to continue growing this plant? Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks to all who offered advice. Here "it" is, after I trimmed it up {just wanted to see the structure better}, and before getting tossed.
mj141.jpg

Nice looking plant. Good structure for sure. I totally agree with obxgardener. Kill all hermies. Unless it's your only plant.

Good luck with the rest!

:peace:

Well, I took my own advice and killed the hermies. Caught three of the buggers. I knew about one and planned on keeping an eye on it and let the buds get a little bigger before I killed it. Then I found two more so out with the knife and down they go!

Oh well. More light and food for the survivors.

Die Hermies Die!!!!

Hermies_2.jpg

Some Pro Points for Keeping a hermie.

Since the hermies aren't your only plants...

I am going to break from the ranks here and suggest if you get another Hermie to think about keeping it.

Everyone always automatically says to kill all hermies... but there is a value to you keeping your Hermie. You obviously went out and purchased some feminized seeds of a particular strain of weed you like.

Any seeds your Hermie makes will produce feminzed seeds, if you take those seeds and place them in a vial, and place that vial inside another container with a screw top cap and put the vial and some silica or rice in the back of the frig crisper... you can store those seeds for years.

I grew a light induced Hermie from my clone only strain... I managed to not contaminate any other plants in the flowering room.

From my batch of plants... I chose a plant to Hermie.

Once the plant started exhibiting signs of becoming a Hermie I stopped the light stress as it was no longer required.

I then constructed a "Separation Chamber" which was 3ft clear plastic tube and put the Hermie in that.

take a 4 x 8 very flexible plastic sheet - I just happened to have one. I don't remember where I got it, probably home depot or Lowe's.

I rolled it into a 3' diameter tube and taped it together and just plopped it over the hermie... I didn't bother covering it to allow from some passive air exchange

I put the Hermie at the edge of garden for easy access.

I would look daily at the male parts and collected the pollen and started pollinating the female flowers. I did this over the course of a week as the male flowers matured.

To access the plant chamber I simply turned off all airflow in the room and lifted the tube - I only did this during pollination.

Once I was done pollinating, I cut off the remaining male parts - some more continued to develop, but it was minimal.

Anyway.. after waiting for a few days after the last hand pollination - giving the pollenation time to take - I started misting the plant at lights on/off to keep help keep any new pollen down and away from the other plants - i did this for a couple of weeks.

anyway... my efforts paid off as I now have a well over 100 seeds - all of which should be feminized.

I mean... you might as well get something positive and the only thing of value for your efforts of growing that plant...

Re: Some Pro Points for Keeping a hermie.

Hi StormChaos

There are some differences here.

I grew a light induced Hermie from my clone only strain... I managed to not contaminate any other plants in the flowering room.

These hermies were not light induced, a method that will do as you described. These were unstressed female plants that popped out male flowers in the early stages of flowering and will only produce seeds carrying the hermie trait. When forcing a truly female plant to produce male flowers it does not carry the hermie trait because it wasn't a herm to start with and will produce fem seed even when bred with a different true female. The seeds I have were given to me by a ex-grower and were likely the product of a hermie. Three hermies out of 28 plants is pretty good as the other 25 are all girls. I'll be keeping an eye on the rest as odds are there could be others pop up. Another way to get fem pollen is to keep some growth on a girl after harvest and keep her in flowering mode. Male flowers forced this way are fem too.

If I had a male in the tub I likely would have had to leave him there. To collect pollen without getting my girls knocked up I would take a paper bag, tape a plastic window in it, pick out a branch with lots of flowers and cover it with the bag with a twist tie to close the bottom. Then I would cut off everything else from the plant. The paper bag keeps the pollen in and lets the branch breathe while the window lets you see inside. Once the flowers have opened, cut off the branch with the bag intact and go elsewhere to remove the pollen to a light-tight container. Then using a little paint brush or Q-Tip I go dust lower buds on the plant I want to breed and tie a twist tie around the dusted branches. 3-5 weeks and the seeds are ripe and the rest of the plant can be harvested or regenerated. If regeneration is desired, as soon as harvest is over flip the lights back to veg and by the time the seeds are ripe the plant is starting new growth and ready for another go-round.

I've still got over 100 of these Kush seeds and lots of other beans as well. Some seeds are from the late '70s from my earliest grows under fluorescents. Thai Stick ring a bell? Crossed with a nice Hawaiian sativa. Yummy! I think it's time to see if I can get any to germinate. Some nice old land race genetics in those vials somewhere. I wonder how they'd perform with today's methods. Makes me go . . . Hmmmmmm.

So let me see if I understand this correctly....

Because the hermie was naturally occuring from your fem seed stock, all pollen that your hemies produces will be "contaminated" with the hermie gene?

Let me bounce this idea off you and see what you think of it, as you apparently know alot more about breeding than me.

What I am planning on doing is growing my fem seeds and selecting plants that have the growth characteristics that I am looking for (just like mom)--- I am making the assumption that the traits will all vary slightly or maybe greatlly.. once selected I will force them to male flower again and taking that pollen and crossing it back to my original clone.

I am hoping this will give me alot more of fem seeds that are closer to the original clone.....

So let me see if I understand this correctly....

Because the hermie was naturally occuring from your fem seed stock, all pollen that your hemies produces will be "contaminated" with the hermie gene?

Everything I've read on the subject says so and I've had this problem before. The seeds I have aren't "Fem" seeds per se but are the progeny of a hermie and itself and/or other females. They will be predominately female but carry the hermaphroditic gene. Some will only be carriers of the gene but some will be full blown hermies. I think I'm lucky so far that only three have developed male flowers. That's not to say that there may not be more on the way.

What I am planning on doing is growing my fem seeds and selecting plants that have the growth characteristics that I am looking for (just like mom)--- I am making the assumption that the traits will all vary slightly or maybe greatlly.. once selected I will force them to male flower again and taking that pollen and crossing it back to my original clone.

That should give you real Fem seeds but not all the seeds are going to be like your original clone. Any time you take millions of genes and mix them all up it's still a crap shoot and every seed will grow a plant different than the next. Many in very subtle ways. But take any ten seeds like the ones you want and grow them under the same conditions and statistically you'll have 50% looking much the same, with 25% alike but different and another 25% also much like the 50% but different. This is off the top of my head so I may be blowing smoke up yer kilt but I'm pretty sure it's like that. Even the plants that look the same will have invisible differences like smell, node configuration, resistance to disease etc etc. If you breed like the pros do it takes 6 or 7 generations to get a stable cross or F1. I like the variety you get from the same strain when you grow from F2 seed.

There's plenty of info on breeding around here somewhere in this massive library of cannabis information and plenty of people that know way more about it than I. That's about my limit there and I wouldn't bet my life that it's 100%.

It's fun tho, making your own beans. "It's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

Everything I've read on the subject says so and I've had this problem before. The seeds I have aren't "Fem" seeds per se but are the progeny of a hermie and itself and/or other females. They will be predominately female but carry the hermaphroditic gene. Some will only be carriers of the gene but some will be full blown hermies. I think I'm lucky so far that only three have developed male flowers. That's not to say that there may not be more on the way.

That should give you real Fem seeds but not all the seeds are going to be like your original clone. Any time you take millions of genes and mix them all up it's still a crap shoot and every seed will grow a plant different than the next. Many in very subtle ways. But take any ten seeds like the ones you want and grow them under the same conditions and statistically you'll have 50% looking much the same, with 25% alike but different and another 25% also much like the 50% but different. This is off the top of my head so I may be blowing smoke up yer kilt but I'm pretty sure it's like that. Even the plants that look the same will have invisible differences like smell, node configuration, resistance to disease etc etc. If you breed like the pros do it takes 6 or 7 generations to get a stable cross or F1. I like the variety you get from the same strain when you grow from F2 seed.

There's plenty of info on breeding around here somewhere in this massive library of cannabis information and plenty of people that know way more about it than I. That's about my limit there and I wouldn't bet my life that it's 100%.

It's fun tho, making your own beans. "It's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

Rat,
Damn good info, Thanks for saving me the entire night figuring out what to do with the hermie I just discovered. I am glad I read this before I chopped it. Although my hermies future is not looking bright, I am feeling better about deciding it. -LoDo

Back
Top Bottom