My Bud's Are Thin After 10 Weeks of 12/12

jebfisher

I really need some help. The major problem I'm having is that my Bud's are coming out so thin. I was growing Indica and Sativa. Just some girls I kept after planting 10 bag weed seeds.

The first time I grew I put them under 400 Watt HPS 12/12 for 8 1/2 weeks. The buds came out super thin. I then cloned and got another batch. After they got mature enough to put in the budding room, I then waited until I saw hairs and started counting the bud weeks from there. i let them go all the way until 10 weeks this time and both sative and indica are still super thin.

The 400 watt HPS I have is from an old barn light that I hooked up in the house and it has a 400 hps bulb. old fashioned but still good and super bright. I water regularly and keep up on nutrients at proper intervals, test ph and adjust as necessary. I use a timer for lighting and everything. What the heck am I doing wrong. What exactly are they suppose to feel like when they are almost done; really hard or soft and sticky. Please help as I'm completely lost.

They look excellent when i'm vegging though. Somebody, please respond and offer help. What am I doing wrong.

I don't know, but I'll take a stab at it. Bulbs get old and lose strength. How are you referencing "super bright"? For the cost of the electricity you may do better with ten 42 watt or eight 55 watt CFLs.

Do you have ventilation and a fan for the plants? What is the temperature range?

Have you ever seen these seeds grown out other than your two attempts? It could just be genetics. If the clones came from one plant and that plant was a thin-budded sativa-leaning phenotype, that's what you got.

Were the seeds all from one bag (sativa/indica cross), or did you have specific sativa seeds and specific indica seeds? If they're different, did the plants have different leaf shapes and growth habits?

Soil or hydro? What nutrients? I'm just trying to think what someone that can really help you might need to know.

Good luck. Pictures would help.

I don't know, but I'll take a stab at it. Bulbs get old and lose strength. How are you referencing "super bright"? For the cost of the electricity you may do better with ten 42 watt or eight 55 watt CFLs.

Do you have ventilation and a fan for the plants? What is the temperature range?

Have you ever seen these seeds grown out other than your two attempts? It could just be genetics. If the clones came from one plant and that plant was a thin-budded sativa-leaning phenotype, that's what you got.

Were the seeds all from one bag (sativa/indica cross), or did you have specific sativa seeds and specific indica seeds? If they're different, did the plants have different leaf shapes and growth habits?

Soil or hydro? What nutrients? I'm just trying to think what someone that can really help you might need to know.

Good luck. Pictures would help.

I do have good ventilation and good temperature. All of the seeds came from different bags of weed. I cloned the second batch from the first. I belive it's the genetics because the temp and everything was good and I used soil. I got the seeds from different batches of weed. While picking out the most viable seeds, there were many undeveloped ones in there so I'm thinking they didn't get to go full term and the ones I planted were good enought develop a plant but not good enough to do everything necessary to fully develop. I basically just grew some seeds in pots. After I saw some female pistils, I threw away the boys and cloned the girls. I've been cloning since. It smokes really good and gets me high but its just so darn thin. I want to continue growing but this is not what I expected from growing. I'm still a novicce and follow all directions on growing as best I can. I even have the cannabis grow bible and have read it more than 10 times. It has to be the genetics. What do you think could cause thin buds?

Is it an "up" high? What you're describing may just be a very sativa dominant plant, tending toward wispy buds and long colas. Are the leaves thin or wide? You've can compare the difference on this site in many journals. If thin / thready the plant is probably sativa dominant; wide leaves = indica with denser buds and bushier plants.

An HPS barn light is not the same as an HPS grow light, different lumen output and different color spectrum. You need to invest in a real HPS grow light, a light deficiency will always result in thin buds and they will be considerably smaller when dried. How many plants are you trying to flower with 400w? You said 10 seeds originally but how many made it, all ? FreakNature is correct too, if it is a highly Sativa plant it will be taller and the internodal spacing won't be as tight as an Indica strain. Hope you get a decent yield in any event, good luck Philosher.

I agree with zodiak not all hids are the same your using the electricty anyway. you need a grow bulb try e bay or hgs you can find cheap new bulbs at either place. Stay away from craigs list bulbs dont look used but can have a signifcant loss in output . But if your budget wont allow new a used grow light is better than a parking lot light :) good luck my friend and happy growing

Is it an "up" high? What you're describing may just be a very sativa dominant plant, tending toward wispy buds and long colas. Are the leaves thin or wide? You've can compare the difference on this site in many journals. If thin / thready the plant is probably sativa dominant; wide leaves = indica with denser buds and bushier plants.

In the most recent harvest, 1 plant was pure sativa and smelled like some fire weed and the other two were pure indica and didn't have that weed smell at all. I can smoke both and get completely f'd up but the thin aspect is really bothering me.

An HPS barn light is not the same as an HPS grow light, different lumen output and different color spectrum. You need to invest in a real HPS grow light, a light deficiency will always result in thin buds and they will be considerably smaller when dried. How many plants are you trying to flower with 400w? You said 10 seeds originally but how many made it, all ? FreakNature is correct too, if it is a highly Sativa plant it will be taller and the internodal spacing won't be as tight as an Indica strain. Hope you get a decent yield in any event, good luck Philosher.

I was flowering 3 plants with the 400 watt hps. What I mean by thin is not the internodal spacing. I'm referring to the bud being able to be seen through. normally if i buy weed it's good, sticky, and thick. when i grow it, it's not, it's really thin super small buds that you can literally see through. No thickness at all.

So you believe it's the light I'm using. ?

:hmmmm:The Philosher, Hello. You are getting thin buds from both Sativa AND Indica Plants? That Pure Sativa you mention would take much longer than 10 weeks could use more time 12 even 16 weeks. And you are harvesting at right Trich color right?:scratchinghead:

Yeah Philosher I was just saying the node spacing is usually further apart on Sativas and that will create thin buds since there aren't enough nodes stacked to make a nice thick one. I still think it's mainly a light issue personally, 400w isn't too bad for 3 plants depending on how big they are. Do you rotate them so the concentrated light hits all areas of the plant ? Pictures would be key, I'm sure you would have a definitive answer within the hour if pics were included. Also as the weed asked, have you looked at the trichs yet ? Clear,Cloudy or Amber ?

:hmmmm:The Philosher, Hello. You are getting thin buds from both Sativa AND Indica Plants? That Pure Sativa you mention would take much longer than 10 weeks could use more time 12 even 16 weeks. And you are harvesting at right Trich color right?:scratchinghead:

the trichs were partly cloudy, never amber. I'll try to upload some pics. Since i'm new here I'll have to see how to do it.

At the top of any page click on the "Photo Gallery" button. Make sure your pics are under 1MB then upload them there. After that when you click on a single picture it will bring it up and at the bottom it has an area that says "Direct Link". Copy and paste that link into the box that comes up when you click on the little yellow button with mountains (triangles) on it in the reply box. Let me know if that confused ya, once you post your 1st pic its easy. If you never saw the trichs amber you were harvesting them too early in my opinion, I would wait until at least 50% were amber colored but that's me.

Right on the pics worked man. Yeah IMO definitely light deficiency, pretty skimpy for 10weeks. Like I said bro, that isn't a grow light, there are HPS bulbs for different functions and you simply need a grow bulb. Not only is your "barn light" not an HPS for growing it is used so it's not putting off the max lumens that it could which unfortunately would still prolly not be enough. The color spectrum on an HPS made for growing and an HPS made for general light production, i.e. outside a barn, is very different. If you can't afford anything more now then it'll have to do or invest in some cheap T5 fluros or something. Best of luck bro.

Right on the pics worked man. Yeah IMO definitely light deficiency, pretty skimpy for 10weeks. Like I said bro, that isn't a grow light, there are HPS bulbs for different functions and you simply need a grow bulb. Not only is your "barn light" not an HPS for growing it is used so it's not putting off the max lumens that it could which unfortunately would still prolly not be enough. The color spectrum on an HPS made for growing and an HPS made for general light production, i.e. outside a barn, is very different. If you can't afford anything more now then it'll have to do or invest in some cheap T5 fluros or something. Best of luck bro.

What does IMO stand for?

So basically, I do not need to replace the actually ballast, I only need to replace to bulb with a HPS grow bulb? The ballast is a 400wat HPS. I'm getting ready to upload a pic so you can see it.

Here are some pics of the light I used.

SANY2048.jpg
moreplants040.jpg
moreplants039.jpg

Here are pictures of the harvest

moreplants030.jpg

Merry Christmas-The Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

moreplants031.jpg
moreplants022.jpg

moreplants036.jpg
moreplants035.jpg

moreplants038.jpg

Let me know what you think do I need to just change the bulb to a grow light or the entire ballast?

Yep, from both indica and sativa, the buds are thin. I'm going to buy some white widow seeds and get them going once I figure out what I need to do to correct this issue. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing to get dense, thick, crazy buds so I do not waste my money.

Charlie Brown Christmas Tree LOL, funniest thing I've heard all week. IMO means "in my opinion" you will see a lot of that here. The one you have there looks to be an attached ballast and sometimes you can only use certain bulbs with a certain model of ballast even if they are both 400w. If you can find what HPS grow bulbs are compatible with that ballast you could purchase one of those bulbs, I just don't wanna say it's fine to do and then your house catches on fire or something. Putting a non-compatible bulb in a ballast that doesn't support it can cause fires, blown circuits etc.

Like The Weed said, I think those buds could use more time to finish up. They look like they missed out on a few weeks at the end where they could be fattening up. That and a better bulb would help. All in all, though, it looks like a good job growing, and a good harvest.

Back
Top Bottom