Green Lights And How Lights Effect Your Plants!

ledtester

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When light within a certain spectrum hits the surface of the plants chlorophyll receptors, it prompts a hormone called florigen to be produced.

Another hormone named antiflorigen is produced by flowering plants. The ratio between these two hormones is what causes a plant to flower or not.

In the plants leaves, another chemical named phytochrome that is necessary to react with florigen to produce flowers.

When the phytochrome within the leaves of a plant receive a duration of light that would be considered "short day light" by that exact plant, then the antiflorigen is repressed and the florigen is increased, thus causing the plant to start flowering.

If the duration of light of correct spectrum and intensity is interrupted from a "short day", anywhere within the "dark cycle", it causes the plant to again start producing antiflorigen. The ratio between the florigen and antiflorigen is altered and flowering will decrease or stop.

This switch between ratios of florigen and antiflorigen is stressful to the plant and can cause a sexual reversal from female to male or male to female.

The result in this light hormonal stress is usually seen as Hermaphrodites. The entire plant doesn't change sex, only part of it. It will be the part of the plant that has the largest response to the florigen/antiflorigen ratio alteration.

All flowering plants use this exact system of hormones and ratios in regard to flowering.

The amount of phytochrome within the leaves of a plant determine it's reaction to light. Some plants have more, some less. The health of the plant, nutrients and humidity all are factors that determine how much phytochrome exists.

If you take all of this information and relate it to each of your plants, you'll see that in regards to light interrupting a darkness cycle, many factors come into play.

Brief interruptions of low intensity may not be sufficient to cause the florigen/antiflorigen ratio to change enough to change the plants flowering in any visible way. It can however, cause a slowing of flower growth.

The best way to not affect this ratio of florigen/antiflorigen is to leave the flowering room completely dark for the entire darkness cycle. This makes it foolproof.

Any light of sufficient strength to be "seen" by the phytochrome receptors in the leaf will have an effect on the flowering.

Low light levels of the green spectrum may be low enough to NOT be received by the phytochrome receptors in any appreciable amount that would cause a negative alteration of the ratio between the florigen and antiflorigen.

If you have a plant that doesn't react to low level green light, then you've found a winner in the pot growing family. Of course, it may be slowing the flowering to a degree without you noticing without another test group to observe.

Here is a very good article about this subject from Botany Online:
Botany online: Plant Responses - Light - Photoperiodism - Stimulation of Flowering

you cant grow with green lights. chlorophyll does not absorb that wavelength

Green lights are used mostly during the flower cycle so you can work in your growroom without effecting the dark cycle because like LighTer said: "Chlorophyll does not absorb that wavelength" so essentially to the plant it's still dark even though you can see.

Green lights are used mostly during the flower cycle so you can work in your growroom without effecting the dark cycle because like LighTer said: "Chlorophyll does not absorb that wavelength" so essentially to the plant it's still dark even though you can see.

Thank you all for reading the post...LOL....My thought on this is why are you working in your room during lights out when you could have set the time for your room to be available when you are...LOL:peacetwo:

All light below 530nm used during your plants dark time will cause you girls to come out of flowering, and yes this includes 3/4 of the green spectrum..

Thank you all for reading the post...LOL....My thought on this is why are you working in your room during lights out when you could have set the time for your room to be available when you are...LOL:peacetwo:

Ya i feel ya on that. Kind of an in case of emergency thing.

All light below 530nm used during your plants dark time will cause you girls to come out of flowering, and yes this includes 3/4 of the green spectrum..

Then why do all videos ever made say that you can use green lights during the dark cycle of flower without any problems?

you cant grow with green lights. chlorophyll does not absorb that wavelength

i didnt think i would have to quote myself again guys. I took biology of higher plants last semester in university. green light (make sure it is heavily filtered to be safe) wont hurt your plants in dark period of flower cycle.

i didnt think i would have to quote myself again guys. I took biology of higher plants last semester in university. green light (make sure it is heavily filtered to be safe) wont hurt your plants in dark period of flower cycle.

Yes but the problem is many green lights are nothing more then coloured bulbs not emitting in the green spectrum. So which one's do you trust? And what's a filtered light?

well, any light you can get ahold of emits white light. this means light from all spectrums. so, in order for the light to be safe during dark cycle, you want to filter the light, from either green glass or green plastic. this makes sure any light passing through the material comes out at a certain wavelength safe for dark cycle of plants. using a 7up bottle, cut using 7 layers on top of each other is enough to filter the light. green cfls should be OK, but, using any light during dark cycle is a potential risk theoretically. but then again, at night the moon reflects back light from the sun. As long as the light as far as you can see emitting from the bulb is only green, then you should be safe.

EDIT: the main thing you want to do is avoid any red light hitting the plants.

well, any light you can get ahold of emits white light. this means light from all spectrums. so, in order for the light to be safe during dark cycle, you want to filter the light, from either green glass or green plastic. this makes sure any light passing through the material comes out at a certain wavelength safe for dark cycle of plants. using a 7up bottle, cut using 7 layers on top of each other is enough to filter the light. green cfls should be OK, but, using any light during dark cycle is a potential risk theoretically. but then again, at night the moon reflects back light from the sun. As long as the light as far as you can see emitting from the bulb is only green, then you should be safe.

I would stick with staying out...if you half to make a quick trip in or something a bic lighter will do...lol....otherwise I believe an LED your guaranteed green spectrum, unless you want to become diebetic trying to filtre light...lol

Then why do all videos ever made say that you can use green lights during the dark cycle of flower without any problems?

They are wrong...LOL ..... Give it a try you will see.. If the green light is very faint then it will take a little longer to make your girls re-veg.. But using a green incandescent light bulb for instance, your girls will re-veg in a relatively short time.. Try it, but don't say I didn't warn ya..

Red light (630nm and above) and Far Red light (730nm and above) is the only two spectrum I recommend using during your girls dark time.. And NO you don't need a filter for these two spectrums.

Red light (620nm and higher) is SLOWER then SID (Standard Indoor Darkness). However only 15min of red light at a time will not slow your girls down that much (if at all). But if you have red light on more then 15min at a time during your flowering dark time you will notice a slow down in flowering time.. i.e. It will start to add days to your flowering time.. But they will not re-veg..

Far red (730nm and higher) on the other hand can be found in SOD (Standard Outdoor Darkness) every night all night long.. Outdoor darkness is faster then indoor darkness because of the Far Red spectrum (730nm and higher) that exist outdoors at night.. Far Red is one of mother natures tricks. She speeds up the darkness outdoors witch allows more daylight to be used.. i.e. Most girls (indica and sativa) grown outdoors will be in full bloom using aprox 13hrs of daylight.. As a mater of fact my indica strain will be in full bloom outdoors under a 13.5/10.5 flowering schedule.. If I try that 13.5/10.5 schedule indoors without a far red spectrum on during my dark time my indica girls will not flower..

So ya try green light, but I would make sure you filter out any spectrum coming from the light below 530nm.

but then again, at night the moon reflects back light from the sun...

Yes, the light being reflected from the moon is FAR RED 730nm and higher..

Sorry, this statement is inaccurate... You should study the effects of red light on during your dark time.. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what red light can do for your girls during you dark time.

What this statement should of said is.. the main thing you want to do is avoid any BLUE light hitting the plants during the dark time...

Sorry, this statement is inaccurate... You should study the effects of red light on during your dark time.. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what red light can do for your girls during you dark time.

What this statement should of said is.. the main thing you want to do is avoid any BLUE light hitting the plants during the dark time...

Photosynthetic Artificial Darkness: using higher wavelengths of far red light, moonlight and marslight, certain parts of the DNA triggers, much like a ticker, and mRNA forms, all without triggering the blue chromatiforic genetic triggering...

Yes but the problem is many green lights are nothing more then coloured bulbs not emitting in the green spectrum. So which one's do you trust? And what's a filtered light?

Here is an oddball idea: If light above 530nm is safe, try using a low power green laser, reflected off the roof (don't point the laser directly at your plants). Most high quality green lasers emit a pure 532nm. No more, no less. I would still try to keep the light intensity low for safety reasons (<15 mw is dim, but useable).

I'm wondering. I go in my room daily hour after lights off I have to remove ballast each day till I get another one. Plants see approx 8-10 seconds daily of very small amts of incandescent light form 20 feet away. Kind of like a headlight Fromm 100 yards away passing by. Will this screw up my flowering stage

Sorry but that's not only false but impossible since we can see moonlight. 730nm is infrared and outside of the human range of vision.

The nm of moonlight is the same as sunlight; simply reflecting off the gray surface of the moon does not affect that. The only reason it doesn't have an affect on plants is because even at it's fullest the moon shines with only a magnitude of -12.7 compared to the sun's -26.7. If you had 180,000 full moons you would have light that is the same as the sun in every way.

Rubbish!

Ive used blue incandescent and green incandescent bulbs. A Diesel wreck plant was exposed to both these lights on random occasion for at least 15minutes a time from starting of bloom (when it was put into 12/12) all the way through to maturation of bud (50% buds are mature). I got no hermies zero stress signs. Could it be the cross? maybe.

Now, who on this thread is talking out of their ass? and why would you want to suggest stuff you have not tried. I think these posts should be kept at max of 300 characters that way point is pudding. All one needed to say is as i did in the first para.

What have you used, what happened? did it work or not work? klaar. Whats with the picking at peoples comments falsifying them. How do you know it ddnt work when the person explicitly states he tried the method and it worked?

I have a blue light in corridor currently nothing in my dark room. The blue reaches the dark room with its edge light and at that point it sort of joins a clear frosted incandescent bulb that's in my toilet. I will try show a pic later.

Lets not be so quick to pick on info we our-self's have yet to try but feel it wont work. Science has zero place for your feelings. Its either compatible or its not.

PS: Blue light has a dark side - Harvard Health

Back
Top Bottom