Thumb tacks: Are you serious?

bckush

So I am getting close to harvesting my first ever plant and in looking at ways to try to increase yield I have been advised on this site and a few others to:

Take thumb tacks and stick them in the stems all over the plant the last week before harvest......I was told this increases resin production or something.

Any truth to this...I tend to think outside the box and if this will help....i'm willing to try it.

Any advice from the best growers on the planet??????

20170131_1158381.jpg

20170202_222710.jpg

20170129_224958.jpg

Thanks

:circle-of-love:

Guess anything possible, not sure how you can know it helps or doesn't though. That and in my mind causing the plant to spend energy trying to heal itself would be taking energy away from concentrating on Flowering, but I'm still learning and maybe I don't think like a Plant ;) even though I like to Veg out from time to time ;) :rofl:

Guess anything possible, not sure how you can know it helps or doesn't though. That and in my mind causing the plant to spend energy trying to heal itself would be taking energy away from concentrating on Flowering, but I'm still learning and maybe I don't think like a Plant ;) even though I like to Veg out from time to time ;) :rofl:

It was something about the stress increasing resin production...I don't know..to each there own but if it works I would give it a try

It was something about the stress increasing resin production...I don't know..to each there own but if it works I would give it a try

How long they been in Flower? Looks like they doing fine on their own IMHO, personally I would worry about making things worse....but I"m a WorryWart by nature (goes with being a Caregiver I guess, so I will just blame my Old Lady ;) :rofl: ),and the "if it isn't broke don't screw with it" approach, as that has bit me in the backside on lots of different things in life over the years ;)....but I"m still learning this, and I can't read the plants very well yet, so by the time I can tell something is going wrong it has gone way south at that point.

I've heard splitting the main stalk works.

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

I've heard splitting the main stalk works.

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

The whole reason for the thread....just seeing if anyone has done this with success

Someone has been going around and posting the 'stem splitting' questions in forums a bunch in the last few weeks. I haven't seen any answers come up. The basic idea has been around for decades- finding ways to torture the plant to supposedly 'make it create more resin'. I'm pretty skeptical. I find healthy plants produce better than sick or injured ones.
I really think the only way you'll find an answer is by doing it yourself. It's always going to just be speculation unless it's tested extensively using identically grown clones and lab tests. Or of course you can just go by feel and use your judgment whether you think the injured plant grows better buds.

Someone has been going around and posting the 'stem splitting' questions in forums a bunch in the last few weeks. I haven't seen any answers come up. The basic idea has been around for decades- finding ways to torture the plant to supposedly 'make it create more resin'. I'm pretty skeptical. I find healthy plants produce better than sick or injured ones.
I really think the only way you'll find an answer is by doing it yourself. It's always going to just be speculation unless it's tested extensively using identically grown clones and lab tests. Or of course you can just go by feel and use your judgment whether you think the injured plant grows better buds.

As a rookie..i don't know much...but I did separate a side branch from the main stem and tied it back together with a pipe cleaner.....that branch has the biggest cola on the whole plant......could just be luck.....I don't know......just askin questions in a quest for knowledge I guess.

Totally. It's always good to keep an open mind. Keep stretching it. I just keep coming to the conclusion that for a lot of these questions the only way to get a good answer is to find out firsthand. Even if some person comes along and posts -' I stick thumbtacks in my stems and my buds are twice as big as before ' and/or somebody else says 'it's complete bullshit and you're an idiot', which is how most of these conversations seem to go - can we believe it, and have we really learned anything?

Straight from Ed Rosenthal: Dear Scott — When people first started growing domestically, some growers initially thought THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) was produced by stress. They thought up all kinds of ways to stress (TORTURE) the plant. It was thought that putting a thumbtack in the stem would cause some kind of stress as well as supply "needed" metals.

THC is produced to protect the plant from certain stresses including predation but perhaps also as protection against UV light, not tacks.

One indication of this is that high quality marijuana plants produce more THC under high UVB light.

Straight from Ed’s Rosenthal: Dear Scott – When people first started growing domestically, some growers initially thought THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) was produced by stress. They thought up all kinds of ways to stress (TORTURE) the plant. It was thought that putting a thumbtack in the stem would cause some kind of stress as well as supply “needed” metals.

THC is produced to protect the plant from certain stresses including predation but perhaps also as protection against UV light, not tacks.

One indication of this is that high quality marijuana plants produce more THC under high UVB light.

:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm: :thumb:

LOL dude all of these “tips and tricks” I keep coming across are just too much, never ceases to amaze me. There’s no way that works, or if it does not well enough for any major growers to do it. If ppl really want to know what works, just look at the dudes who run warehouses with a 1000 lights, if they don’t do it...it’s because it doesn’t work.

I have just slashed the base of the stem outdoors 3 days before harvest. Best plant I have ever grown or smoked. 8 people could smoke a pinner and be high for hours. Intense taste smell and the best high. Not sure if it was that or just a lucky seed I planted. It was an Indica. They have used stem splitting since 1970 in Holland for growing flowers.

As a rookie..i don't know much...but I did separate a side branch from the main stem and tied it back together with a pipe cleaner.....that branch has the biggest cola on the whole plant......could just be luck.....I don't know......just askin questions in a quest for knowledge I guess.

I was trying to LST and split the stem, see pic, the blue tape in the bottom left, and now it is the biggest developing cola I have
D5051642-1C73-4FEE-B7A4-14FA0828455D.jpeg
, more than likey a coincidence but I wanted to share..I would not do any HST.

back in the early 90s, before there were grow sites, we used "alt.marijuana, alt.growing, alt.bigboobs, alt.biggerboobs...many of us were experimenting with every old timey farmers wisdom type things we found. fire close to the plants, nail through the stalk, twising the hurd all over the plant, getting them very dry... the theme was always sstressing the plant. it's funny to see how things get re-experimented on every few years. the only thing i kept was what is now called LST.

Back
Top Bottom