Anyone experimented with manipulating light & dark cycles?

gato

Hi, I have a grapefruit pheno of C-99 from FMS just starting to show flowers. The plant was one I kept in vegetation cycle to take some clones from....so it has been growing for a couple of months (kept small).

It was kept on 24hrs light and I have used heavy LST and is about 8 or 9 inches tall (with the tie downs). I would let it grow 12/12, but want a fast harvest. I also have 4 bag seeds as seedlings and one clone taken from the grapefruit trying to root for a larger harvest later.

Has anyone done experiments with altering light cycles during flowering? Such as maybe 4 to 6 or 7 days 12hrs light down to q couple of days of 10hrs light? Then going back to 12/12. If it makes a few male flowers...I don't mind...the seeds would be nice.

What would the effects be with altering a couple of days of 10hrs occasionally to try to harvest sooner and not lose much production?

It gets 7 to 9hrs of direct sun from a south facing balcony full length window...so on sunny days it gets plenty of light.

Thanks...I'm sure someone has experimented with light cycles? Everything else has been...lol

Interesting link about the use of far red light. Something I was not aware of. I read about the lantern technique at this forum and some odd light schedules, but it wasn't quite what I was interested in.

Reading that webpage caused me to recall many years ago, I attended a conference on horticulture for tree fruits. At that time cloning from leaf cultures was being experimented on. Forgotten what the details were, but recall she spoke of using different light wave spectrum for the effects of each on the leaf culture growth. They tested various light wave lengths and observed how the tissue cultures were affected by each. Maybe not directly relevant to what was wanted, but the study might prove useful.

It may have sounded like a dumb question, but maybe it isn't.

Will look into the use of far red light further. It may not be practical for actual use. Guess that is why they use far red light in photo developing. Seems it also applies to flowering plants.

Thanks

Yeah you are correct. It's a very legitiment question. I actualy re-veged a cannabis plant at one point when it was 1 week from flower. Some really weird stuff happened. It started growing single leafs rather than 5 leaf fans. They didn't have serration and the stems grew out of the top of the buds while the THC matured.
Leaf propagation through tissue culture only works on some species, I've tried a number of times and leaf cuttings of most plants into stage 1 normally fail. During my last conference, I found out light spectrum's act like plant hormones. Since LED's came out, people have been experimenting on various spectrum's to try and understand the effects of them. For example, red/far red light also causes shoot elongation. They have also found, blue light causes short tightly packed growth and makes flowering times longer. Even in vegetative growth more red light correlated to longer shoot production.

Hey..thanks for the info and the pix too.

It may be just me, but it's a bit odd sounding that red/far red light causes elongation and blue compact. Bluer spectrum, I always thought caused the stretching and more to the red end more compact (metal halide and HPS). Never really investigated the subject though. We didn't use artificial lights in the 2 orchards I managed...lol

That's interesting about how the plant behaved in reveg. It sounds logical to me.

I had taken clones from my Grapefruit Cindy while she was in first flowers...that I had started reveg and now decided to flower her out small, to have some pot to smoke (have nothing now--but did smoke some cindy shoots---lol---got a little buzz from them). That was the intent on asking about the photo-period manipulations...to see if I could hasten the harvest and not reduce quantity as much as possible.

Being extremely poor sucks. I know people who can get, but I don't ask them to buy my weed for me (they are not growers).

Thanks for the response...will check out your pix later...busy, busy right now.

Back
Top Bottom