Re-potting in flower

Randoobula

Wondering if anyone has ever re-potted a plant during flower. I have a regen in a ten gallon pot that's Day 22 of flower and it's putting on buds very slowly compared to her sister. I have a sneaky suspicion she is root bound.

My guess is re-potting at this point would put too much stress on her and set her back quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone has done it and what the result was.

It sounds weird but if possible, cutting off the bottom of the pot. Then just setting it on top of fresh medium in larger shallower container. IT DOES work. I start my seeds in 1.5 gallon pots. Before I fill it with soil, I perforate the bottom. With a drill bit, cut holes. In a circle about half the side of the pot. When the plants roots start to push through, I pop out the disc with a pair of needle nose pliers. All the dirt is not going to all fall out on you......

Just set it on top of a new 5 gallon bucket of dirt and wiggle it in a bit. Water and go on with life~!!. The roots will grow through the hole and start filling the bigger pot in days.......

You not only don`t disturb ANY root development, but if you water it through the first pot for now on. You are giving the center mass of the root ball the nuit's and water. Plus you lose no volume in the new pot....

Not having to remove the amount of soil in the smaller pot. You have 6.5 gallons of soil (in my case) instead of 3.5 gallons of soil and 1.5 gallons of existing roots and dirt. Just keep stacking them up. Two bungee cords will help keep it from toppling over if you are outside. With-in 2-3 weeks they will hold themselves up fine. (Until they make huge buds!!)

...Peace.....

:420:

i think its not the best idea to repot into flower tho, why not finish it and grow in bigger pots next time, i suppose airpots work well with what u ask tho u can remove the sides put them into a larger airpot and fill it up, but i think u shouldnt bother about root development during flower ! thats what veg is for, increase ur veg time and do it there perhaps is much safer. i wouldnt want my roots to go damaged during flower to be fair

I do it once in a while. Just so I can make the watering schedule work- which in my case revolves around being away weekdays. So the plants need to go at least five days without water each week, which is a pretty good time frame for the wet-dry cycle anyway
During the stretch period - if you've misjudged and your plant is outgrowing the pot- sure go ahead and transplant- your plant will be happy about it. Transplanting after the stretch period doesn't seem to hurt them at all- but I'm not really expecting much root growth after the transplant either. It's mostly (for me) just a matter of giving the plant a larger reservoir of water to draw on. I find plants in small pots that suck up the water and dry out in three days are still healthy enough, but it doesn't work for my schedule. If a plant is drying out in two days then it's obviously too big for the pot.
I just recently transplanted a sativa into a pot twice the size. It was at five weeks flowering but still stretching an inch a day- as it has been for over a month. The transplant stopped it dead in its tracks for a couple days. Now it's back to the inch per day thing again but hopefully it will start slowing soon.

Sorry guy! I forgot about this post and just now saw it again. Thanks for the responses.

I ended up just leaving them be and the plant I referenced ended up catching up and surpassing her sister.

Same with two CBD Lullaby x Jack that I put into flower when only 8" tall. They are in 2 and 3 gallon pots. They took a couple weeks longer to flower than the large well vegged plants but packed on some plumb sugary buds and trichs are now about same as others... cloudy.

I've learned a lot on my first grow and have so much more to learn. Grateful for all the advice here! Thanks!!

You can repot at any time, really. LATE in flower, as mentioned, you probably won't see much if any benefit because the plant isn't likely to expend much energy on root system development. Earlier than that, you might see a delay (in aboveground development), especially if the plant has become rootbound, because it generally will expend the energy on root development. That's not the same as a plant that has been stressed by poor(+/-) handling during the repotting procedure - although it may appear to be the same, since we generally only see what is occurring - or not occurring :;): - above ground.

Back
Top Bottom